Simulated Electronic Health Record (EHR)

Hi,
I need to develop a simulated EHR program for a simulation center.

It will not be anything close to any real EHR - just simple patient chart with patient notes, lab work results, imaging studies, EKGs, etc.

The purpose of this app is to provide patient info to the students to teach them bedside rounding.

I would like to do it as a web app.

Going through the manuals and tutorials, I cannot figure out what it takes to deploy an app to the server.

When I talk to our IT people they might not be aware how XOJO works with servers.

If I chose to deploy it on the XOJO Cloud - how simple or how difficult is it?

I would appreciate any guidance with this regard.

Thank you,

Val

I like how you define “simple”[quote=403517:@VALERIY KOZMENKO]with patient notes, lab work results, imaging studies, EKGs[/quote]

be aware, the while this is a simulation, if you are planning on making a REAL application in the future, and it happens to utilize US hospital or healtcare providers, you have a ton of data security issues you must comply with… Outside of the US, I’m sure the rules are different, but I’d bet there are rules none the less.

Xojo cloud is EASY. Just setup the account and click run and it just goes there and works it’s really very good :slight_smile:

The next simplest is a stand alone, they would have to be able to reach the server running it on whatever port you choose but no other server configuration or messing with the web servers there is needed. It won’t handle hundreds of hits a second, but for a classroom of training people it should be fine.

Lastly actually installing it on your own servers as a CGI requires that you have access to the proper directories and that CGI applications are turned on for the server and all that. Thats a bit more work and I’ve had to fight some weird defaults on mac or windows but it does ultimately work. If you don’t have any experience with editing or verifying apache config files or if you’re running on windows I would recommend one of the first 2 solutions unless you really need to do it this way. I can’t help too much with the windows config but I have gotten it running on both MacOS and Linux.

Hi, Dave,

Thank you for the reply. I live in the US. The app is not going to be used in real patient setting so HIPPA rules do not apply here. This is just a training module for medical and other professions students.

Hi, James,

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure what you mean by standalone. Do I need to develop it as a web application or as a desktop application?

I am using a Mac for developing.

Thank you both, Dave and James,

Val

I believe James was referring to the two types of web applications which can either be standalone, single executable. This approach is certainly ideal on Windows servers in my experience as its quite easy to get the software to run as a service. Single executables will also run on Linux and Mac. In addition, you can also create a web app as a .cgi, which I find suits other circumstances to deploy on Apache based web servers better. There is plenty of info in the forums, and the XOJO help files on the this.

yes, exactly what Paul said, sorry I didn’t expand on that further. The web edition builds 2 different kinds of web apps. It can build what is basically a non-gui app with the server built in or a regular CGI script that can be called by a regular web server like apache. The stand alone one is very simple to setup and run because it’s just a problem. No extra configuration or server management needed, but it’s not a high powered web server so if you need to server hundreds or thousands of sessions then it may not keep up. The CGI app is more of a pain to get installed but can be launched in the background by apache and therefore potentially handle a lot more traffic.

Hi, Dave, Paul, and James,

I have created a template for the MD part of the EHR web app. I have placed it into a shared folder on my DropBox for your critique.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzecw2ztkel5fga/EHR%20PROJECT.zip?dl=0

I will need to find out how to make WebContainers with pictures scrollable.

Thank you for your help. I feel like I am moving into the right direction.

Val

[quote=403990:@VALERIY KOZMENKO]I will need to find out how to make WebContainers with pictures scrollable.

[/quote]

i THINK that webContainers are scrollable by default. There is a show scrollbars property but I always have to set that to never if I want controls too close to the edge of it and not show a scrollbar. I believe all you have to do is to make the container smaller than it’s contents and it should show a scrollbar. Probably not in the IDE, but when actually running a web page.

Thank you, James,

I just found out how to make WebContainers scrollable. I can put a lot of x-rays, lab work results etc into one container.

What do you think about the entire design?

Thank you,

Val

I just updated the project. Here is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dquqy36j0658zme/EHR%20project.zip?dl=0

http://developer.xojo.com/webinar-web-services
might be helpful