Web App Deployment

Hello everyone!
I’m taking the first steps in web programming, and I’m having difficulties performing the deployment on the server.

I have a domain on a Linux server, and I do not know how to move.

I’m using Xojo on a Windows PC, and the first question is this: in the web application should I set “Linux” in the “Build” section?
I would say yes, but I would like confirmation from those who know more than me.

I set CGI in the Deployment Type property.

And now the main question: what should I do with the files generated by the building of the application?
In which folder should I deploy them?
In my domain there is the “cgi-bin” folder: do I have to deploy there?
I tried to find some documentation clear enough for me, but I did not find anything.

I hope someone can shed light in the darkness of my ignorance!

Thank you, have a nice day.

Usa standalone invece di cgi, pi semplice, ti genera un eseguibile con al’'interno un server web autonomo.
Poi lo copi sul server linux in una cartella sotto la cartella home dell’utente e poi lo puoi schedulare con cron per l’esecuzione.
Quando lo generi, imposta l’ascolto su ad esempio la porta 9000, poi da un browser lo richiami es. in locale http://192.168.0.10:9000
Io uso server Ubuntu e gestisco tutto con webmin… in maniera grafica gestisci cron e un file manager per navigare sulle cartelle e fare tutte le operazioni su file e cartelle (copia, cancellazione, etc.) da e verso il tuo pc e il server.
Inoltre le app web standalone sono molto pi performanti delle cgi.

[quote=418826:@Nedi Freguglia]Hello everyone!
I’m taking the first steps in web programming, and I’m having difficulties performing the deployment on the server.

I have a domain on a Linux server, and I do not know how to move.

I’m using Xojo on a Windows PC, and the first question is this: in the web application should I set “Linux” in the “Build” section?
I would say yes, but I would like confirmation from those who know more than me.[/quote]
Yes

[quote]
I set CGI in the Deployment Type property.

And now the main question: what should I do with the files generated by the building of the application?
In which folder should I deploy them?
In my domain there is the “cgi-bin” folder: do I have to deploy there?[/quote]
Yes

[quote]I tried to find some documentation clear enough for me, but I did not find anything.

I hope someone can shed light in the darkness of my ignorance!

Thank you, have a nice day.[/quote]
Some notes:

• make sure cgi-bin is working on your server, sometimes is set but not configured
  • what version of Xojo are you using? Xojo 2018 needs libunwind8 library on Linux
  • what Linux server are you using? Some older Linux software doesn’t have libunwind8
  • make sure you change the r/w/x for the files you upload to your server
  • if you Linux server is 64bit then build for 64bit
    Good luck.

Note: I don’t have much experience with Xojo web, but I did all of the above to build a couple of cgi apps.

Thank you, Alberto.

I am sure cgi-bin is working

[quote]what version of Xojo are you using? Xojo 2018 needs libunwind8 library on Linux
what Linux server are you using? Some older Linux software doesn’t have libunwind8 [/quote]
I am using Xojo 2017r3

Have I to change these attributes for ALL the uploaded files?

Ok.

I think I changed the x attribute for the application and application.cgi files and both folders. I’m sure there is information on the docs. If you can’t find it I’ll try to find the info. I think config.cfg changed to allow writing.

Edit: you can’t have 2 or more cgi-bin directly on cgi-bin folder, you need something like cgi-bin/app1/app1.cgi cgi-bin/app2/app2.cgi by default, if you want to put 2 or more on cgi-bin you will need to rename config.cfg and edit application.cgi to search for the new name instead of config.cfg

The attributes r/w/x stand for Read/Write/eXecute?
In this case I can change them using the control panel of my domain (it seems to me that by default the permissions Read and Execute are already set)

Yes, Read/Write/eXecute. I think the only file with Write attribute is config.cfg, I can check later today if you want.

This is the error:
Fri, 21 Dec 2018 18:00:16 GMT [alert] - www.nedifreguglia.it - /web/htdocs/www.nedifreguglia.it/home/cgi-bin/HelloWorld/.htaccess: Options not allowed here

Ercole, ho creato un’applicazione semplice semplice e l’ho compilata per Linux 64 bit standalone, porta 9000: nome applicazione HelloWorld
Poi ho copiato la cartella HelloWorld contenente l’applicazione compilata nella root del mio dominio Linux (www.nedifreguglia.it)
Nella cartella che ho copiato nella root ci sono le 2 cartelle Libs e Resources e un file senza estensione (HelloWorld)

Per eseguire l’applicazione devo impostare sul browser l’indirizzo www.nedifreguglia.it/HelloWorld/HelloWorld:9000 ?
Ho provato ma mi dice “The requested URL /HelloWorld/HelloWorld:9000 was not found on this server.”

Aiuto……

Nedi, the port number is only needed if you have a stand alone web app and not for cgi apps.

I see that you want to execute HelloWorld and not HelloWorld.cgi, are you really building cgi app?

The error in .htaccess maybe is something not supported by your web server.

Excuse Me, Alberto, but my last post was a response to Ercole (trying with standalone app)

It works!!!
CGI application - port 9000 - delete the .htaccess file

@Alberto De Poo @Ercole Gosi Now I can deploy my CGI web app on Linux server: I’d like to try with a Standalone web app, but I don’t know how to deploy it and how to launch it.
I’d like to try with both the type of web server, Windows and Linux.
Can you help me?

Thank you in advance.

Nedi

[quote=419041:@Nedi Freguglia]@Alberto De Poo @Ercole Gosi Now I can deploy my CGI web app on Linux server: I’d like to try with a Standalone web app, but I don’t know how to deploy it and how to launch it.
I’d like to try with both the type of web server, Windows and Linux.
Can you help me?

Thank you in advance.

Nedi[/quote]
http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/web-app-deployment

Thank you, Ralph, for your reply. I have already read that documentation, but it’s not clear how I can launch on a Windows computer.
Searching in the Internet I read that it may be launched through a Windows service: I create the service and then I typed the URL 127.0.0.1:9000 in the browser, and it works!
But now my problem is: it works on my computer, but I want my application work on the server where is my domain.
I have two domains: one with Windows server and the other with Linux server.
Can you tell me how can I run my application on the server?
Thank you.

[quote=419069:@Nedi Freguglia]
I have two domains: one with Windows server and the other with Linux server.
Can you tell me how can I run my application on the server?
Thank you.[/quote]

It is really going to depend on what kind of package you have bought from the Windows hosting provider. Do you have admin access and can create services or are you restricted to using CGI from an IIS website? What hosting provider are you using and which package did you buy.

Thank you James. At the moment I don’t know if I can create services on Windows server (I’ll investigate in the next days). Suppose I can: what have I to do to launch the application in the browser? Locally I type 127.0.0.1:9000, but on the server? Must I type the IP address of the server plus :9000?
And what about the Linux Server? What have I to do to launch my standalone app?
Forgive mi ignorance, but I am moving the first steps in web applications.
Thank you very much.