All My "Getting Started" Questions

So first off, let me start this post off by saying I’m really excited about Xojo. For my purposes, It seems to check off a lot of boxes and with the coming addition of Android support to the pro license level it seems to be everything I need. I’m about half way through the Learn to program with Xojo book and my questions are:

1. How do I put my code in VCS like git? It looks like it saves everything as one giant binary instead of individual files for things like classes etc.
  2. Is it possible to share code/projects between computers? Sometimes I like to code from bed, or at Starbucks so I’m not always at my desktop and would be stoked to have a more resilient system for code sharing than just slapping my app on a flash stick and sneaker netting it around.
  3. How hard is it to style Xojo web apps? I absolutely hate writing markup and style sheets which is a big reason why Xojo was appealing to me, I can just drag and drop things onto a page/ form and BAM I has app.

Misc Questions
4. Why can’t Xojo simulate iPhone apps to develop on other platforms? Xojo has all the application elements like buttons and field boxes, It has it’s compiler so why can’t it produce a non-stylized version of my app using only Xojo objects on windows/linux and then build it on the mac fully when I’m ready to actually deploy it?
5. Is anyone here doing anything other than CRM/ business applications? I’m not trying to make a utility or a business application so I’m wondering if there are other devs out there that have managed to make something other than CRMs/utilities/ ETC.

Thank you all so much for reading and I’m looking forward to becoming knowledgeable enough to contribute to this community!

Let me answer a few:

1. You save in Xojo project format, which needs a Pro license. Than you get a folder with text files for version control.
  2. You could just check in/out of version tracking.
  3. Xojo has a style system, so you can create styles. If needed you can add additional CSS via page source object.
  4. iOS simulator is coming from Apple as part of Xcode. Xojo doesn’t make their own simulator.
  5. Xojo has been used to make a lot of real apps. Did you search for Xojo framework inside the apps in your Applications folder?

[quote=425900:@Christian Schmitz]

1. Xojo has been used to make a lot of real apps. Did you search for Xojo framework inside the apps in your Applications folder?[/quote]

Applications Folder? I’m developing on a windows machine. I’ve not seen anything in the Program files dir but I ahve seen the examples in the IDE when creating a new project.

Welcome to the community DJ. I’ve been using Xojo for 15 years. I’ve built everything from medical imaging viewers to isometric games to text adventures to my own interpreted Python-like scripting language. There really is no limit to what you can build with Xojo. Also, I don’t think you’ll find a more helpful community.

You need to save the project using the text file format. This is available for all licenses except Free and Lite.

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/code_management/using_source_control_with_xojo_projects.html

There are several ways to share code covered here:

You can use Web Styles to create styles that you can apply to pages and controls.

Xojo builds native iOS apps, something which is just flat-out impossible on anything other than a Mac since the requires access to several Apple components from Xcode (linker, simulator, libraries, etc).

Xojo can be used to make just about any type of app you can imagine, although database-type apps are very common. Some non-traditional apps are shown here: Xojo: Xojo Programming: Example Apps

[quote=425897:@DJ Kemmet]
3. It is not done by hand writing code, but not as flexible, also, the web apps are quite outdated, maybe you want to wait until the release of the Web 2.0 to stat.

1. I also was really disappointed when I purchase the Licence and discover that you cant do anything for iOS on windows. Also ask the WHY not questions, and the short answer is, because xojo dont want to. I have a Mac, but, in my opinion, is not worth it to leave your PC just for that.

The answer is because while you might be able to edit a project on non-macOS platforms you cannot run it to test it on anything but a Mac or a VM running macOS that has Xcode installed. We use the Apple Simulators for running iOS projects - the same as Xcode does. The most you can do is edit. You can’t test at all. That’s just not very useful and so it’s not enabled.

That is not true. You can also run it to test it on a physical device.

I have done iOS apps for almost 5 years now, in my PC with windows and never using a simulator, it can be done. So, the answer is, because xojo dont want to.

Not telling it should do it, nor as a complain, xojo decide what to do and what dont with its product, I’m just stating the facts.

@Ivan:

Care to share your experience ?

