Tools Used with Xojo

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 weeks ago

Joost R

Feb 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

@Paul S - you forgot at least one:
    - QueryDb - the fantastic SQL-tool (+ classes) we have build 2 years ago.

3. Sascha S

Feb 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany

@Joost R I use this great tool for 22 years already.

10.11.2002 here :)

4. Emile S

Feb 2 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

I created a demo (based on a Hierarchical Listbox) years ago that I expanded lately and added minutes ago a button to set Visible displayed items because my Firefox folder (in the System files) named Profiles holds 9 invisibles folders (1.92GB).

Go figure !

PS: I wasted sometimes with AppleScript (more than one hour), then make a search (a quest!) on the internet and even with some advices, all the scripts failed. So I turned my energy to Xojo and that project (and I once more waste time, but this time it was to find the project !).

5. Eugene D

Feb 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

Platforms: Windows and Raspberry Pi

Paint.Net (Windows Store) – Paint program for graphics

VNC Server/Client for Windows/Raspberry Pi Real VNC – connect and work with Raspberry Pi apps with Windows

Ice Cream Screen Recorder Ice Cream – Videos controls not registered on the screen with Xojo for Feedback

Microsoft Word 2019 Microsoft Word – Creates Books

Jutoh Jutoh – Creates Kindle books

XML Validator XML Validator – checks for errors in received and sent XML

JSON Formatter Json Formatter – verify format of received and sent JSON

Etcher Etcher – Formatting Raspberry Pi SD Cards on Windows

Visual Studio Visual Studio – Make plugins for Xojo on Windows

FlashPrint Flash Print – Convert 3D models to print for Raspberry Pi Xojo Automation

3D Builder (Windows Store) – Create 3D models for Raspberry Pi Automation

6. Affinity Designer for creating logo's, icons, user-interface objects and other graphical projects
    Affinity Photo for editing and manipulating photographs
    Affinity Publisher (beta) for future desktop publishing
    Clip Paint Studio EX mostly for game objects
    Rebelle for game characters
    Blender for animations
    Scirra Construct 3 for game development and creation
    Jutoh for writing ebooks
    Writers Cafe
    HiLogic FontCreator
    Brackets for coding responsive websites in HTML5/CSS/JavaScript
    Sublime Text Editor for some HTML5/CSS but mostly JavaScript projects
    FastStone Screencapture
    Blueberry FlashBack for video tutorials
    ProShow Producer for slideshows
    RagTime for document processing

7. Joost R

Feb 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

@Eugene D which tool do you use to setup and maintain databases and which database do you use most. ?

8. Eugene D

Feb 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca
    Edited 3 weeks ago

@Joost R @Eugene D which tool do you use to setup and maintain databases and which database do you use most. ?

For desktop applications I like to use the SQLite database and use the SQLite Database Browser for manual editing. Loading an SQLite database in memory is nice for applications that need fast information.

Internet applications or a busy business network that requires multiple users accessing the database, I prefer the PostgreSQL database, and the PGAdmin IV editor is nice.

If I am training a class of people who have never seen a database before, then I like to use Microsoft Access because they can visually see the information and the editor is included. Once the students are able to understand the basics behind a database, then its easy for them to use SQLite or PostreSQL.

9. Eugene D

@Joost R @Paul S - you forgot at least one:

Is this a public database editor, and where could I find out more information about it?

10. Dean D

Feb 3 Santa Ynez California

For Windows
    Actual Installer for packaging app for distribution
    kSign for code signing your app
    Help Scribble for creating Windows help files
    WinSCP for SFTP and FTP client

11. Art G

Feb 3 Prescott AZ

Pixelmator and GraphicConverter for creating app icons and in-app graphics, although I use Xojo's iOSImageMaker for the the bazillion different icon sizes I need for iOS.

12. Mark S

Feb 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers
    Edited 3 weeks ago

On OSX:

Default Folder X (https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/ ) - Wraps around all OSX file open dialogs. Example: has a list of the most recently touched files

HoudaSpot (https://www.houdah.com/houdahSpot/ ) - instant file find utility based on the Spotlight index with tons of options

ChronoSync (https://www.econtechnologies.com ) - Copy/move/manipulate files on schedule

FIleJuicer (https://echoone.com/filejuicer/ ) - Tears apart a file into component parts like embedded graphics

GeekTool (https://www.tynsoe.org/v2/geektool/ ) - Displays things on your desktop like how many days since you rebooted or just a picture.

And one more

Better Touch Tool () - https://folivora.ai - Lots of geeky things to do with mice, trackpads, Touch Bar, Keyboard. I started using it to slow down the track pad tracking while pressing the control key to help make a pixel level selection during a screen shot with SnagIT.

13. Emile S

Feb 3 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Eugene: what about using UML for DB creation (learnings) ?

14. Eugene D

@Emile S @Eugene: what about using UML for DB creation (learnings) ?

Hi Emily,

I did not think about UML for use with a database. I am sure that UML could be use with DB creation. I do not mean anything negative, and here is a quote from DataVersity:

The UML is a popular modeling notation for programmers, but it is little used by database developers. One reason is technical - the UML creators ignored databases. Another reason is that few UML tools support database design.

DataVersity

Sure, it can be used, and I don't believe that it is common. Maybe someone has better information on this question?

15. Joost R

Feb 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

Started using UML back in 1999 already, used Enterprise Architect , but it has fallen into disuse because no one around me is using / understanding it.
    Since I use Navicat, I do work with ERD for database design and synchronizing database structures.

16. Joost R

Feb 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands
    Edited 3 weeks ago

@Eugene D @Joost R @Paul S - you forgot at least one:

Is this a public database editor, and where could I find out more information about it?

Although we're using this self made (with Xojo) tool every day intensively in our projects, we have never exposed it to the community, except that we had it shortly in a presentation Paul and I did at the MBS Conferens in Berlin back in 2017.
    In short: it abstracts database interaction (sqlite, prostgressql, mysql and sqlserver) using prepared statements under the hood, and enables the developer to create complex parameter-queries and transactional excecution, stores the sql in a encrypted sqlite file in the resource-folder, to be read by the QueryDb class on creation of it's object.
    Sharing means supporting, manuals, adding features and database-engines others want to have in, etc. I just lack the time for it at the moment.

17. Emile S

Feb 4 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

UML:
    I fall into an Open Classroom entry that uses UML (with Eclipse) for Data Base and was surprised, three days ago.
    That is why I wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks.

18. Jean-Yves P

Feb 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

@Joost R Sharing means supporting, manuals, adding features and database-engines others want to have in, etc. I just lack the time for it at the moment.

may be you could just present it to the community with some video or web site or pdf, without having to support it ?

19. Joost R

Feb 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

@Dean D Actual Installer for packaging app for distribution

Is Actual Installer better / easier than Inno Setup ?

20. Dean D

Feb 5 Santa Ynez California

@Joost R Is Actual Installer better / easier than Inno Setup ?

I used Inno Setup before I found Actual Installer. After trying the demo version of Actual, I bought it and have no regrets.

21. 2 weeks ago

Valéry T

Feb 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Aix les bains, France

I'll only add : Sketch

or Sign Up to reply!