Drawing Signature Onto Canvas (Windows Touchscreen)

1. ‹ Older
  2. 8 months ago

Ivan T

14 Dec 2018 Pre-Release Testers
    Edited 8 months ago

@Dave S That didn't take too long :)

Here it is... should work just find on macOS or Windows

www.rdsisemore.com/signature.xojo_xml_project.zip

That is actually terrible code with terrible looking and terrible performance. It has a LOT of flicker and uses a LOT of procesing. As this is mostly used in portable devices, it will made a noticeable decrease in the battery life.

Under any circumstances is a good idea to redraw ALL of the image just to ad a line of a few pixels. You shoud use caching and/or invalidating ONLY the modifyed part of the picture.

3. Ivan T

14 Dec 2018 Pre-Release Testers
    Edited 8 months ago

@Dave S FYI.. macOS CPU maxxed at 12% for 2.5 seconds...

Exactly, this approach is using 100% of the one core running the app. That is terrible performance for a simple task like this. Some people use 5 or 6 seconds, so, 100% core use for 4 seconds each it is a lot of wasted processing time and battery life.

@Dave S In my testing, this works fantastically,

The fact that in mac a bad aproeach looks ok, doesnt means that it is a good solution, nor taht it will work ok in other OS.

@Dave S DO YOU HAVE A BETTER SOLUTION?

shure:

@Pedro I;Tellez Corella You shoud use caching and/or invalidating ONLY the modifyed part of the picture.

@Dave S If you don't like it, need it or want it. then don't bother commenting...

My coment whas for Aaron Schacht, to let him know the issues and propose some improvements. Dont take it personal.

4. Bob K

14 Dec 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kansas City

Let's keep the discussion civil, please.

5. Aaron S

16 Dec 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro San Diego, CA

@Pedro I;Tellez Corella The solution Dave provided me with works very well, and in my particular case, it's only for a very specific purpose - quickly signing a legal waiver/release form on a Windows tablet. Pinning one CPU core for a few seconds will not really be an issue for my client. I do appreciate your suggestion. Still, I am too new to the Xojo platform to implement an image caching solution. Additionally, my strengths are more in the area of database development than anything else. Hopefully, in time, I'll develop my Xojo skills enough to offer my own suggestions and solutions to newbies on this forum!

or Sign Up to reply!