Why does compilation keep failing!

I get the error:

Compilation of app failed.

A file system error occurred (#104) for “filename.html”. If the application already exists please
make sure it isn’t currently running; otherwise, please make sure the destination directory is writable.

It always shows on of the many html files I have in this app. The compiled debug.app is in the same directory as the project.

I had this once before and I had to create a new project and copy everything into it one at a time. I don’t want to do this again.

What could be causing this???

Thanks for any help!

Maybe a previous build/debug left some files on your system?

If you can save your project with other name/other directory and then you can build, then I think that’s the problem (some older build/debug file).

I should not have to do that, there is something wrong?

[quote=400692:@Richard Albrecht]I get the error:

Compilation of app failed.

A file system error occurred (#104) for “filename.html”. If the application already exists please
make sure it isn’t currently running; otherwise, please make sure the destination directory is writable.

It always shows on of the many html files I have in this app. The compiled debug.app is in the same directory as the project.

I had this once before and I had to create a new project and copy everything into it one at a time. I don’t want to do this again.

What could be causing this???

Thanks for any help![/quote]

What version of Xojo are you using?
Where is the project located? Is it on Dropbox or a local drive?
Also, what version of macOS?

2018 R2
Yes its in Dropbox
10.13.6 OSX

Forgot to mention, this is an iOS project.

I bet Dropbox is the problem - we see all kinds of problems with running and building projects that reside on Dropbox. Does it work if you copy it locally?

I’ll let you know.

When I get repeating compilation errors, I always delete what’s in

~/Library/Caches/Xojo

and delete the debug folder in the project folder and then try again.

Also, when I was compiling a project that lived in Dropbox, having it in Dropbox was never a problem.

I read that Dropbox is not recommended to work with as a build/debug folder:
https://forum.xojo.com/39397-leftover-debug-folders-files/0

Tim said: do not work out of the Dropbox folder. Copy your changes in when you are done with Xojo

@Ralph Alvy

Tried clearing the Cache, same problem. There is no debug folder that I can see, this is an iOS project.

Did you close Xojo before clearing the cache?

Let me try again, I closed after I cleared IT.

Same problem.

Does it work if you store the project on your local drive?

Problem solved!

First the dropbox is a local drive.

I copied it outside of DB, it compiled and ran.

Then went back to the original, paused dropbox syncing and it compiles and ran first time.

Then turned on syncing and it ran the 1st time, but then gave the same error!

My guess is that while Xojo try to remove the debug files dropbox is trying to sync the files, blocking Xojo from cleaning the build/debug directory completely.

What you can do is turn syncing off, work with Xojo, and turn syncing on after you finish.

That’s what I’m doing!

Thanks all.

I think it’s an issue with APFS on High Sierra not completely erasing the app (in my case it’s usually a .icns file that doesn’t want to die).

I ended up writing an app that looks at the compiled debug app file. If it’s older than 30 seconds and less than a particular size I assume it needs to be disposed of and I move it to the trash folder.

[quote=400725:@Richard Albrecht]Problem solved!

First the dropbox is a local drive.

I copied it outside of DB, it compiled and ran.

Then went back to the original, paused dropbox syncing and it compiles and ran first time.

Then turned on syncing and it ran the 1st time, but then gave the same error![/quote]
I never would have thought this could be a Dropbox problem because Dropbox doesn’t sync until the file is saved by the governing app. In any event, because of talk about this so frequently on this forum, a few months ago I moved all my projects to a local drive and rely on SourceTree to sync each project with BitBucket. I use Mercurial as my version control software.