Mac Intel -> ARM switch

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 days ago

Michel B

Jun 30 Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 3 days ago

@NataschaChrobok To go back to the original topic: the ARM switch could be Apples first step of merging the Macs with the iPads. Considering that an iPad Pro has more computing power than a Macbook Air, this would be a logical step.

The problem with Apple is dogmatism. Long ago, Saint Steve said that the mouse on the iPad is evil. As a result, there is no way to plug any mouse or trackpad on an iPad (much less an iPhone).

On the Mac side, Federighi basically said that him alive, never would the Mac be touch enabled.

Now, will ever Apple permit the iPad to have a mouse, or the Mac a touch interface ?

BTW, any Android device can take a mouse. When one plugs one, the cursor shows very nicely, like on a PC.

3. Bill G

Jun 30 Testers
    Edited 3 days ago

@Michel B Now, will ever Apple permit the iPad to have a mouse,

They already do .

4. Geoff P

Jun 30 Xojo Inc Austin, Texas

@Rod P This is Apple, there is next to zero chance that they will pass any savings onto consumers, they will just make more profit.

I'm not so sure. There's tremendous downward price pressure in the PC market. By making their own processors, Apple could save money and thus lower the price of Macs to make them more price competitive while maintaining their already envious margins.

5. Geoff P

Jun 30 Xojo Inc Austin, Texas

@Rod P I’m liking Big Sur too (although some of the new icons look a bit childish) but it feels fast on my MacBook Pro.

What year model is your MacBook Pro? I tried installing it on an external drive but I can't get my MacBook Pro to boot to that drive.

6. Tim J

Jun 30 Testers, Xojo Pro N. Phoenix, AZ
    Edited 3 days ago

@Geoff P What year model is your MacBook Pro? I tried installing it on an external drive but I can't get my MacBook Pro to boot to that drive.

If your's is like mine, you'll need to hold OPT down for every boot that you want to start BS. (they really didn't think about that name ...)

7. Norman P

Jun 30 Testers, Xojo Pro outside admiring the sunshine,...

I think you have to restart once in recovery mode and set the T2 chip to permit it before you can make this work
    At least one T2 enabled models
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01/15/how-to-make-new-t2-secured-macs-boot-from-external-drives

8. Beatrix W

Jun 30 Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

Yesterday I heard a new version of the abbreviation: "bug, sir". Fits like a glove.

9. Jeff T

Jun 30 Midlands of England, Europe

@Tim J @Geoff P What year model is your MacBook Pro? I tried installing it on an external drive but I can't get my MacBook Pro to boot to that drive.

Mine is a 13inch Retina 2015.
    USB3 external hard drive. Select it as the new boot drive in system prefs, restart and we're in.
    Actually surprisingly responsive considering external drive.. feels smoother than when I had Mojave on the same drive a while back.
    Of course, when testing new OS like this, each external drive has what amounts to a virgin system, unlike my work environment which is full of the results of years of work..

10. David C

Jul 1 Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Derby, ITM

@Tim J they really didn't think about that name

I agree. Insular Californians. I keep reading it as 'Big Slur'.

11. Tomas J

Jul 1 Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

@Tim J t to start BS

Haha... Indeed... I asked myself, what he's meaning with "BS"? Few seconds later it made "click" ;-)

12. Beatrix W

Jul 1 Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)
    Edited 3 days ago

The thing is before Catalina we didn't always like Apple. But we respected the fruit company. Along came Catalina and the names got not complimentary. I really thought that they would at least try to get their act together for Catalina +1.

But BS is so terrible. It's looking "fresh" while being totally unstable (computer restarts daily or so, Maps is unusable). I can't see some things at all (menubar or sidebar). Apps have black in black windows. Apps crash or don't start. This is an early alpha and not a beta.

And the names we give BS reflect the missing quality. Even if Apple get's their act together until September.

13. Rod P

Jul 1 Testers Truro, Cornwall, UK.

