Standalone WebApp on ServerWarp

I have a Linux Xojo WebApp I want to run on my ServerWarp account. I can SFTP the files up, but how do I launch it and ensure it keeps running (you don’t get a GUI, but I do have root access).

It mentions that I can do this in the ServerWarp help, but gives no details.

According to my experience with SW you have to go as CGI, which should not be a big deal.

Mmmm… I thought that a standalone WebApp was possible, rather than just CGI. I’ll open a ticket in case there’s a way, then report back.

They do mention somewhere in the serverwarp docs/blog I have read that ‘standalone’ is the preferred option, but I have always used .cgi, as like you not sure how to set it up. Standalone would be useful as you can capture the ip address of a visitor with standalone, and not with .cgi as far as I am aware, .cgi always returning 127.0.0.1.

Share the asnwer when you get it.

That should not be the case.

Thanks Greg, but I only get 127.0.0.1 as a visitor .ip on my own server, if I use a standalone, it captures the visitor ip, so I just gave up. I will try some more experimentation during the week to confirm.

In some servers that use proxy/reverse-proxy, you need to use HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR to get the visitor’s IP.

Hi David,

Open a ticket, I have a standalone app running at ServerWarp. Once your app is ready they will create a container for this app and start it for you. The app is automatically restarted.

Thank you @Olivier Colard for the confirmation — I created a new ServerWarp ticket a few days ago, but have not yet had any reply.

And I wonder why @Phillip Zedalis did not respond to this thread already. Probably very busy.

I have a few clients using ServerWarp and my customers always complain than Philip usually responds only after several attempts and he gives excuse by saying the mail went to junk folder etc…

What i feel its a one man show and you can expect only this

Sorry all for not replying sooner. Our home is in Florence, South Carolina and my family lives in this area (some closer to the beach). We had many preparations for the hurricane up to and including my mother and other families evacuating. My wife and I stayed but were left with intermittent power/internet, flooding streets, and no A/C in our home/office. Suffice to say I’ve had my hands full before/after the storm and life is just now getting back to normal.

What version of Xojo Web are you using? There was an issue for a time where the X-Forwarded headers were not being properly read. You can use the Session.Header method to find the originating address.

Sorry David - we are following up with you.

Ultimately what happens is we configure a domain/subdomain to point to your standalone app. In some cases if you have a high enough server plan we load balance it with several instances of your application. We have a desktop app that allows you to start/stop your app, view logs, etc.

We are working on v4 of our panel that will allow you to set standalone apps up yourself. We are also working on a mobile app to let you manage server/apps on the go.

[quote=406368:@Sunil Abraham]I have a few clients using ServerWarp and my customers always complain than Philip usually responds only after several attempts and he gives excuse by saying the mail went to junk folder etc…

What i feel its a one man show and you can expect only this[/quote]

Luckily we are not a one man show anymore. ServerWarp continues to grow and we are investing lots of time and money into it.

The truth is however we have not always been ideal for everyone. We have made mistakes, grown too fast, overextended and underdelivered. Once or twice the customer was not an ideal fit for us at that time. For example those who need a lot of help building their app or unfamiliar with an FTP client. In those cases Xojo Cloud is superior. For others who are more server savvy but don’t want to learn/manage Linux we seem to be a sweet spot. Also, how many other hosts can answer questions about Xojo? :slight_smile:

I feel fortunate though because I have always done right by the customer (refund, free service, etc.) and made my best effort to be a valuable resource and it has paid off. We strive to improve as we learn and hone in what developers and business owners want/need from a server. The best part is I really love working on it, building automation tools, finding new and clever ways to deploy Linux - helping many of you has been very enjoyable for me.

[quote=406368:@Sunil Abraham]I have a few clients using ServerWarp and my customers always complain than Philip usually responds only after several attempts and he gives excuse by saying the mail went to junk folder etc…

What i feel its a one man show and you can expect only this[/quote]

I wanted to add we def had some email problems as I changed ticketing systems a couple times. Also I have found that Europeans make a significant portion of our customers. The time different negatively impacts support resolutions so I am thinking of hiring some help in Europe to assist.

Good luck Phillip!

I am using 2018r2, I’ll revisit the issue but it’s not a major issue for me at the moment.

Hey Phillip,

Did my ticket / request get lost?

Thanks

Tim

It can take weeks to get a reply. I suggest you add to your ticket to send it again. I still have the same question on the Help Ticket system unreplied to from a couple of months ago.