MacOS Mojave Xojo IDE launch issue

I recently cloned my 256GB MacOS High Sierra drive to a 512GB drive for added disk space. Tested apps including my Xojo 2016 R4.1 and all was well. Then I updated this High Sierra platform to Mojave. Now Xojo IDE will not even launch. Xojo tech support was not able to provide a solution and suggested I post this to forum. Has anyone else run into similar problem with move to Mojave? Btw, it is not a licensing issue.

Also when I tried installing Xojo 2018 release to test if it may be related to a 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue, Xojo 2018 IDE launched but when I tried opening up an existing project (that runs fine on High Sierra), the IDE locks up and implies a bug but with no feedback information in IDE panes.

The Apple blessed solution is to import a user. I think I read on the MBS blog: when you clone a harddisk the first user isn’t trusted. And the newer the version of macOS the more secure (or paranoid) the system gets.

My recommendation: delete the new SSD, install a fresh copy of Mojave, then import your user.

[quote=412950:@Michael Kono]I recently cloned my 256GB MacOS High Sierra drive to a 512GB drive for added disk space. Tested apps including my Xojo 2016 R4.1 and all was well. Then I updated this High Sierra platform to Mojave. Now Xojo IDE will not even launch. Xojo tech support was not able to provide a solution and suggested I post this to forum. Has anyone else run into similar problem with move to Mojave? Btw, it is not a licensing issue.

Also when I tried installing Xojo 2018 release to test if it may be related to a 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue, Xojo 2018 IDE launched but when I tried opening up an existing project (that runs fine on High Sierra), the IDE locks up and implies a bug but with no feedback information in IDE panes.[/quote]
After you got the error and the ide crashed, did you launch Feedback to report the error? The IDE will usually save a report for that very purpose.

You can launch from Terminal and maybe see an error message there.

e.g. drop Xojo app on a new terminal window. Than add /Contents/MacOS/Xojo to point to the executable.

To Greg O’Lone,
IDE never opens. I contacted Xojo tech support and got several email responses but nothing worked. I posted wondering if anybody else has had problems with Mojave and Xojo.

To Beatrix,
Thanks for suggestion. I do suspect it is a security/privacy issue with Mojave. There are really two issues I have run into which are keeping me on High Sierra:

1. I am using Xojo 2016 r4.1 because Xojo has not offered me any improvements that I want to get me to upgrade license. That being said, r4.1 IDE does not even launch on my Mojave. I pursued your suggestion and did a fresh install of Mojave on test disk with a new user. Then restored all my apps from Time Machine bu. Tried launching r4.1. Same problem. IDE will not launch. Xojo icon just bounces up and down in dock.
  2. Second thing I tried was downloading 2018 r3 to Mojave and launching that on Mojave. The 2018 IDE launches and runs example projects installed from download. However, when I try to load my projects from 2016 r4.1 code base, the debugger just hangs with a red bug on an empty window pane. So the 2nd question is whether older 32-bit projects must be converted somehow to run with 2018 IDE environment? My assumption was that Xojo just stores the source code or some kind of intermediate code (pre-compile) so it should not matter what version of the IDE is being used.
  1. Could you have a plugin that causes a hang?

2. All of my old projects are in 32bit. You get the stupid warning and that’s it. What plugins do your projects use?

When you clone to a new drive (something that Apple discourages and doesn’t support any longer), the newer macOS will quarantine many non-system things. As Beatrix mentioned, your best solution is to install fresh onto the new drive and then import/copy your user from the old drive.

Thx to Beatrix and Tim…
I did finally resolve my Mojave issues by:

1. Upgrading from a High Sierra disk to Mojave using Apple Mojave Installer app resulted in FAILs on Xojo.

2. Scratch install of Mojave, Migration Assistant to move my user files over. Migrating Applications folder over resulted in FAILs on Xojo. So repeated process of scratch install, user file migration, and then TimeMachine BU to move individual 3rd party apps over, and finally re-installing Xojo manually. There is something related to Applications content that causes Xojo issues…probably a quarantine issue you suggested.

3. Once I had Mojave successfully scratch installed on test disk, my user files moved over, and apps re-installed including Xojo, I was able to successfully clone to production disk using SuperDuper.