How to force a listbox to finish a EditCell

1. 6 days ago

Stephen D

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers

How can I force a listbox to finish the user editing a cell so that the listbox.CellAction will fire?

I have a window where the user edits the contents of a listbox. On listbox.CellAction I save stuff.

If the user closes the window, the listbox.CellAction fires during the close event but the user changes are lost.

Can I force the listbox to finish editing the cell before I fire the close event?

@Stephen D How can I force a listbox to finish the user editing a cell so that the listbox.CellAction will fire?

I have a window where the user edits the contents of a listbox. On listbox.CellAction I save stuff.

If the user closes the window, the listbox.CellAction fires during the close event but the user changes are lost.

Can I force the listbox to finish editing the cell before I fire the close event?

You can call Editcell on a different listbox cell in the windows cancelclose or close event. That forces the running edit to finish.

2. Jean-Yves P

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

make a global method to save the changes
    call the method when the cella ction fires OR when the user closes the window

3. Stephen D

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers

The problem is I store the changed data on Cell Action then on window close I collate that to where it needs to go.

4. Jason P

Nov 8 Xojo Inc Answer http://xojo.com/

@Stephen D How can I force a listbox to finish the user editing a cell so that the listbox.CellAction will fire?

You can call Editcell on a different listbox cell in the windows cancelclose or close event. That forces the running edit to finish.

5. Markus W

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

Why don’t you use the CellLostFocus event instead???

6. Julian S

Nov 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK
    Edited 6 days ago

Put listbox.SetFocus() inside CancelClose so you move focus from the cell to the listbox itself, this also stops this crash happening Feedback Case #52488 in windows. It has to go in CancelClose or it will stop the window from actually closing due to the lateness of the focus change and I assume some bug with late cleanup of objects keeping the instance alive, but I digress ;)

7. 2 days ago

Stephen D

Nov 12 Pre-Release Testers

@Jason P You can call Editcell on a different listbox cell in the windows cancelclose or close event. That forces the running edit to finish.

Thanks. That works a charm.

8. Stephen D

@Markus W Why don’t you use the CellLostFocus event instead???

Thanks. That might work too.

9. Stephen D

Edited 2 days ago

@Julian S Put listbox.SetFocus() inside CancelClose so you move focus from the cell to the listbox itself, this also stops this crash happening Feedback Case #52488 in windows. It has to go in CancelClose or it will stop the window from actually closing due to the lateness of the focus change and I assume some bug with late cleanup of objects keeping the instance alive, but I digress ;)

Thanks! I'd do that but it's in a container and slightly more difficult to access the cancelClose event from there.

I signed onto the bug!

or Sign Up to reply!