Display differences

I’m building my first Xojo app and have opened the Eddie’s electronics example. When I expand the database icon I’m seeing a number of methods. However when I expand the icon in my app, the tables in my database are displayed. I was expecting to see the tables in the Eddie’s electronics displayed. I’m using v18r1.1 on Windows 10. Can someone explain the difference.

I guess you are talking about this:

If you look close the icons are different. Eddie’s electronics is using a controller (first image), the second image show a SQLiteDatabase added to the project with the Insert - Database - New SQLite Database option.

Now that you mention it, I can see the icon differences, but if both databases have existing tables, why am I seeing the tables in mine and not in the EE example?

Because in Eddie’s is not a database reference is a controller.

Edit: sorry if I’m not using the correct terms, English is not my first language and I’m not a professional programmer.

Eddie’s Electronics does not have a SQLite database added to the app like you have in your project.

For more flexibility, the OrdersDatabase in Eddie’s Electronics is a subclass of the SQLiteDatabase class. It connects to the database file at run-time. On the OrdersDatabase subclass are a variety of methods used to retrieve data from the database.

More about connecting to SQLite databases is here:
http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/sqlite$connecting-to-a-database

And here’s a video as well:
http://developer.xojo.com/webinar-connecting-to-db

When I do a mouseover on the EE Orders Database it indicates the superclass is a SQLite database and when I look under controllers I cannot find that icon?

I presume you mean when you look in the Library you don’t see a SQLite database icon? That is true, as it is not a UI control.

In this case you can add it to the project by adding a new class (using Insert) and then setting its Super property to SQLiteDatabase.

OK, I’ve added new class but under Super Properties, SQLiteDatabase is not listed.
SQLite.Blob
SQLite.Connection
SQLite.ConnectionParameterSet
SQLite.DatabaseField
SQLite.PreparedStatement
SQLite.Recordset
SQLiteBlob
SQLitePreparedStatement
SQLite.Recordset

I get this:

Paul,
I had seen the ‘Connecting to a database’ earlier, so I’ll try that. The EE example appears like the app I’m developing except I have about 50 tables in my db.

Thanks all!