Optimistic advertising ?

1. last week

Emile S

Dec 3 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

In the daily mirror (UK) web site, I watched an add that said something like:
    Create your application in less than an hour…

the add do not stays long enough to memorize its correct sentence (but less than an hour)…

Fortunately, I was not drinking my cup of tea while reading that…

And this is a good question:

What application can you do within one hour boundaries ? A good subject for the next summer example quizz ?
    ;-:)

2. Christian S

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

Modify an example project for your needs?
    Or build a simple prototype?

3. Emile S

Hi Christian,

An “Hello World !" kind of appication, but this is not what people understand while reading the advertising even with a little distance (it’s an advertising after all…).

4. Jeff T

Dec 3 Midlands of England, Europe

usually this is something that is a database application which defines one or more tables, and allows you to add, delete, and amend records, such as a club membership application.

To me , an hour is a stretch goal for a 'transformation' app - turn data from format X into format Y in a linear fashion.

I've seen games design software that drops a couple of objects with physics onto a screen and allows them to bounce around.
    You can get someone to 'do what you tell them' in an hour with ease.

You can't start from an idea and get a robust, feature rich app in any timeframe measured in less than a week. :)

5. Jean-Yves P

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

with Xojo, I can do a multi-tables database multi-window good-looking app today in less than an hour.
    but there are more than 3 years of work behind ...
    something like :
    -image-

6. Emile S

OK folks, I am slow. Or I always have something to add.

I was thinking 1 hour is just the time to write the application list of features.

7. Dave S

Dec 3 San Diego, California USA
    Edited last week

remember it is an ADVERTISEMENT. Their job is to SELL you something. They tell you what they think you want/need to hear, and don't tell you the rest.

• You can create an application in an hour!
    • (oh it won't be an app that will have any revenue potential)
    • (oh and you won't be able to create any revenue, unless you have the correct mind set (not everyone does))
    • (oh and even if you do have the right mind set, you need to find the right type of app to create)
    • (oh and it might take you months (or years) to design and write it)
    • (oh and then you have to market it)
  8. Tim J

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

I quite often create PoC and Unit Test apps in less than an hour - both are apps and both perform valid functions based on my needs. I guess it should be clarified as to the TYPE of app that can be created.

9. Dave S

Remember.. these ads are not aimed at US (experienced developers), but at people who have no idea what is involved, but have a romantic notion of becoming a billionaire by writing that next killer app (and doing it with little experience, knowledge or effort)

10. Tim J

Dec 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

Dave, Yep - in my Summer sessions at a local high school back with 2016r3, I did have 14-15 year olds creating To-Do lists and Contact lists after 3 days of general examples and instruction in a single 48 minute class. But they did know wht the general controls were, so the baseline was set before they attacked the projects.

11. Emile S

@Dave S They tell you what they think you want/need to hear, and don't tell you the rest.

I understand that, and we have laws in France agianst False Advertising.

In the other hand, this really is False Advertising. And False Advertising is wrong: once the user realize someone tricks her/him, and may ask for a refund. This looked (to me) just like adding water to a bottle of milk. Do not smile, this kind of thing was done decades ago, when our parents were as old as kids.

Also, as I aready stated, I am a bit slow regarding other entries above. Thanks folks.

My advice is to add an example in the product Examples folder that do something and can be done in around one hour.

An open contest (for Christmas ?) can be done with that only condition: to be build in 60 minutes max.
    You can use already created code snippets, but no already created icons or/and images, etc.
    (yes, I love this idea).

12. Dave S

I doubt there is anything False about what they say..... it is how the poor sap that falls for it actually INTERPETED what they said..

As Ringling once said... "There is a sucker born every minute"..

So if you read the fine print (which nobody does), you will most likely find they are not being false at all... but only telling you part of the required information

So if someone were to sue, they would probably lose, with the judging saying "You were stupid..." and the vendor laughing

13. Carsten B

Dec 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany, NRW, Europe

Don’t read this one hour as 60 minutes; compared to creating an app with Xcode or VS or Qt you can create a fully functional database app with Xojo in just „one hour“ ;-)

14. Tim J

Dec 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

It's like the Sams books - "Teach Yourself XXXXXXX In 24 Hours". It doesn't mean that you will become knowledgeable in XXXXXXX in one day, but that the curriculum as presented can be consumed in 24, one hour chunks.

15. Mark S

Dec 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers

Since computers existed I have been hearing about the elimination of the programmer. So far I don't think we have been eliminated.

Programming involves understanding a problem then crafting a solution. Artificial Intelligence may help some by creating the apps from "learned patterns" but in my experience the user frequently has a hard time describing the problem and the programmer ends up in an iterative process of "Try this ... OK I will change it ... OK now try this ... OK I will change it ...". All until the user has something they like that they could not fully articulate until they saw some initial example. Good programmers are better at finding the solution more quickly by understanding what the user needs but that has nothing to do with a tool.

Maybe a tool could help shorten the process but if it lacks flexibility it might only help to create the first prototype more quickly. Only experience and a degree of fluency with a tool can any person create good solutions to a problem.

16. Neil B

Dec 5 Pre-Release Testers

Why a whole hour? :)
    -image-

17. Emile S

Dec 5 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

“Xojo for Mobile” ® is no more needed !

18. Derk J

Dec 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

So xojo needs licensed for only 24 hours now?

19. Mark S

Dec 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers

1 hour to build
    1 day to debug
    1 lifetime to find somebody who likes what you built

20. Tim J

Dec 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

@Mark S 1 hour to build
    1 day to debug
    1 lifetime to find somebody who likes what you built

"Priceless" :D

or Sign Up to reply!