Really Nice Controls for Xojo Web

The Really Nice Controls (RNC) project consists of fourteen high quality, highly optimized controls for your Xojo Web projects. The controls are $100/year per-developer in encrypted form and include one year of free updates. Over 20+ more controls are planned to be released in coming weeks.

You can view an online demonstration of these controls by clicking here.

Download a free demonstration project with the controls optimized for Xojo Web 2018r2 by clicking here.

The following controls are currently available:

Alert (MessageBox replacement)

Button (WebButton replacement)

Callout

Checkbox (WebCheckbox replacement)

DateInput

EditableLabel

Icon

ProgressBar (WebProgressBar replacement)

Slider (WebSlider replacement)

NumericInput

Spinner (WebProgressWheel replacement)

Switch (WebCheckbox alternative)

TextField (WebTextField replacement)

Toaster (MessageBox alternative)

Each control provides five color variations. Many include the ability to incorporate one or more icons. 451 high quality SVG icons are included in the package which can be scaled to any size. Some controls can be used in large or small modes to optimize your user interface design.

The control set is powered by a handful of external CSS and Javascript files which are delivered to your client browsers via a FREE CDN network. CDN access is free for the life of your license. All controls have been compiled down to a single Javascript library to maximize speed and efficiency of delivery to your clients browsers. These controls load extremely fast and provide easy events similar to the controls you are used too. They use a Virtual DOM technology which minimizes Javascript execution time and minimizes back and forth data with your Xojo Web server.

License keys are delivered within 24 hours of payment.

All sales during 2018 will include free updates through the end 2019!

You can purchase a license for Really Nice Controls for Xojo Web by clicking here.

Screenshots of the various controls are available by clicking here.

For support, licensing questions, control requests, or otherwise please email phillip@1701software.com.

[Copied from: http://www.dev.1701software.com/blog/introducing-really-nice-controls-for-xojo-web]

Any way to know if these will be compatible with Xojo Web 2.0?

I’ll update them if they aren’t. They follow the WebSDK conventions/documentation exactly. It would only break if the WebSDK changes dramatically in which case I need to make adjustments.

Very nice work Philip, I would definitely consider it, but there’s something that really turns me off: the dependency to the CDN.
If I understand it correctly, if for any reason the CDN (or my connection to it) goes down, my application will not work. Also, my application will most definitely never work if it’s a company intranet web app whose clients are not allowed internet access.
And even if I was to overlook that, I’d still have to renew my license every year to keep my application working.
Is this correct?

someone who hates dependencies :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Regarding CDN; a few people have inquired about it. It is really to your benefit as load times are faster and geographically targeted. That being said there is a valid use case against them.

My next minor release within the week will allow you to disable the CDN. It does involve an extra couple lines of code in your ‘App.HandleURL’ event to process the CSS/Javascript needed for the controls.

The next release will also have a dropdown control.

As for the price I need to word it better. The license is like Xojo’s in that you get free updates for a year. The product will continue to function with your license key beyond your free year of updates.

Is it possible to serve the CSS/JavaScript from our own external webserver?

Those are some really nice controls!

Besides the CDN encrypted classes are another hard no-go for me.

I am going to add this option instead of using the CDN.

I thought a lot about this.

It occurred to me that by far the most popular set of add-ons is the MBS plugins which provide no source code. I understand a legal or strong opinion against dependencies. If it is simply a preference then it does not really hold up as Xojo itself is closed source. Xojo plugin SDK changes have forced many of us to renew with MBS and similar and I do so happily to support the ecosystem.

The truth is the Xojo glue layer and the custom Javascript to make these controls workable with Xojo was a lot of work. Another vendor here with very popular controls had their work plagiarized and sold and so I want to discourage that. I also want to continue adding new controls and supporting future Xojo Web versions. Supporting both the controls and the very complex source code would be challenging.

If the source code is absolutely necessary for your project then I assume their is sufficient budget to accommodate a custom license. I am happy to sell the code on a consulting basis and make sure the customer knows how to actually produce a build (it is a several step process). I believe supporting the work and making it a viable project is the best option to support your Xojo Web projects in the future. At the end of the day it increases the value of your project enough to justify the cost or it does not.

Personally I do not find the default stock options or the upcoming bootstrap V2 to be sufficient for public consumption so I built these.

Your control look great. I am looking forward to seeing the next 20!

In my context, my applications need to be multi-lingual. Can controls such as the DateInput be customized to show for example janvier instead of january, or Di Lu Ma etc. instead of Su Mo Tu etc. That would need to be dependent on user login language (I cannot depend on keyboard language or even system language, as many people use a French user interface with a US keyboard or even an English OS. Go figure…).

[quote=409315:@Louis Desjardins]Your control look great. I am looking forward to seeing the next 20!

In my context, my applications need to be multi-lingual. Can controls such as the DateInput be customized to show for example janvier instead of january, or Di Lu Ma etc. instead of Su Mo Tu etc. That would need to be dependent on user login language (I cannot depend on keyboard language or even system language, as many people use a French user interface with a US keyboard or even an English OS. Go figure…).[/quote]

Thank you for the kind words.

Localization is not currently supported but I absolutely can add it. What I would do is allow you to override the defaults at the time you first load the control for the user.

A set of properties that can be managed within each session would be great. I currently load all user interface texts from a database, but I suppose that dynamic constants would also be a common source for the customization, if that makes any difference. I am quite certain that such customizability would be very useful elsewhere. Europe comes to mind immediately.

I like your controls a lot. It would be great to have access to events, methods, properties that are available. Or maybe I did not find them?