Standalone WebApp on ServerWarp

1. ‹ Older
  2. last year

Sunil A

19 Sep 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kuwait

I have a few clients using ServerWarp and my customers always complain than Philip usually responds only after several attempts and he gives excuse by saying the mail went to junk folder etc..

What i feel its a one man show and you can expect only this

3. Phillip Z

19 Sep 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Florence, SC

Sorry all for not replying sooner. Our home is in Florence, South Carolina and my family lives in this area (some closer to the beach). We had many preparations for the hurricane up to and including my mother and other families evacuating. My wife and I stayed but were left with intermittent power/internet, flooding streets, and no A/C in our home/office. Suffice to say I've had my hands full before/after the storm and life is just now getting back to normal.

4. Phillip Z

@Paul B Thanks Greg, but I only get 127.0.0.1 as a visitor .ip on my own server, if I use a standalone, it captures the visitor ip, so I just gave up. I will try some more experimentation during the week to confirm.

What version of Xojo Web are you using? There was an issue for a time where the X-Forwarded headers were not being properly read. You can use the Session.Header method to find the originating address.

5. Phillip Z

@David C Thank you @Olivier C for the confirmation — I created a new ServerWarp ticket a few days ago, but have not yet had any reply.

Sorry David - we are following up with you.

Ultimately what happens is we configure a domain/subdomain to point to your standalone app. In some cases if you have a high enough server plan we load balance it with several instances of your application. We have a desktop app that allows you to start/stop your app, view logs, etc.

We are working on v4 of our panel that will allow you to set standalone apps up yourself. We are also working on a mobile app to let you manage server/apps on the go.

6. Phillip Z

@Sunil A I have a few clients using ServerWarp and my customers always complain than Philip usually responds only after several attempts and he gives excuse by saying the mail went to junk folder etc..

Luckily we are not a one man show anymore. ServerWarp continues to grow and we are investing lots of time and money into it.

The truth is however we have not always been ideal for everyone. We have made mistakes, grown too fast, overextended and underdelivered. Once or twice the customer was not an ideal fit for us at that time. For example those who need a lot of help building their app or unfamiliar with an FTP client. In those cases Xojo Cloud is superior. For others who are more server savvy but don't want to learn/manage Linux we seem to be a sweet spot. Also, how many other hosts can answer questions about Xojo? :)

I feel fortunate though because I have always done right by the customer (refund, free service, etc.) and made my best effort to be a valuable resource and it has paid off. We strive to improve as we learn and hone in what developers and business owners want/need from a server. The best part is I really love working on it, building automation tools, finding new and clever ways to deploy Linux - helping many of you has been very enjoyable for me.

7. Phillip Z

@Sunil A I have a few clients using ServerWarp and my customers always complain than Philip usually responds only after several attempts and he gives excuse by saying the mail went to junk folder etc..

I wanted to add we def had some email problems as I changed ticketing systems a couple times. Also I have found that Europeans make a significant portion of our customers. The time different negatively impacts support resolutions so I am thinking of hiring some help in Europe to assist.

8. olivier v

19 Sep 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France)
    Edited last year

Good luck Phillip!

9. Paul B

19 Sep 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, Somerset)

@Phillip Z What version of Xojo Web are you using? There was an issue for a time where the X-Forwarded headers were not being properly read. You can use the Session.Header method to find the originating address.

I am using 2018r2, I'll revisit the issue but it's not a major issue for me at the moment.

10. Timothy J

9 Nov 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Hey Phillip,

Did my ticket / request get lost?

Thanks

Tim

11. David C

9 Nov 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Derby, ITM

It can take weeks to get a reply. I suggest you add to your ticket to send it again. I still have the same question on the Help Ticket system unreplied to from a couple of months ago.

12. Phillip Z

9 Nov 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Florence, SC

@Tim K Hey Phillip,

Did my ticket / request get lost?

Thanks

Tim

Hey Tim,

No I am sorry just had a rough week. We’ve actually been growing quite a bit and in process of releasing a new panel. It will allow you to set up standalones on your own. I’ll follow up via email.

13. Phillip Z

9 Nov 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Florence, SC

@David C It can take weeks to get a reply. I suggest you add to your ticket to send it again. I still have the same question on the Help Ticket system unreplied to from a couple of months ago.

