Only on select iPhones?

Does Apple still enforce the rule that your app must run on all members of a device class?
By that I mean if you release it for iPhone, it must work on all current iPhone models, if for iPad then all iPad models
and if Universal if must run on ALL current devices?

I have an app that simply won’t fit on iPhone5/6/7/8 models or Xs… it barely can be made to fit on 6/7/8 plus, XR and XsMax

and its not a matter of scrolling, there is a minimum amount of stuff that must all be on the screen at any one time and it must be “big” enough to interact with

my original plan was iPad only… but if I can somehow get part of the iPhone market that would be good… but can I exclude those with less than a certain minimum resolution?

managed to alter the UI to “fit” all devices… it just barely squeaks in on an iPhone5, but its workable I think

Before approving an app release/update, Apple team usually tests the app on an iPad.

But anyway if it doesn’t fit on an iPhone 6/7/8 then maybe it should only be released on iPad, or the UI/UX design is just wrong.

You can’t exclude a minimum resolution. It is all or nothing.

I guess if you target for iOS 12 then you will set the lowest iPhone to be iphone 6.

iPhone SE runs iOS12 and it only has a 4" screen

Thanks… after a few hours worth of design changes… I now have a fully adaptive design that fits great on everything from an iPhone5 to iPhoneXs, from iPad2 to iPad12.9 … might have been more difficult if it were landscape, but this is Portrait only so for this app that is not an issue. AND it works for iOS9.3 up to iOS12 so I got everybody covered except those with an iPhone4

Is it 32bit & 64bit?
If not, you don’t cover iPhone 5 nor iPhone 5c.

64bit… as that is Apples current requirement.

I have a similar issue but I cannot test my app on an iPhone SE 1st Generation. I’m using the iOSRectangle’s blur effects and that’s why it seems to crash the iPhone SE 1st Gen. simulator. Any advice or solution how I can test it on iPhone SE 1st Gen.?

On an actual device ?

The simulators ARE only simulators - they run x86 code not ARM code so there are always funky little differences

The blur effects are usually limited by which version of iOS is running. Is it possible that your iPhone SE simulator is running something older?

Hi Greg, I still have that issue. I try to run the app on the iPhone 6, iOS 12.1.

It crashes at this line of code:

recMenuBackground.SetEffect(iOSRectangle.BlurStyles.ExtraLight, iOSRectangle.VibrancyStyles.Fill, Nil)

The Xojo documentation https://documentation.xojo.com/api/deprecated/iosrectangle.html#iosrectangle-seteffect reads:

• blurStyle as iOSRectangle.BlurStyles - The type of blur. The BlurStyles enum defines 21 different styles, the first 6 work on all supported versions of iOS (10-13) styles 7-21 were introduced with iOS 13 and will only work on those devices.
  • vibrancyStyle as iOSRectangle.VibrancyStyles - Specifies the type of vibrancy you’d like to use with this rectangle. iOS 10-12 support two of the eight styles (Label and Fill) whereas iOS 13 supports all eight styles.

I am using one of the first 6 BlurStyles (ExtraLight) and the Fill VibrancyStyle, so both should work with iOS 12.1. It also crashes on an actual device and on other simulator devices running iOS 12.1.

Ok, so when the crash occurs, you can get a crash log from the Xcode device and simulators list by selecting the device, clicking Logs and then finding the most recent crash log for your app. After all of the header info, but before the thread stacks there is usually a section that will tell you what actually went wrong. I’m guessing that this one is going to say Unrecognized Selector or something to that effect.