files not loaded alphabetically in mojave

Hello,
after upgrading from Sierra to Mojave, I noticed that files loaded from a folder are not loaded alphabetically.
The folder contains about 80 files named 01, 02, 03 etc., and the code is the usual:

mArray() as string
for i as integer = 1 to f.count
doSomethingWith f.trueItem(i)
next

where I expect the result of the loop to depend on alphabetically loaded files.

So now, in Mojave, I changed the approach, creating an array of all the f.trueItems(i).NativePath, sorting the array, and then performing the job using the array.

Is there a more simple way? Suggestions welcome.
Thanks.

I do not think that the list of file names in a folder has ever been guaranteed to be in alphabetical order by Xojo or macOS.

But it is nice to know how Mojave behaves.

Yes, you are right: there has never been any guaranty, especially (I guess) if file names started with capital and non-capital letter.
And I would add that usually one sorts a listbox after loading files. But in this particular in-house project, since files named 01, 02, 03 worked fine, I never bothered to apply the right approach.

Well I guess we all need to be more careful from now on

Ive seen this behaviour for a while now (High Sierra) …it came in with the APFS file system.

Much less than 1% of my customers ever mentioned the problem. I’d estimate less than 1% were using APFS, but new installs of Mojave

I havent found one yet.
It adds a few extra lines of code, but it has the advantage that you can custom sort if you wish… (maybe you display grouped by type, then by alphabetic filename…)

@Jeff Tullin

I upgraded to Mojave directly from Sierra, and I see that my file-system is APFS. Actually I do not know what file-system I had with Sierra. Could it be that installing Mojave the file-system too gets changed? I’m no expert on this topic.

The installer asks you if you want to convert to AFPS.

Funny (different): I uploaded files in my Web “MediaFire” account yesterday and noticed the files were sorted by file size (smaller first / larger last). El Capitan.

Back to the OP: the idea is to load all files name for the target folder in an array, sort the array and use the result the way you actually do (recreation of a FolderItem using the FolderItem [Parent] and use it in the project).

I hope this is clear enough.

@Beatrix Willius

So I may have missed it. Were you asked at the end of the installation process? Because I’m sure I was not asked at the beginning.

[Edited]

From Disk Utility:
Type: APFS Volume
Connection: PCI
Device: disk1s1

From System Report:
EFI:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
File System: MS-DOS FAT32
BSD Name: disk0s1
Content: EFI
Volume UUID: 0E239BC6-F960-3107-89CF-1C97F78BB46B
disk0s2:
Capacity: 250.79 GB (250,790,436,864 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s2
Content: Apple_APFS

If it asked, I never remember seeing it either… and my system internal drive IS now APFS (and I would have answered NO, if I’d been given a choice)… my external drives are all HFS+

That is unless it was already APFS (I bought it new Aug2017)

This is going to be the most reliable way to ensure that your files are loaded alphabetically, regardless of the OS.

I know it used to with High Sierra, but like others I don’t recall seeing it as an option when I updated to Mojave (from 10.10).

What this is doing there ? (Windows XP file System !).

Did you format your hard disk when you purchased it ?
How long does it takes (seconds or hours) ?

If No Or Yes and seconds: you have troubles with your hard disk.

Make a backup of your data on another hard disk,
Format your hard disk (this may takes hour to hours (depends on the size / HDD-SSD)
Install Mojave back to your hard disk,
Install back your data.

Just in case (I can be wrong): what people here think about what I wrote above ?

[quote=419433:@Emile Schwarz]File System: MS-DOS FAT32: What this is doing there ? (Windows XP file System !).

Just in case (I can be wrong): what people here think about what I wrote above ?[/quote]

This is correct because the EFI Partitition must be based on a FAT-Filesystem for backward compatibility.

@Sasha: on macOS ?

FAT32 cries when you attempt to store a > 4GB file.

And, I do not have that in my System Report’ SATA/SATAExpress/ APPLE SSD SM0256F / EFI (Same UUID !).
Nota: El Capitan.

Mojave takes “five cup of tea time to dring” from boot HDD to the moment I can fire System Report !

But, if you are sure (even if this looks strange to me)…

My Boot external Mojave also do not asked me about APFS (but it is APFS: I cannot access to its contents when I am running El Capitan…).
Or: I forgot (or wanted to know what it looks like).

Yes, because your machine has just finished the POST process.

BTW While updating to High Sierra, the Installer was asking me if i want to convert to APFS. While updating from High Sierra to Mojave, it was not asking me but informed me it will convert my internal Drive(s) from HPFS to APFS.

But it should still be possible to install without APFS conversion with the --converttoapfs NO switch.

Hi Sasha: you were right…

A friend of mine come to drink a cup of tea (he must heard me…), so while talking together, I booted on my Mojave HDD.

I learned one more thing today…

Hey Apple, what about a more recent FS (like NTFS) ?

NTFS is a robust FS released in 1992. I would not call it a more recent FS. Apple File System has been released to the public in 2017 and is indeed a recent FS. I am pretty sure that NTFS also had it’s flaws when it had been released and matured over time.

Both have their pros and cons. But for EFI a simple FS (without Journaling and other fancy stuff) is recommended.

@Emile Schwarz

No. I never formatted my hard disk. My MBP is a late 2013. Whatever happened to it, it was silently/automatically done by Apple.