Prep Fedora/CentOS/SuSE for Xojo use

Hi Folks,

If you use Fedora, CentOS, or a SuSE/OpenSuSE variant, there are a few things to take into account to get the Xojo environment running. Since all three default to KDE/QT as the desktop environment (unless you download a custom GNOME/GTK version), there are some things that you will need to do BEFORE trying to run the IDE. Also, do not bother with the DEB/RPM packages and just get the TGZ Xojo package.

Download the Xojo TGZ package to your Downloads folder and do this in a Terminal:

sudo -s yum -y install gtk3 gtk3-devel libunwind cd /opt mkdir xojo cd xojo tar -zxvf ~/Downloads/xojo2018r4.tgz

Next, add this file to /usr/share/applications/:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymcl05hvfq5mvxt/xojo2018r4.desktop?dl=1

You still need to use sudo to add any plugins to the resulting install in /opt/xojo/xojo2018/Plugins.

You’re now there based on my experience with CentOS 7.5.

1 Like

Thanks, Tim.

I’ve added these steps to the System Requirements page:

It should also be updated that there is an outstanding Feedback feature request for the .desktop and mime types files to be made available for download:

<https://xojo.com/issue/46267>

Hello @Tim Jones,

Strange i am Using Xojo with OpenSUSE 15.0 X64 Mate Desktop (Cinnamon and KDE also Installed). I used the RPMs for Install - And it Works great. - Yes while Installing i had to ignore the Warning about the “Unsigned / Corrupted” Package (and Via the GUI) i simply installed it ignoring some dependencys. Especially the “armhf.” dependency - because it is shipped with Xojo itself.

For Info the Feedback App Segfaults on Mate Desktop (i still don’t know why) - So to start and Use the Feedback App i have to switch Desktops (to Cinammon or KDE) - where it works Good.

Best Regards,

René Landscheidt

My steps alleviate any of that type of manipulation. You and I KNOW how that works, but many do not.

Ok. That’s right.

I also think that perhaps Xojo could look into OpenBuildService for Building the Packages.

Hmm. I think i make a feature Request for this.

PS: It is by OpenSUSE but it Supports building for other Linux-Platforms also.

SuSE’s OBS expects source level packages. We’re a SuSE development partner (and have been since the late 1990s).

Well, i have only created OBS-VM Server ad not really Configured Everything and gotten around to testing.

I Only saw that that they added new features to OBS after they shutdown SUSE-Studio (which i really liked) - to make up for the closing of SUSE-Studio.

I also just saw packages on software.opensuse.org which were not for OpenSUSE - Build via the OBS - saw Fedora- and Debian- Packages. And found it Interesting that i could build for multiple target Distros (I mean I could even build a AppImage to distribute the App.) - which is why i really want to look further into it - to maybe have a better way to build DEBs and RPMs (end maybe even AppImages) for my Apps.

I found a Howto to Build RPMs & DEBs from a “Binary”-Source File. So it should be possible to create the App (with Xojo or how every you want to an then Submit the tar.gz to OBS (or what ever format you want to use - as long as OBS can use it) with the “.spec” & “.dsc” files to build the packages via OBS for Distro Installation.

Updated 2019r1 .desktop file here:
Xojo 2019r1 Linux Desktop file

Also, since the icon setting is wrong in the Feedback deb/rpm, I also fixed Feedback file:
Xojo Feedback Desktop file

Copy them both into /usr/share/applications/ and they will show up in your Activities/Start/Applications menu.

Note - this also applies to other Linux distros, as well.

Updated 2019r1.1 .desktop file here:
Xojo 2019r1.1 Linux .desktop file

Also, since the icon setting is wrong in the Feedback deb/rpm, I also fixed Feedback file:

Is there any advantage of unpacking the tgz file to a system folder such as /opt? On Manjaro I downloaded the tgz file to my personal Downloads folder, unpacked it and run it from there. No problem as far as I can tell.

That is by definition of Linux (Unix) Filesystem Hierarchy https://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/opt.html you can install anything where you like but that is not “right”. Any program will run from anywhere, if it uses relative directories, PATHs are set or so. If the program has “hard” directories defined, then you need install in its right place.

If you use any of the predefined desktop files, you’ll need to modify the paths in the files for the new location.

As José says, it really is best to stick to standards when they are really a standard and move it to /opt/ :slight_smile:

[quote=474390:@Tim Jones]If you use any of the predefined desktop files, you’ll need to modify the paths in the files for the new location.

As José says, it really is best to stick to standards when they are really a standard and move it to /opt/ :)[/quote]
I also noted that the feedback program’s path in Xojo is hard coded to /opt/xojo. Xojo cannot find it if run from another location even though it is present in its own folder.

While Xojo made /opt the (hard coded) standard, I firmly believe Linux freedom should be honored. There are times when a user wants to try a program or a new version of it before installing it, or to simply keep it in a dedicated user folder instead of dispersing it across system folders. Development environments such as Lazarus (free pascal) even encourage the user to try a new version in a (temporary) user folder. I cannot think of a reason why Xojo couldn’t do the same. Just MHO.

And you are welcome to do so - with the understanding that you need to be able to supersede the product manufacturer’s design and implementation. Since real world apps must be designed for the majority, rather than the minority such as us, and the majority expect things to work without “fiddling” with system settings and even environment variables, you just need to be aware of the product’s requirements and work with/around them. Remember, there are far more of “them” than “us” in the real world of computer users. Imagine if you downloaded a Linux distro and /etc/ and /bin/ didn’t exist with the distro designer just placing the files from those standard locations in different folders on the system.

In the case of Feedback, please submit a feature request to make the change that you’re looking for.

Note - this also applies to other Linux distros, as well.

Updated 2019r3.1 .desktop file here:
Xojo 2019r3.1 Linux .desktop file

[quote=474488:@Tim Jones]In the case of Feedback, please submit a feature request to make the change that you’re looking for.[/quote]I did this morning.

@Tim Jones

thank you so much for creating this! Successfully works on PoP OS!

Added the 19r3.2 .desktop download file:
Xojo 2019r3.2 Linux .desktop file

Updated 2019r3.1 .desktop file here:
Xojo 2019r3.1 Linux .desktop file

Paul,

The Linux notes really need to be updated to refer to at least 19r3.2 and 20r1 as well as the notes provided for CentOS/etc. and Ubuntu/Mint/etc.

https://documentation.xojo.com/resources/system_requirements_for_current_version.html#Installing_tar_on_Fedora.2FCentOS.2FSuSE