64 bits Applications Only: Status ?

While driving back home an hour ago, I was asking myself about Linux and Windows 64 bits Applications Status: when will they be mandatory ?

Do we have a time line as the one we have with mac OS ?

Yes, it is a strange idea to think at Xojo developent(s) while driving a car…

I just hope you were not typing your message while driving… though I know a little bit about driving around Strasbourg

No. Driving at Strasbourg or in any other city in the world is dangerous, very dangerous. Try to drive place de l’Étoile @ Paris !

When I have a developement idea, I wait some seconds for a traffic lights and wrote it on the back of a McDonald paying ticket, and then, when I am inside the restaurant or my home, I complete the text or implement the idea.
An idea is very important (do not forget it), but not at the expanse of health (mine or someone else)…

For Windows, 64 bit wouldn’t come mandatory any time soon. I had been releasing 64 bit only version of my apps to the Windows store and last year I got an email from Microsoft to also provide support for 32 bit devices so as to support their ARM based Windows systems. So I guess it would be here to stay for a while.

[quote=413305:@Emile Schwarz]While driving back home an hour ago, I was asking myself about Linux and Windows 64 bits Applications Status: when will they be mandatory ?

Do we have a time line as the one we have with mac OS ?

Yes, it is a strange idea to think at Xojo developent(s) while driving a car…[/quote]

Windows and Linux are unlikely to make it required in the same way Apple has. Linux distros are making it increasingly hard to find 32 bit compatibility libraries and a lot of distributions no longer ship 32 bit versions. So it’s mostly required to be 64 bit if you want to use up to date distros.

If Microsoft’s 16-bit support is any indication, 64-bit will become mandatory in a future 128-bit edition of the OS.

Windows is up to Microsoft and they have not said anything. Considering 32-bit Windows 10 is still being sold, this is far into the future.

I believe Ubuntu said they’re dropping some 32-bit distros, but Linux is not one single distro and 32-bit can still have its place on lower-spec devices (see Raspberry Pi/Raspbian). As with all things Linux, it’ll probably be like “herding cats”.