Learning about "Dark Mode"

1. 6 days ago

Dave S

Nov 8 San Diego, California USA

It seems that if an app uses the "System" defined colors (Fillcolor, DarkTinge etc).... that Darkmode support is "fairly easy"
    but what if your app requires/allows the user to define a theme/skin using RGB colors.... or you have code where you as a developer used &Cdddddd instead of Fillcolor.

Is there an equation that can take a "light" version of RGB and return its "dark" version.... as I assume it is NOT just a matter of inverting the color

darkColor=MakeDarkRGB( rgb(123,096,234) ) // as an example
  2. Beatrix W

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

The theme colours should do this automatically. As I do a lot of custom drawing in my app I did most colours manually.

3. Dave S

Nov 8 San Diego, California USA

Yes I know the theme colors do... I am talking about being able to take a RGB color and converting it to its "dark" version

FYI.... I have discovered that some apps (at least XCode) switch to a whole different copy of "preferences"... so not only are the colors different, but if you had set custom Fonts/Sizes, you have to define those again as well

4. Ulrich B

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany, Berlin) · xo...

@Dave S Is there an equation that can take a "light" version of RGB and return its "dark" version.... as I assume it is NOT just a matter of inverting the color

No, not really. There are some SystemColors that have a different look depending on Dark Mode, like SystemRedColor (not available in Xojo but in CSTrueColors), and there is the new AddSystemEffect method that translates a color to a representation suitable for mouse clicks and other events, but I don’t know of any equation.
    For the Windows side of TrueColors’ SystemColors, I ended up multiplying the pure system colors with a touch of white or black, depending on their general look. This looks quite ok, but I had to fine tune them manually to look somewhat like Apple’s dark system colors.

5. Hal G

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Orlando, FL

There's a chrome extension called "Dark Reader":

It does a very good job swapping colors. You might be able to look at the source on github for something like a MakeDarkRGB method.

6. 5 days ago

Brian O

Nov 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Calgary, AB
    Edited 5 days ago

Medical imaging folk might wanna know if you use these tools when looking at medical images....
    Just sayin...

7. 4 days ago

Julia T

Nov 10 Sandy Hook, Connecticut

Such a ridiculous amount of brouhaha for a trivial feature that was available in the early 1990s under OS9 via extensions like ShapeShifter, until Apple made it impossible.

8. Emile S

Nov 11 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Julia T Such a ridiculous amount of brouhaha

Hear ! hear !

9. 3 days ago

Eduardo G

Nov 11 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Madrid, Spain)

@Julia T Such a ridiculous amount of brouhaha for a trivial feature that was available in the early 1990s under OS9 via extensions like ShapeShifter, until Apple made it impossible.

I was more of a Kaleidoscope fan (having been a fan of Greg Landweber from Greg's Windows and Greg's Browser).

Then Apple decided theming was a thing, included it in System 8 and then decided it was not and didn't allow it in OSX. *sigh*

I now look at the styles I loved to use and while some are still nice most are incredibly garish :D

-image-

Ironically, the one I liked the most in the end was Apple's own paper-based "Drawing Board" theme, which was only seen in Japan but eventually hackers made it work elsewhere.

-image-

Also the time of Window Tabs, control strip and many other features that made working in so small screens a lot more bearable :D

ObTopic: Some of the nicer "Dark mode" tricks I'm seeing make me remind of the playfulness of those times. For example, Microsoft is unexpectedly embracing Dark mode in a funny way, replacing suns in icons with moons: https://twitter.com/AgentAkki/status/1057011899420659712 (tweet with animated screenshot)

10. Julia T

Nov 11 Sandy Hook, Connecticut

Yes! Thank, you Eduardo for those screenshots :D It's been so long, I'd forgotten Kaleidoscope, but I loved and used those garish themes, they were so much fun. I loved being able to customize system sounds with Xounds as well.

or Sign Up to reply!