How to handle words without spaces

1. last year

I'm starting to translate some apps to chinese (simplified) and would appreciate help on this regarding my lack of knowledge for this language.

I have a function to display text in a canvas centered and splitted into rows, this function calculates needed space for the words (space separated characters) in a sentence but as far as I know they are no spaces in a simplified chinese sentence and my function won't split it because it is treated as a single word.

Is it correct to assume that each character is always a word and I can split a collection of characters at any place?

Thanks.

In Chinese, a single character can mean one thing but put next to another character, it can change the meaning of the word.

For instance, 我 means I or me but if put together as 我们, it means us as a collective group of people.

With that said, you have rightly pointed out that there is no word separator in Chinese so it is okay to treat each character as a lone character as far as doing splits. A native reader would know what the sentence mean by reading it.

2. Edited last year

In Chinese, a single character can mean one thing but put next to another character, it can change the meaning of the word.

For instance, 我 means I or me but if put together as 我们, it means us as a collective group of people.

With that said, you have rightly pointed out that there is no word separator in Chinese so it is okay to treat each character as a lone character as far as doing splits. A native reader would know what the sentence mean by reading it.

3. Thanks so much Edwin, this helps me a lot.

or Sign Up to reply!