Considering Mojave..

I’m a deliberate late adopter.

Working on the the basis that “my setup works, why mess with it”, I usually delay installing a new OS for some time.
But taking stock this month I find my main machine (the one with all the licences and certificates on it) is still on Sierra. (not even High…)

I have VMs and external HDs with Mojave for testing the finished apps, but due to my Xojo licence, I can’t build on them, (although I can obviously debug on a few).

So I’m considering taking the plunge and going Mojave on main machine.
Who is using Mojave on their main machine, and does anyone know of any “gotchas” I should be aware of before running the upgrade?

I’m still on 10.11 and able to work normaly. :wink:
will update only when the apps I use will ask for it.

I was in much the same situation… but I upgraded to Mojave on my main machine, and use Xojo 2018r4 every day…
and the only gotchas are items that are more related to Xojo than to Mojave

The newer the version of macOS the more stupid the security becomes.

To install VMWare on High Sierra I had to unplug my Wacom tablet and quit Chrome.

I work with AppleScripts. On every run of the main project I have to confirm “yes, I want to do an AppleScript”. Every §$%& time.

I usually work on a stable setup and rely on VM and external disks with other SO versions when required (additional development, testing, and so on…)

As a + for Mojave, I really like dark mode and have it turned on all the time while I am developing.

Personally, I can take it or leave it.

What irritates me is the perceived need to change my code for it.
Getting things ‘dark mode ready’ will eat development time I could be using to create real features, rather than ‘go faster stripes’

[quote=421390:@Jean-Yves Pochez]I’m still on 10.11 and able to work normaly. :wink:
will update only when the apps I use will ask for it.[/quote]
You should at least update to 10.12 for better HTMLViewer support, not just in your own work, but any app that uses a web view. The version of WebKit there is very old and difficult for modern web code to support. Safari uses a newer version of WebKit, so this isn’t always obvious.

For a real world example of how this may affect things without realizing it, my app needs to do an OAuth interaction. Normally, it presents a web view for the login. I use the events to capture the access token when complete. On 10.10 and 10.11 though, because rendering is so bad, I have to use ShowURL to have the user’s browser do it and url scheme handlers to get the access token from the browser to my app. This is much less reliable, mostly because then the App object has to “find” the object that started the OAuth transaction. It’s a total pain.

But my point is, you may be getting workarounds that you don’t even know are workarounds.

Just my 2¢.

I’ll even take Thom’s comment one further and recommend 10.13.6. I have a secondary boot drive running Mojave, but I’m not finding it stable enough in simple daily tasks for full time use.

I am using Mojave for my daily work, private use and development. No issues so far. Yes, the new security stuff is sometimes anoying but … it just works… :slight_smile:

[quote=421395:@Beatrix Willius]I work with AppleScripts. On every run of the main project I have to confirm “yes, I want to do an AppleScript”. Every §$%& time.

[/quote]

I agree this is fantastically annoying. Did you file a report at bugreport.apple.com? It’s the only way Apple will listen…

I’ve just run Carbon Copy Cloner to offload the whole drive to an external, and be bootable
(Diskutility should be able to do this, but errored on every attempt.)

I can whole heartedly recommend CCC … simple, painless, and quite fast.
I was able to boot from the external drive to check it and it was all perfect.
So plunge taking at any moment, I think. :slight_smile:

[quote=421404:@Jeff Tullin]What irritates me is the perceived need to change my code for it.
Getting things ‘dark mode ready’ will eat development time I could be using to create real features, rather than ‘go faster stripes’[/quote]

About 10 years ago, Mac OS X didn’t require EVERY developer to update their apps to change the theme:
https://mac.appstorm.net/general/20-stunning-themes-for-mac-os-x/

I was always up to date with mac OS X.

But things changed, I actually am on El Capitan, something I never do earlier. Three OS versions late ! And I have a friend who still is running Lion… go figure. *

Nota: I am not happy with El Capitan, but more recents OS are worst (this started when 10.3 was released, go figure). My current MacBook Pro was built in 2014-11…

• His reasons are different. Some of his applications needs upgrades ($$$) if he updates his 2009 (I think) MacBook Pro OS.

On my reasonably new 5k iMac I find Mojave to be a little slow and not as zippy (responsive) as the previous version. You mileage may vary.

As far as Dark Mode I’ve been forcing myself to use it for a few days and it does grown on you but otherwise I can take it or leave it. Perhaps it’s because not all apps support dark mode so going back and forth between apps is a pain.

I tried it (its first appearance, years ago), then the one in Mojave and do not “understand” its utility / leave it where it is and try to forget it, just like so many other macOS features like a larger Cursor (do not always works: a click may fall elsewhere), etc.

Now, for those who like the Dark Mode: continue to use it…

• I strongly hate the Windows monitor border cursor “glue” feature. The mouse cursor is magnetically set to the monitor border when your cursor unlucky touch (reach) the monitor border.

Until Yosemite, I would ALWAYS run the latest beta of the macOS and be able to use it for production. I’d file bug reports for the issues I found and they’d get fixed.

Yosemite was an absolute disaster in my humble opinion, but I stuck with it tweaking my apps so that they would be consistent to the new mobile phone looking desktop OS. I upgraded to El Cap. Sierra had so many issues on my test machine, that I didn’t update my production, high sierra didn’t show any noticeable improvements…

It’s been so long since I last upgraded my production machine, that I simply don’t want to anymore. I still use my 2015 MacBook in Yosemite, because f it’s slowness in modern OS versions. I got quite pissed off with it last year, it got soo slow that I could no longer use it for watching YouTube for more than 5 minutes. Turned out that Apple silently enables “thermal” throttling, rather than warn you the machine is getting too hot, it simply slows it down. Going back to Yosemite solved this.

@Sam Rowlands : did you try MacFanControl to better cool your macbook ?

The MacBook doesn’t have a fan… Under High Sierra, I had no idea what was causing the machine to slow down. I’d re-installed the OS, just in case. I’d tried a whole bunch of things, researched online, nothing seemed to help.

Then I wiped the drive and replaced it with Yosemite; after 5 minutes of watching YouTube, a notification popped up to say the machine was getting too hot. Aha! So I adjusted the machine (it’s now on a stand) and have continued to watch YouTube on it since.

what model of macbook is it ? “the” 12" macbook ?