@Geoff P What year model is your MacBook Pro? I tried installing it on an external drive but I can't get my MacBook Pro to boot to that drive.

-image-

14. Thom M

Jul 1 Greater Hartford Area, CT

@Beatrix W The thing is before Catalina we didn't always like Apple. But we respected the fruit company. Along came Catalina and the names got not complimentary. I really thought that they would at least try to get their act together for Catalina +1.

But BS is so terrible. It's looking "fresh" while being totally unstable (computer restarts daily or so, Maps is unusable). I can't see some things at all (menubar or sidebar). Apps have black in black windows. Apps crash or don't start. This is an early alpha and not a beta.

And the names we give BS reflect the missing quality. Even if Apple get's their act together until September.

It’s the very first beta for crying out loud. The first betas of every OS release has plenty of bugs. Remember last year when Xojo scrambled to ditch FSRef because it was crashing Xojo apps? Apple still fixed a bug in the long since deprecated code, and the panic was for nothing. Though we’re better off for it.

You can’t say this will be a bad release based on the first beta.

15. Rod P

Edited 3 days ago

@Thom M It’s the very first beta for crying out loud. The first betas of every OS release has plenty of bugs. Remember last year when Xojo scrambled to ditch FSRef because it was crashing Xojo apps? Apple still fixed a bug in the long since deprecated code, and the panic was for nothing. Though we’re better off for it.

You can’t say this will be a bad release based on the first beta.

Came here to post something along those lines but you beat me to it.

Months of testing and releases to come yet.

16. Beatrix W

Jul 1 Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

Please don't put words in my mouth. I've been beta testing macOS versions for 10 years or so. I'm - obviously - doing beta testing for my own software. I have worked for a large organisation where I was responsible for the bug tracker. Of course, Apple will fix some bugs. However, I have never ever seen such a terrible beta from Apple.

17. 2 days ago

Emile S

Jul 1 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Tim J BS. (they really didn't think about that name ...)

Do you know something about The Beach Boys ?

They have an LP named 20/20∞ Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVamFiNw-rs

So, we have to search the bull !@#$% elsewhere ;)

18. Rod P

@Beatrix W However, I have never ever seen such a terrible beta from Apple.

What are you finding? I've not found it particularly worse than other betas? Mavericks was way worse from memory, most apps crashed with the first two betas of that one.

19. Thom M

Jul 1 Greater Hartford Area, CT

@Beatrix W Please don't put words in my mouth. I've been beta testing macOS versions for 10 years or so. I'm - obviously - doing beta testing for my own software. I have worked for a large organisation where I was responsible for the bug tracker. Of course, Apple will fix some bugs. However, I have never ever seen such a terrible beta from Apple.

My apologies, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. Not that it matters, but in my experience this beta is very good. The only issue I've run into so far - and it's a very annoying one - is it deleting my saved wifi networks from iCloud Keychain, so then all my devices fall off the network. Since iCloud Keychain absolutely refused to turn off, my only option has been to sign out of that machine entirely.

20. Michel B

2 days ago Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 2 days ago

@Bill G They already do .

Well, what do you know ? I tried last year, and never would the iPad condescend to recognize the Magic Mouse...

Things are moving, apparently. Probably the result of presenting iPad Pro as a "computer". Compared to a Surface Pro, that was a joke.

@Jeff T Mine is a 13inch Retina 2015.

+1
    Install and run of Big Sur as smooth as silk.

@Thom M in my experience this beta is very good.

So far, it is quite usable. I did not run into the WiFi issue, BTW.

21. 7 hours ago

Jürg O

7 hours ago Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 7 hours ago

@Geoff P I tried installing it on an external drive but I can't get my MacBook Pro to boot to that drive.

In another Thread you've mentioned that you're using the newest 16" MacBook Pro...
    ... so just in case you are not aware of this: since this machine has an Apple T2 Security Chip, you need to explicitly allow booting from external drives using the Startup Security Utility .
    "by default" this is turned off, which would explain what you are experiencing.

or Sign Up to reply!