Multiple webapps

1. ‹ Older
  2. 5 weeks ago

Thanks to all!
    I studied the "http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/web-app-deployment" several times.
    But now i understand much more better.

To Tim Hare: if i setup a CGI i have to configure the config.conf or i have to setup different folders on the Apache. Both is unknown to me.

All the documentation is not made for beginners.
    I.e.: "To start a stand-alone web app, you simply run the app from the command line or terminal." That is correct.
    But i don't want to start it in a terminal, i want to start it in a browser (there is no explanation why and how).
    I lost a lot of time and nervs to play around. Then i started it in my terminal (PC / Linux) nothing happens. So i started Putty, connected with my new VPS, entered "./Reichweitentest_Android" and nothing happened.
    After that step it works in the browser!!!
    I need "Xojo web apps" for dummies (and in my language) ! :-)

I close this thread as solved! Thanks!

3. Alberto D

Nov 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Peter M Thanks to all!
    I studied the "http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/web-app-deployment" several times.
    But now i understand much more better.

To Tim Hare: if i setup a CGI i have to configure the config.conf or i have to setup different folders on the Apache. Both is unknown to me.

Look at the CGI Application section on that URL, it say:

On a properly configured web server, deploying a web app is as simple as using your SFTP client of choice to copy the entire web app folder’s contents to the cgi-bin folder (be sure to enable Binary mode for the transfer)

you don't need more than 1 cgi-bin configured on Apache, you need to put all your cgi-bin apps (and folders) on that cgi-bin on your server.

@Peter M All the documentation is not made for beginners.
    I.e.: "To start a stand-alone web app, you simply run the app from the command line or terminal." That is correct.
    But i don't want to start it in a terminal, i want to start it in a browser (there is no explanation why and how).
    I lost a lot of time and nervs to play around. Then i started it in my terminal (PC / Linux) nothing happens. So i started Putty, connected with my new VPS, entered "./Reichweitentest_Android" and nothing happened.
    After that step it works in the browser!!!

The documentation expect some server knowledge. I guess Apache is automatically running on your VPS, that's the same thing you need to do for your stand-alone web apps. If your server didn't start Apache, then the same "simply run from the command line or terminal" is needed for Apache.

4. ... and how to configure the config.cfg file with some different ports???

5. Greg O

Nov 2 Xojo Inc
    Edited 5 weeks ago

@Peter M ... and how to configure the config.cfg file with some different ports???

You don’t do that for cgi. Your best bet is to leave that as automatic and the peel script will automatically choose one when it launches.

...and standalone apps don’t use the config.cfg file. If you need to change the port of a standalone app, there are command line options for that. Look in the language reference under WebApplication for a list of options.

6. But how do i select different CGI's?
    They are all in the cgi-bin folder and every CGI-APP has a different config.cfg?

7. Paul B

Nov 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, Somerset)
    Edited 5 weeks ago

You put each of them and their resources in their own folder and adjust the 'path' accordingly to your app.

8. That's the problem: "You put each of them and their resources in their own folder and adjust the 'path' accordingly to your app."
    The path on the apache? Is there any documentation for dummies?

9. Alberto D

I think the issue is that webapp1, webapp2, webapp3 will have:

• config.cfg
    • webapp1
    • webapp1.cgi
    • webapp1 Libs
    • webapp1 Resources

so config.cfg will be the same for all 3 apps.

10. The config.cfg is the problem!

APPNAME=reichweitentest_web_01
    THREAD_COUNT=10
    PORT=0
    AUTO_PORT=1

I need config1.cfg, config2.cfg,... that will not work.

By the way, i deleted the old standalone for an update, but it runns as a demon?

11. Alberto D

@Peter M By the way, i deleted the old standalone for an update, but it runns as a demon?

Yes, a stand alone web app acts like a webserver, always running. You need to stop the process (if you have code in your app), or kill the process.

12. Ok, but how to kill the process? Is there any documenation?

13. Paul B

On my server I have CGI-bin, and then inside this app1, app2 etc.

Path to my app is server/CGI-bin/app1/app1.cgi, or in the case of app2, server/CGI-bin/app2/app2.cgi.

14. Alberto D

@Peter M Ok, but how to kill the process? Is there any documenation?

You can check the man pages for ps and kill (on your server).

@Paul B On my server I have CGI-bin, and then inside this app1, app2 etc.

Path to my app is server/CGI-bin/app1/app1.cgi, or in the case of app2, server/CGI-bin/app2/app2.cgi.

Do you copy config.cfg from Xojo's build? Do you merge all in one config.cfg? I think I can test this tomorrow. Thanks.

15. Tim J

Nov 2 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

Hi Pater,

You really need to look into learning about Unix-like systems. Until you have a basic understanding, you're never going to be able to understand everything that is going on. One of the books that we provide to interns here is this one:

Linux All In One

You might want to look into it so that you gain a better understanding of what we're all referring to.

16. Paul B

@Alberto D;Poo You can check the man pages for ps and kill (on your server).

Do you copy config.cfg from Xojo's build? Do you merge all in one config.cfg? I think I can test this tomorrow. Thanks.

I drag and drop the full build and files from the xojo folder to each of the app folders. Never had to mess about with the config files.

17. I know, but a newbie's problem is the time!
    To start a calculator for the WWW, i have to learn Xojo, to set up a virtual private server, install and manage an apache and configure and start CGI.
    Only the translation is a lot of work !
    If i work only with standalone, i have to work with Linx, but without Apache. That saves time!
    I found with top the PID and killed all daemons.
    Then i restarted the new app!

Everything is fine!

Thanks to all, you saved weeks of my life!

18. Greg O

Nov 2 Xojo Inc

@Peter M I know, but a newbie's problem is the time!
    To start a calculator for the WWW, i have to learn Xojo, to set up a virtual private server, install and manage an apache and configure and start CGI.
    Only the translation is a lot of work !
    If i work only with standalone, i have to work with Linx, but without Apache. That saves time!
    I found with top the PID and killed all daemons.
    Then i restarted the new app!

Everything is fine!

Thanks to all, you saved weeks of my life!

This is why Xojo Cloud exists.

19. This app should be a nice gimmick and FREE for ALL users.
    With the cloud i have to pay 5 k€ MORE in the next ten years!

20. Another question. Only for understanding.
    If i start the app it is neutral and i can insert my values.
    If i close the app, page, PC, clear the cache, etc. and visit the app again, all the values from the last visit are visible.
    My question is, where is the memory of that values for all the users???
    On my server, is it the daemon, are there a kind of cookies or ... ?

21. Tim J

Nov 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

@Peter M - read up on Session management in the Web App documentation. This is a good starting place:
    Xojo Web Apps

or Sign Up to reply!