Recent message pane updates causing issues?

Is anyone else having a hard time debugging stuff past 1500 lines of system.debuglog ?

I’m getting huge delays in seeing the logs coming through, so much so that I’m resorting to DebugView in windows to see them in real time.

Anyone else getting this?

FYI I’m debugging some events so I’m expecting a lot of messages while I track something down, getting that in before this turns into a “why you do so much debug, do less debug, make happy” :wink:

I think to fix another issue the pane is now limited to last 1500 messages.

Its not limited, at least not in windows, it just gets really really slow after 1500. I’ll try it on mac and see what its like there.

Hmm, seems fine on mac, it figures it would only be a windows issue.

I’ve done some tests a put a ticket in, <https://xojo.com/issue/54010>

It’s a text area now. It used to be a mini web app. Adding a message would just execute some JavaScript to add it. Now I’m pretty sure they need to do something like Area.Text = Area.Text + Line. And that’s slow in comparison.

these are all reasons I wrote a simple “debug” method. the system logs lag… and sometimes messages end up out of sequence.
mine actually opens a file appends the msg, closes the file… and believe it or not, the performance hit is super small

[quote=413081:@Dave S]these are all reasons I wrote a simple “debug” method. the system logs lag… and sometimes messages end up out of sequence.
mine actually opens a file appends the msg, closes the file… and believe it or not, the performance hit is super small[/quote]
Yeah, but that doesn’t really help anything in this case. Xojo had a working solution and ditched it for some reason. I’m not sure why. The cynic in me thinks it was a faster way to handle dark mode, and/or because it was work I did. I don’t know what the real reason is though.

Don’t get be wrong, the web view had some issues. Copying data from it was a pain. But if you’re suggesting Xojo do away with the pane and log to a file instead, that’s definitely not the easy-to-use solution they should be looking for.

[quote=413083:@Thom McGrath]Yeah, but that doesn’t really help anything in this case. Xojo had a working solution and ditched it for some reason. I’m not sure why. The cynic in me thinks it was a faster way to handle dark mode, and/or because it was work I did. I don’t know what the real reason is though.

Don’t get be wrong, the web view had some issues. Copying data from it was a pain. But if you’re suggesting Xojo do away with the pane and log to a file instead, that’s definitely not the easy-to-use solution they should be looking for.[/quote]
We “ditched” it because it was not a working solution across the board. The HTMLViewer was overkill in terms of memory usage for just displaying text and when you got to very high amounts of data while it worked fine on macOS, it didn’t wasn’t viable Windows and Linux. As you mentioned, it left something to be desired when copying text.

Yeah Norman emailed me yesterday. I can accept the explanation, but it also feels like 6 of one, half dozen of the other. This solution still has problems like, as mentioned here, slow update speed and poor formatting.

Did he explain why it slows down when it goes over 1500 entries or why there’s a slow down in windows and not one on the mac?

I’d assume it’s because Windows is slower at string and text manipulation by a very wide margin.

Do you try the Console application to watch the debug text ?
(new to 2018r3))