Insert menu intermittently not working

Under Windows we seem to have an issue where the Insert menu stops working <https://xojo.com/issue/50157>. This means you have to close down the IDE and reopen everything. While this might seem like a minor inconvenience its really jarring when you’re in a good flow, you have your set up just as you want it and all the projects open that you’re working on.

Maybe some additional logging could be put into the Windows version to actually see what is failing when we click something on the Insert menu and it does literally nothing.

Bookmark this thread, If you see this happen, just post below “Happened again” and someone might actually look into the problem when they see how often if happens to us.

I’ll start.

Happened again

I’m curious… if you set up hotkeys for those items in the shortcut editor and use those, do you still have this problem?

Happened again.

That worked Greg. I added a shortcut of CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+M for Module and it added the Module. Also, the pre-existing shortcuts worked like CTRL+SHIFT+E for insert Event Handler before I added my own for Module. Even though this worked, using the Insert menu still doesn’t work but the +\/ buttons works just to the right of the Navigator search.

If it helps, all the other menus work except for the bottom section of the Window menu, where you have shortcuts to existing windows, 1,2,3,4 etc for the projects and the Language Reference (only shown if the LR is open) menu entry, none of those work.

Make sure that’s all in the big report please.

Done, I also added a video of it happening.

Happened again.

I’m going to get to the bottom of this soon.

According to my knowledge, this is not a 2018R3 problem but is there for some versions already.

I have not seen this issue, but then my projects are probably a bit simple. I do not have any plugins other than those delivered with Xojo.

I do find that after a period of time File->Open Recent will appear to work but does not load a new project. However performing the same function from the system tray icon will work. This is a sure indicator to me that Xojo is becoming screwed and will fail - so I reload the IDE.

Unlike others, I will often run the IDE for many days before reloading (triggered by the failure mentioned above).

Obvious questions are - What plugins do you have installed? Does this issue happen without any non-Xojo plugins? And can the issue be replicated in a way that Xojo can investigate?

As we all know reproducible issues are worth their weight in gold. Create a feedback case & attach your project.

It definitely makes a difference having more or less plugins loaded.
I normally try to limit the usage of third party plugins, but there are situations you just can’t.

Yeah it was happening before 2018r3.

That’ll be the problem, File>Open fails as well as Insert>… and some more menus. So if you’re running no plugins then that rules out plugins.

I don’t think its project related as it happens in such a wide variety of projects for me, it feels more actions over time related, but who knows.

I’d be interested in a 32bit build to see if its happening with that. Feedback search is offline again so I can’t look back to see if there are any reports of it before 2017r3 and my brain loses accuracy over time on things like this.

Happened again.

Me too.

I’m getting the feeling that I’m not experiencing most of the speed/function issues the way you & @Joost Rongen are is due to the way I use the IDE. @Joost Rongen mentioned in https://forum.xojo.com/50885-typing-speed-weird-discovery/p1#p412502 using bookmarks could be an issue - I don’t use bookmarks and possibly more important I close that bottom pane (Search/Errors/Messages) to conserve desktop real-estate.

Have a great weekend people!

Neither does my friend and PRO-developer, he’s also not facing these issues.
But why do we have these nice and very useful features since it seems we cannot use them in big projects ?

Happened again.

I added this to the ticket:

This time I had DebugView running and I got the following information.

When a working menu is pressed I see the following in DebugView:

Command “Library” handled by First Responder handled command

However when I click a menu that isnt working like Insert>Module or Windows>Next Tab I don’t see that message.

Happened again.

Happened again. >:(

Happened again.

I seem to have the problem that Cmd-R doesn’t work anymore when I’m working in the debugger. macOS 10.13, Xojo 2018r3.

Have you checked the shortcut still exists in the shortcut editor in Edit>Options>General>Edit button?