Shared Classes BEst Practices RS & Xojo?

Hello all,

I have a folder of classes I use for development in RS2012 R2. I gentle touching the Xojo waters now, and need to use these same classes. Is it best to create a new Shared folder with a copy of these classes, or can I use the same classes, at the same time with both Rs and Xojo? Some of the classes are still being modified so any changes will be used on either or both platforms.

Thoughts?

Tim

I’m also running into a case where I need to support this.

Does anyone know if Classes can be shared between Xojo and RealStudio?

There’s no reason you can’t do this

I was just worried that Xojo might save these classes with a different extension or in a different format than RealStudio, and if I edited it in Xojo then it would no longer be readable by RealStudio. So you’re saying that this is not the case?

Is there any sort of safe guards or lazy loading that occurs during compiling so that if I make changes both in a Xojo and RealStudio version of the class, both versions will get the new content instead of overwriting each other back and forth when I save.

[quote=45549:@Brock Nash]I was just worried that Xojo might save these classes with a different extension or in a different format than RealStudio, and if I edited it in Xojo then it would no longer be readable by RealStudio. So you’re saying that this is not the case?
[/quote]
If you start with a Xojo extension Real Studio may change the extension
If you start with it named using a Real Studio extension Xojo should not change it (if it does its a bug as we designed it to not change them)

If its external then both will get updated when you save
But I’d avoid editing it in both projects at the same time

Great. Thanks for the very complete answer Norman!

Tim