run 32-bit application on 64-bit Ubuntu system

I’m running Ubuntu Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS in my VMWare virtual machine and some of my xojo mbs example cannot run. It pops up a window showing msg like “Compilation of “USB device linux” failed”
and “an error occurred when attempting to launch the application. This can be a result of missing required 32 bit libraries.”

I did follow the solution on “http://documentation.xojo.com/resources/system_requirements_for_current_version.html” to run the cmd for Ubuntu 16+
"
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
"
But the problem is still there. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Which MBS Example is that?

With ldd in Terminal you can check which library is missing. e.g. Libusb may be missing.

My understanding is sudo apt-get update only fetches the list of latest updates. To actually get the upgrades you also will need to run in the terminal:

sudo apt-get upgrade

[quote=422526:@Eric Wilson]My understanding is sudo apt-get update only fetches the list of latest updates. To actually get the upgrades you also will need to run in the terminal:

sudo apt-get upgrade

Upgrade will also move you between major versions. 18.x to 19.x for instance. Update should get you the new items for your currently installed major version only (18.1 to 18.2 for example).

I also suspect that behavior is different for Long Term Support (LTS) versions.

No - moving up a release requires “apt dist-upgrade”.