Should I submit non reproducible bug reports?

If the IDE crashes randomly and I know that I’ll never be able to reproduce it, does it help Xojo to file a Feedback report when the IDE asks or is it usually just noise?

I see the tickets I do create get closed as non reproducible. Do they still help establishing a pattern?

@Stephen Dodd — For every software, I would say that it is helpful to send the report if the application asks you to do so, because it means it has detected the crash/problem and gathered helpful data. Of course, it also depends on whether you trust the company.

Explicitly filing a bug report, on the other hand, seems quite a waste of time for the end-user.

“Report them, report them all”

I’m sure I have that quote wrong :wink:

If they don’t want them, I’m sure they’ll let you know.

And who knows ? Maybe someone get data and add them to Bug Report…

@Emile Schwarz — “Et la marmotte mets le chocolat dans le papier d’alu…”

Sorry guys, French reference!

[quote=424165:@Stephen Dodd]If the IDE crashes randomly and I know that I’ll never be able to reproduce it, does it help Xojo to file a Feedback report when the IDE asks or is it usually just noise?

I see the tickets I do create get closed as non reproducible. Do they still help establishing a pattern?[/quote]

Are you also working on a mac? We only have those random, not-reproducible crashes on Mac since 2018r1.Windows is not affected.
Xojo sometimes crashes up to 10 times/day …
The error we get is almost always : Crash near _nanov2_allocate_from_block …

a feedback bug report which Xojo Inc. can’t be reproduced is getting closed very soon.

But you can talk here about it and we may find it together.
Like with nanov2_allocate_from_block, it may be more interesting to see stack trace.

If it’s memory corruption at another place, the stack trace is not showing the positions where the problem is.

Most of the times you get frustrated when it happens, it takes you out of your concentration and when it happens too often, you may be thinking about switching to something else. Especially when you end up in a endless loop after you press the Report button. When they quickly close the feedback because the lack of data for reproduction, you feel like a monkey. (Without bread) .
But nevertheless I think it’s important the team at least knows that it happens to us and how often. And aecond, Xojo developers using the IDE can never be blamed for the errors they get, so please take all seriously.

Thanks for all the thoughts, guys. I’m going to continue to push my non reproducible reports. There’s no single crash I can see standing out from the rest.