Autocomplete painfully slow on iMac Pro

Hi

I have an iMac Pro and an old 2013 MacBook Pro. There isn’t a huge difference in the compilation speeds (disappointedly), but the iMac Pro Autocomplete is very slow in comparison to the MacBook Pro. If I quit Xojo on the iMac, it speeds up a small bit for a small while, but then goes back to a snails pace. I don’t have a lot running in the background of the iMac, just FileMaker Server and MySQL (MySQL is also running on the MacBook pro)

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?

Thanks

Chris

I’ve noticed this as well on a brand new MacBook Pro, however in the last few days it has magically gotten much, much better. I am somewhat at a loss to explain this.

Keep in mind that Xojo is just using one core, so while the iMac Pro has many cores each core is not dramatically more powerful (Geekbench scores of 5000 vs 4000, so 25% faster), and Xojo isn’t using the iMacs power.

Thanks for the replies Isaac and Markus. Yes, I’m aware of the Single/Multi Cores, but the iMac should still be faster (not much slower) than the 5 year old MacBook pro

Are you running the iMac at 5K? Try reducing the monitor resolution down to 2K and see if that helps. We have a user that reported issues with a tool that was literally 4x slower on his 5K iMac. When he dropped the resolution down, the speed returned to normal.

What exactly is slow? Reacting after typing? Doing a tab? Showing the menu with the items? Is it always slow? Is it slow when you have a huge list of menu items like for MBS?

I also have an 5k iMac and don’t see this problem. I find it much more frustrating that Autocomplete stops working for no reason so that I always have to check my typing.

Not the same. He has an iMac Pro.

So my computer is slower?

won’t notice the difference on a single core IMHO

Different != Slower

Thanks for your replies. Beatrix, I’ll put together a video comparison later today or tomorrow, but I would think I’m waiting close to 0.5 second as I type code on the iMac Pro and often more than a second for the autocomplete popup menu to appear. I do have some MBS plugins installed, but I have the very same ones installed in the MacBook Pro, so I don’t think that can be the issue.

Yes, my iMac is a Pro, not a 5K.

Thanks

I also have/had the problem that autocomplete doesn’t work anymore.
Now I found some sort of workaround to make autocomplete more or less work.

Problem:
Autocomplete should work after the . (dot) is placed, but doesn’t.

Workaround:
Place 2 . (2 dots) and remove the last one.
Now all of a certain autocomplete is working. :slight_smile:
On the other hand you have to do this over and over again. :frowning:

[quote=427545:@Paul Sondervan]I also have/had the problem that autocomplete doesn’t work anymore.

Problem:

Workaround:
On the other hand you have to do this over and over again. :([/quote]

On my Mac Pro I sometimes in get into a state where the . (autocomplete) doesnt work. I leave that section of code and come back (like go to edit another window and come back to that one as an example) and it starts working again, I have not reported this as I cant reliably reproduce it

thanks for the tip I will try it out the next time Xojo stops working,

Actually, any character after the dot, so if you know the first character of your autocomplete term, that will do it for you and no backspace :slight_smile:

No that is the problem, somehow autocomplete is broken.
Typing a character doesn’t activate autocomplete.
I don’t know why but 2 dots and removing the last dot does activate autocomplete.

[quote=427545:@Paul Sondervan]I also have/had the problem that autocomplete doesn’t work anymore.

Problem:

Workaround:
On the other hand you have to do this over and over again. :([/quote]

I get exactly the same issue on 2018 R4 on Windows 10 and have to workaround it the same way.

Odd, a first character always works here - at least under macOS and Linux.

Also, in my situation, it seems to be more related to a custom class/module than a built-in function.

I see that pattern as well. I’m on Mac and have constants defined in App and a Module. They almost never autocomplete even with the “…” workaround.

I think it worked as expected last week once or twice and then stopped working.

In the last couple of xojo versions they have done a lot of work improving the speed of the autocorrect and typing response, but there are definitely still situations that I get into where things become so sluggish that I have to quit the app and restart it and close all my tabs. I’m not sure what the exact series of events that cause it for me are, but it is much worse when I’m refactoring things and switching around and doing a lot of search and replace or just jumping around in the code via the search function.

It may have something to do with just having lots of folders and objects “open” in the left hand viewer as those open up when you hit a search result and if you don’t close them you end up with hundreds of lines in the project listbox on the left.

Sometimes closing all but one tab and making sure that no unnecessary items are open on the left doesn’t help at all either and only a quit and restart brings me temporarily back to normal.

I don’t have this problem nearly as badly when I am just developing something new, I feel like there is a leak in something as you move around a lot and that it gets noticeably worse over time. But not all the time or every time.

I’ve also noticed the problems with autocorrect getting confused or just giving up all together. This hasn’t bothered me as much as I’ve just switched to something else and come back and it’s working again, or I’ve forced the indentation to correct itself by removing and re-adding a conditional line or something that makes it redraw all that again and it comes back. Thats a minor issue for me so much so that I haven’t tried to figure out exactly what causes it. The typing slowdowns and other things that slow down like it taking 5 or 7 seconds to change to a new small segment of code after selecting it in the search results panel are more of a pain as those seconds have really been adding up lately as I’m doing a lot of that right now.

Any chance you have a lot of plugins installed on the iMac Pro and relatively few on the MacBook Pro? Perhaps that’s the difference?