[quote=426072:@Ivan Tellez]That is not true. You can also run it to test it on a physical device.

I have done iOS apps for almost 5 years now, in my PC with windows and never using a simulator, it can be done. So, the answer is, because xojo dont want to.

Not telling it should do it, nor as a complain, xojo decide what to do and what dont with its product, I’m just stating the facts.[/quote]

Yes, like Emile, I would like to know how you did this using Xojo?

unless it was one of those HTML5 hacks, which Apple is now not accepting if I recall correctly

He didn’t say he used Xojo :slight_smile:

The OP asked about Xojo :slight_smile:

https://forum.xojo.com/52587-all-my-getting-started-questions/p1#p426069

Yes, I know that, but @Ivan Tellez said

“I have done iOS apps for almost 5 years now, in my PC with windows and never using a simulator, it can be done. So, the answer is, because xojo dont want to.”

and your subsequent question directed to him assumed that he meant he used Xojo, which I’m not sure is a valid assumption.

My response to Ivan was regarding his assertion that we do not permit / enable editing and running iOS projects on non-Mac platforms just because.

See: https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/426069

We don’t because it’s not useful to only be able to edit given that we use Apples simulators & that entire runtime environment for debugging. Other tools may do something else - but they’re not what the OP asked about.

Actually you are not aswering the question:

He is NOT talking about compiling for iOS, nor about an iOS simulator. He is talking about to edit and work on a iOS proyect and debug it compiling a DESKTOP app, using the UI and the logic of the iOS proyect. Actually a logic asumption for a “Getting Started” question. For example, when you create, deign, edit and debug a Raspberry PI app on windows.

And, he is right, the code it is supposed to be the same and the controls could be replaced for the desktop counterparts, So, he is asking, WHY xojo decided not to do that.

Well, @Julia Truchsess is right. I’m using another tool, NOT xojo. It creates native apps compiled with xcode and I know that cant discuss that in here. I just said that since it is actually posible to work on windows, it is just a Xojo desition to not give that option, not an apple policy. And I give that answer because instead of aswering the question you said it whas because apple.

[quote=426093:@Emile Schwarz]@Ivan:

Care to share your experience ?[/quote]

Sorry, it is a forum rule: “Do not advertise or promote other companies or their products which may compete with those of Xojo, Inc.”

I thought the OP was asking why he can’t edit and test his iOS app on non-Macplatform then use a Mac to do the final deploy but maybe i misunderstood. I think the OP has the info. that they need.

Like any tool, there are things that Xojo particularly excels at. Many of us are making a healthy living building in-house business applications and other consulting work but Xojo can be used to build anything you can imagine. I’ve used it to build everything from Server Ranger to a soccer management mobile game.

This is not the answer I was awaiting.

But I understand between the words, that a Windows solution (at most) exists. I can make a search to get names.

Now, Jason interpretation (of my question) is also valid.

At last, Xojo product, Xojo decision. Who (not me) knows what the future may gives ?

Also, Xojo (not yet) provide no Android solution. Who knows (not me) where Android application will be able to be created when a Xojo application creation will exist (will be released).

My answer to that question is… who knows ? Maybe time constraints added to price to develop inhouse iPhone simulator /lack of user interest, … / not wanted to recreate the wheel ?

One can also add to its list of question(s): “Why Java compilation was removed from REALbasic ?”

As Paul said… it requires components of XCode to test a “Xojo for iOS” app… and what Apple calls an iOS Simulator is actually more of an iOS Emulator, as it emulates multiple versions of iOS (9.3 thru 12.1 currently), and “simulates” the hardware (both display and user interactions) for every currently support iOS Device which is quite a few. I believe that it would NOT be in Xojo’s best interest, nor that of their customers to waste resource trying to duplicate what is a highly complex testing environment.

I would bet that any competing product, either uses HTML5/Javascript (which Apple is beginning to discourage) or makes a lame attempt at providing a mockup level with little if any operability.

I happen to be developing a drag/drop app for helping to speed up UI development for Swift. This app could be compiled to run on both macOS and Windows… and the Windows version could even create the Xcode project files… BUT it could not run them, because it too requires Xcode to do the final compile