Hey David,

I see that ticket - we had an issue with not all emails being processed properly. Ultimately it was a combination of factors but Office 365 (serverwarp.com mail provider) was blocking emails. We got that worked out but some tickets fell off the radar because of it.

I am also training up a new support person as business has picked up. It’s been a challenge. Despite common opinion Xojo Web seems fairly healthy cases on our subscriber volume.

14. David C

9 Nov 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Derby, ITM

Cool. I am very looking forward to setting up the standalone apps, so I will be happy to test this when it's available.

15. 11 months ago

Thomas H

12 Jan 2019 Stuttgart, Germany

Hello to all,
    searched on the forum for Serverwarp and came here... maybe it is not the right channel, but as it concerns also Serverwarp, I'll try it here.
    I am hosting (CGI at the moment) on Serverwarp now also. Server runs fine, also the demo provided (Eddies electronics on SQLite).
    I am able to SFTP to server, but could not find the MySQL server (settings).
    MySQL runs as a "docker", and maybe someone who has experience with Serverwarp can help me on how to connect to the MySQL server with the account settings I have received.
    Opened a ticket already but maybe Phillip is very busy (which I understand...).
    So I'd appreciate any advice or help for me as a Xojo "newbie".
    Running my web app on a local LAMP is doing fine with local MySQL...
    Thanks
    Thomas

16. Paul B

12 Jan 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, Somerset)

I use Navicat to connect directly to my Serverwarp mySQL database using the account details provided with no issue. There is no tool provided by Serverwarp. There are cheaper options than Navicat.

17. Thomas H

12 Jan 2019 Stuttgart, Germany

Hello Budd,
    thanks... that's what I thought also... I use HeidiSQL, because its free and easy...
    Now I played around a bit more (after your message)... and now it works! So easy!
    Before I tried to use my username provided (did not work), but with user "root" all is fine...
    So thanks for pushing me to the right direction :-)
    Really easy!
    Have a nice day!
    Thomas

P.S. This forum is really great!

18. 7 months ago

Ralph A

15 May 2019 Santa Monica, California

@Olivier C Hi David,

Open a ticket, I have a standalone app running at ServerWarp. Once your app is ready they will create a container for this app and start it for you. The app is automatically restarted.

I'm curious about this.

1. Are you saying that a Standalone app on ServerWarp will automatically restart when it dies?

2. Will it automatically restart when it becomes unresponsive?

3. Is there a way for you to kill and restart it manually from your mobile phone, if the need arises, without restarting the server?

4. Do you or your clients ever see Internal Server Error 500s with such a Standalone app?

19. Thomas H

15 May 2019 Stuttgart, Germany

@Ralph A :
    - I also use a CGI on ServerWarp, so your questions are interesting for me, too...

to 1: from my experience, no - it does not restart automatically (I'd be interested on how to do that, too)
    to 2: from my experience, no.
    to 3: from my experience, no - only with server restart or directly if I kill/rename the app via ftp (and the app runs with a timer)
    to 4: yes, if the app died ( Ihad this during test phase)

Hopefully my answers help a little forward...
    Thomas

20. Ralph A

15 May 2019 Santa Monica, California

@Thomas H @Ralph A :
    - I also use a CGI on ServerWarp, so your questions are interesting for me, too...

to 1: from my experience, no - it does not restart automatically (I'd be interested on how to do that, too)
    to 2: from my experience, no.
    to 3: from my experience, no - only with server restart or directly if I kill/rename the app via ftp (and the app runs with a timer)
    to 4: yes, if the app died ( Ihad this during test phase)

Hopefully my answers help a little forward...
    Thomas

Thanks, Thomas. I'm surprised to hear you've seen Internal Server Error 500s with a Standalone. Such errors seen in a CGI environment, albeit intermittent, are the main reason I'm investigating Standalones.

That said, in response to your answers above, you might want to look at

https://forum.xojo.com/53762-standalone-vs-cgi-some-questions

There's a discussion there that talks about what some are doing to address some of the issues I outlined above. I just was wondering if ServerWarp sets up your Standalone container to include solutions like those discussed in that forum thread.

21. 6 months ago

David C

3 Jun 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Derby, ITM

@Phillip Z any news on when the Xojo standalone WebApp Docker installer will be available — at XDC you said it would definitely be before June 2019.

or Sign Up to reply!