Recommended tool for screen capture

1. 3 months ago

In a small project I am considering, I need to capture the dynamic generated graphic screen
    output from a simple XoJo-program. This need to be efficient, and preferable generate
    output in .mp4 format. Can anyone recommend a tool/program for this "grab"-step ?

(
    I intend to build a small program that can function as a dedicated "screen-cleaner"
    for my OLED-tv. It has developed some burn-in, because the later available cleaning
    firmware, running when the tv is in a longer standby mode, came too late to completely
    remove the still noticable (red) burn in, caused by TeleTxt -pages with red bands.

Although there are several apps available, e.g. on Youtube, they are rather
    a-specific, using all primary colors. I assume the process to be more efficient by
    using ONLY the complementary colors (in my case: Blue and Green and possibly mixed
    values like Yellow) for cleaning.

The graphics routine itself would be quite simple, and is not part of my question.

)

I'm using Snagit .
    One of the extra things Snagit can do is grab text from the screen capture.
    Not cheap but I find it worth the money.
    For Windows and Mac.

2. John M

Sep 23 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New York / New Jersey

ScreenFlow

3. Christoph D

Sep 23 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 3 months ago

A new feature in macOS 10.14 is able to create screenshots (shift+cmd+4) and screencasts (shift+cmd+5). Both with editing, adding text, annotations, ... pretty cool and is the only screencast that can capture 120FPS.

I previously used Screenflow, but the new macOS feature beats it. This really renders a lot of screencast apps out of business.

4. Thanks John and Cristoph.

I'll give Screenflow a try; it seems possible to have a limited period trial.

Unfortunately I don't own an (i)Mac anymore, so that macOS feature is not available in my case
    as I only use Windows 10 and, not so often, Linux (it's drive partition is almost full ...).
    I should have mentioned that to you before.

J T

5. Robert B

Sep 23 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro University of Connecticut

Windows 10 has many screen capture options. The one I use (windows key + H) captures the whole screen, but you may prefer the snipping tool which is the first option mentioned in the how-to below:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/7-ways-to-take-screenshots-in-windows-10/

6. Oliver O

Sep 23 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro https://udemy.seminar.pro

Camtasia

7. Thanks, mr. Birge

I looked at the options, but it seems only static screenshots are possible in this way.

As the program-generated output is dynamic, this would not do.

In fact, the output would be quite long (some hours !), but with a video editor like the AVS
    one, one could easily copy similar smaller parts to create the needed length.

8. Oliver,

I'll have a look at Camtasia too,

Could be interesting, because I probably would use this software only once,
    so cost aspects are relevant in this case.

9. Oliver O

Sep 23 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro https://udemy.seminar.pro

@J HTimmerman Oliver,

I'll have a look at Camtasia too,

Could be interesting, because I probably would use this software only once,
    so cost aspects are relevant in this case.

Camtasia is great, as it is an advanced screen capturing tool and a video editor with many options plus it is available on Windows and Mac with the same project format. I’m using it for more than 15 years now and I still am very happy with it.

However, if you use it only once, then it might be overpriced.

10. Eugene D

Sep 23 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

I recommend Icecream screen recorder for recording the screen dynamically at Icecream Screen Recorder .

There are other screen recorders for Windows, and they miss some of the Xojo Controls as they are not native to Windows. Literally, some of the controls do no appear in the recording. IceCream Screen Recorder is free and captures the native and custom controls from Xojo on Windows.

Icecream Screen Recorder is free. :)

11. Paul B

Sep 23 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, Somerset)

+1 for Ice Cream Screen Recorder, superb, done plenty of demo videos with it.

12. Paul S

Sep 23 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Answer Europe (Netherlands, Den Haag)

I'm using Snagit .
    One of the extra things Snagit can do is grab text from the screen capture.
    Not cheap but I find it worth the money.
    For Windows and Mac.

13. Thanks (again) Oliver, Eugene and both Paul's.

A lot of good choices, it seams.

Also good to hear that there is a free version; excellent for experimenting.

14. Andrew L

Sep 23 San Francisco, CA, USA

VLC can record the screen to an MP4 (or other video format).

e.g. https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Record-Your-Screen-With-VLC-Media-Player/

15. Eduardo G

Sep 24 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Madrid, Spain)

@Christoph Dnbsp;Vocht A new feature in macOS 10.14 is able to create screenshots (shift+cmd+4) and screencasts (shift+cmd+5). Both with editing, adding text, annotations, ... pretty cool and is the only screencast that can capture 120FPS.

I previously used Screenflow, but the new macOS feature beats it. This really renders a lot of screencast apps out of business.

Perhaps it's worth clarifying that it's been possible to record video of the screen in MP4 format for many years in MacOS. What's changed is that now there's a screenshot for it and a few more options.

Prior to Mojave it was possible to record a screen or screen section from Quicktime Player creating a new screen recording.

Not sure about FPS but my understanding is that the current screen recording does the same thing but is easier to reach and has a few more options (which are welcome, of course).

16. 6 weeks ago

Thanks to all contributors!

I use Snagit at this moment; also very usable for other screen-capturing tasks as well.
    Simple and intuitive interface.

One remark though: as my pc-screen is high-res (3840*2160) the generated output from the
    capturing process will be quite large.
    This is not a problem at all on the pc itself, even with the files placed on removable USB -media.

The TV's USB-connection might be rather slow however, as in my case: then the high-res screen
    output becomes very jumpy: it pauses (for a second or so) after every 2 seconds of playing. Not a
    real problem for cleaning burn-in artefacts, but in general a point to consider.

In my case it worked however using the USB-input of my Panasonic hard-drive recorder, which
    then plays the same recorded files without "hickups" and converts to a HDMI -signal for the TV.

I found Snagit very usable; In my exploration of the program I even, accidently, captured a Snagit
    capturing session itself, without any problems ...

17. 3 weeks ago

A small addition to my last post:

If you don't have access to a fast USB-connection, you can instead capture the screen of smaller
    dimension (but preferably with the correct aspect ratio, 3840*2160 in my case).

This will reduce the output, with the square of the scaling factor and thus, later, the rate of data
    transfer through the USB input.

Most tv's are able to automatically scaling up to full screen size.

18. last week

or Sign Up to reply!