System.DebugLog

To be able to see and read the System.DebugLog string, I have to:

a. Run the project in the IDE,
b. Click in the IDE ,
c. Click in the System.DebugLog Icon (or whatever its name is)
d. Click in the application (window, icon dock icon, whatever).

What did I do wrong ?

Xojo 2018r3.

Sounds about right. There’s also an option in Options>Debugging at the bottom of the window called

Hide Search/Warnings/Messages pane on run

if you uncheck that, it wont hide the window at the bottom so you can open the Messages pane before you run which means you wont have to go through b and c above every time.

I forgot (?) to say that I open the Message pane before run (and then need to do that a second time after running the app in the IDE).

Now, either my explannation is wrong or I am in a bad day.

I just made a simple test:

a. Go to the system folders where Xojo (and Feedback) have a folder (with the LR db for example),
b. Modified theXojo folder name,
c. Go to the Xojo Cache folder and delete all of its contents, (yes, I know),
d. I fired Xojo 2018r3,
e. I clicked in the Icon that display the System text messages (use System.DebugLog “Text to display” to add a line there),
f. Load and run a project.

The message pane is closed (the one I just opened with a click in the rightmost icon (from the three centered ones…).

This does not worked like that with previous Xojo versions…

Now, my brain may have troubles, but that is what I get with Xojo 2018r3. And you ?

Did you unstick the option I mentioned previously?

Hi Julian,

I was not aware of this option, but since it “works” for three different cases…

BTW:I discovers that because of your clue. Thank you. I do not really noticed at first (in the dayloght), then I checked at night, after a long nap), then I found the release note that explain.
This preference have to be fine tuned (IMHO). If you set it to always display (or keep the Message pane visible), it disable the hide error display Message pane.

Nice and with sound (I have to hear it many times until I really understand what is said).

Another nice thing, not mandatory, but nice: how do you display the Controls names in the Labels (right) part of the IDE ?

BTW: I use El Capitan (with Xojo 2018r3 for this test project).

I have to comfess that I never use many times with a Xojo IDE version > than 2015r1 (the one I have a license to build). Usually, I fire the current version to check if the “bug” I have is mine or in Xojo; most of the time I have to change my code because it is the former.

Back to this Conversation reason:

I put the code in the MouseMove Event.

This code have text when you move the mouse Cursor above the read bug.

Me.Cell(100,100) "OutOfBoundsException?"

And this one does not display any error code.

Me.Cell(100,100) = "OutOfBoundsException?"

You noticed the equal (=) sign

Of course, get an eye on the debugger part and you will see the OutOfBoundsException Error.

But I was surprised by what is new (and strange) to me.

Are you using DebugLog to actually write messages to stdout or do you want to see the IDE’s messages?

Doh Emile, you need to stick to one thread, you have a conversation spanning three threads now :slight_smile:

Maybe if you talk to Stephane in French it will be easier, I’m having a hard time understanding the problem as something might be going wrong in translation (or my brain) :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Julian: I think I never press that button !

IDE message. I get an eye on Console, but for me, there are too many displayed characters.

Well, for the IDE messages, you also can launch the IDE from a Terminal window and stdout will be the Terminal window itself.

The path in the Terminal would be something like “/Applications/Xojo 2018 Release 3/Xojo.app/Contents/MacOS/Xojo”

Press Control-C in the Terminal window to forcibly terminate the Xojo process.

OK.