Xojo IDE Does not scale when Maximized on Linux

Hey All,

So I’m using 2018r4 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and regardless of DE (I use gnome or pantheon) the IDE does not scale properly when maximized. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and may know where the conversation on this issue is and/or what a fix might be?

Thank you!

I’m running 18.04.2 default install and things look correct here.

I am also experiencing this issue on elementary OS

FWIW, Elementary is not on the officially supported list.

Yes I know this but Elementary OS 5.0 Juno is based on the same Ubuntu version 18.04 LTS (bionic) that the op was posting about and having an issue with.

Also apps built with the Xojo IDE work and resize/scale correctly, it’s just the IDE itself that does not.

My usual dev environment is MacOS on a 15" MBP but I thought I would try out elementary on my desktop workstation instead of Windows.

The IDE on Linux needs some long-overdue TLC from Xojo Inc. IMHO so I would stick to the supported Linux versions to try to minimise the issues. Mac is probably the best Xojo IDE if Apple security is OK for your needs although its our policy to develop on the platform we will deploy for devs to better understand (especially me) our deployment environment…

Did you know up to half of OSes running on Microsoft Azzure could be Linux?

Here, in a sentence, is why there will never be a ‘year of the Linux desktop’
Too many unknowables.

I’ll agree with Eric and put out there that your development platform does not need to be your release platform. I’ve used every release out there since 1993 and the myriad desktop types and varying versions of XFree/Xorg and Wayland being passed around will drive you over the edge if you keep trying to play the “square peg - round hole” game with the IDE. If Elementary is a target for you, and your app runs properly there, that’s all that you need to worry about. Build yourself a full stack Linux system based on Mint, Ubuntu, SuSE, or Fedora and get development work done.

I’ve long used Mint 18 and 19 as my primary platform, but the updates and stability in Ubuntu have shifted my desktop to Ubuntu 18.04.2 as of late. I also used to despise Unity (and I still install Cinnamon just in case), but it’s much more stable and works as expected without the old hacks from the 16 and 17 releases.

Keep an Elementary VM handy for testing.

Bookmark http://mirrors.kernel.org for the latest versions with great download performance.

Your Linux life will be much less agitating.

[quote=426866:@Tim Jones]I’ve long used Mint 18 and 19 as my primary platform, but the updates and stability in Ubuntu have shifted my desktop to Ubuntu 18.04.2 as of late. I also used to despise Unity (and I still install Cinnamon just in case), but it’s much more stable and works as expected without the old hacks from the 16 and 17 releases.[/quote]Iirc 18.04 doesn’t have Unity, it has Gnome adapted to look like Unity. I think Unity was also dropped when Canonical abandoned mobile.

Well, that would explain why I now like it compared to 16.04 :).