OS's "First Time Use" hides my just compiled app

I don’t know if this happens on a PC but definitely on my Mac.
I compile the app and run it. Mac displays the “Do you want to open this app. It’s the first time”.
I click yes, and then have to go find my app.
I thought the activate event would solve the problem, but NO. It’s still last.
What do I do?

been writing Mac apps for years… never seen that happen… can you make a small test project that duplicates the issue?

Is your app signed?

mine rarely are… and this doesn’t manifest itself…

Ive seen “you downloaded this off internet” and “not optimized for 64bit” during testing… but never had it “vanish”

Sorry I can’t build one so far. It doesn’t vanish. It goes to the end of the line.

Sounds like something related to the Security and Privacy system preferences.

Line? What line?

The line of Apps that are open in my Mac.
Just to be clear the App opens. The line is something like “This is the first time this App is opened. Do you want to go to Finder Location?”
It’s the same almost as the “you’ve downloaded this app” message

[quote=416312:@Arthur Gabhart]The line of Apps that are open in my Mac.
Just to be clear the App opens. The line is something like “This is the first time this App is opened. Do you want to go to Finder Location?”
It’s the same almost as the “you’ve downloaded this app” message[/quote]
You mean in the Dock? Not sure that’s relevant in any way at all, that’s just where the Dock happens to put it, and you could move it if you wanted to.

Sounds to me like Gatekeeper thinks you’ve downloaded the app to somewhere sensitive. Where is your project file? And I assume your copy of the Xojo IDE is in th eApplications folder, yes?

Not the dock. (I wish it was that easy)
The display of Apps one Command-Tabs through to get the next one.
The active or App 0 is to the left. This security thing sends it to the far right or last.

[quote]Where is your project file?[/quote] No. Another I wish. It’s in the Documents folder.

I didn’t think you could work on files in App folder. Can you?

Is this running in debug mode?
have you got a breakpoint in Open()

[quote=416324:@Arthur Gabhart]Not the dock. (I wish it was that easy)
The display of Apps one Command-Tabs through to get the next one.
The active or App 0 is to the left. This security thing sends it to the far right or last.[/quote]
Ah - I never use that facility.

Well - so much for me being a clever-cloggs :slight_smile:

No, I don’t think so.

Are you running the compiled app under the debugger, or have you built an actual application? Either way, when it runs there should be an icon in the Dock for it. What happens if you do right-mouse on that icon, and then select Options → Show in Finder? Where is the actual executable being run from?

This is the window
Now it doesn’t move to the end. Grumble.
When I click on show in Finder, it’s exactly where it should be.
I actually have a shortcut for it there.

If nobody has any ideas, I’ll consider this just weird.

Searching the internet it looks like you may have some sort of LaunchServices database corruption.
Some info here and here.

[quote=416353:@Alberto De Poo]Searching the internet it looks like you may have some sort of LaunchServices database corruption.
Some info here and here.[/quote]
I think that might be the answer

I have a Xojo app which has xojo apps inside which run as helper apps. I have a complicated build system which builds the helper apps, then embeds them within the parent app.

Occasionally (perhaps one in 50 times?) I see this message for one of the helper apps.

I think it’s some sort of timing bug - it’s more likely to happen if I launch the app immediately after it’s built, but it seems if I wait a while it almost never happens.

Perhaps the OS is doing some sort of background processing of the newly built app, and if that hasn’t yet finished when you lauch it, boom?

macOS 10.12.6, various Xojo versions.

[quote=416339:@Arthur Gabhart]This is the window
Now it doesn’t move to the end. Grumble.
When I click on show in Finder, it’s exactly where it should be.
I actually have a shortcut for it there.[/quote]
When you select Show Application, it shows you where it is and does NOT launch it. You need to select Open to launch the app.

I’m not sure my answer is really best marked as “the solution” - I don’t know why this happens, or if what I’m seeing is the same as others.