A Cautionary Tale

1. 2 months ago

Bill

Oct 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Longview Texas

Being 67, in general good health and fully vaccinated, I was totally caught off guard by what just happened. A couple of weeks ago I started the day with a slight cough which I thought was allergy. The next day it was a lot worse and the 3rd day I was sick and in bed. Being the curmudgeon that I am, I ignored my wife's urging to go to the doctor saying he's going to tell me to stay home, rest and stay hydrated. This was Saturday, on Monday I did go to the ER because I almost couldn't breath. My O2 saturation was 87 and heart rate was 130. X-ray and CT scan SUGGESTED pneumonia and I was put in the hospital.

In short, it was Whooping Cough. I was out of commission for over 10 days thinking I was going to cough up my lungs. It seems Whooping Cough is making a comeback with various strains that the vaccine may or may not protect you against. But in any case I highly recommend you get the Tdap vaccine for adults and covers Tetanus, diphtheria, and whooping cough. I had the vaccine but I was on the very tail end of the effective time. You don't want what I had!!!

2. scott b

Oct 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro local coffee shop

please feel better.

3. Dave S

Oct 4 San Diego, California USA

WOw... glad they caught it.... Last I'd heard of Whooping Cough was when I was a kid (I'm 62), that is until the news recently.
    I got TDAP a few months back, so I should be "good"

4. It's coming back mostly because of antivaxxers... once it has a base population to spread, it will evolve into a version that is not caught by the vaccine anymore...

Get well soon. I am recovering from pneumonia, which takes a looooong time. Hopefully you recover quicker.

5. Dana B

Oct 6 Xojo Inc Austin, Texas

That's scary, Bill. Feel better!

6. 7 weeks ago

Amy B

Oct 24 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Marietta, Georgia, USA.

Wow that is scary - I wonder what the "effective time" is these days? I am considering redoing my vaccine series :/ just don't have the money for it right now.

or Sign Up to reply!