WIndows not good on 2018r1.1

I have come to the conclusion, like others, that Xojo 2018r1.1 is unacceptable to use with Windows. It’s not the slower drawing speeds that bother me. It’s everything else.

When my app starts up, it attempts to read settings from a database file. If that file is non-existent or empty, it opens up the main window of the app in a somewhat shrunken form, prompts the user that there’s no valid settings and opens a window where the user can then start setting up the program.

In 2017R3, this all works just fine. In 2018R1.1, the app crashes. In Windows 7, I see a “This program has stopped working” error. In Windows 10, it just quits. It must not always as not every customer complains, but I wonder how many try the app and see it doesn’t work and move on. I wasn’t aware of this until one regular customer did complain and asked for help. Now, I’m embarrassed at crap I’ve put out because of Xojo’s failings.

And it is a Xojo problem because I can remote debug onto a Windows machine. At one point, Xojo breaks for an exception. But this exception is in the event loop. It shows it as dimmed out in the debugger. But obviously, I can’t see any code. So Xojo throws some sort of exception in 2018r1.1 that it did not in 2017r3.

This is getting annoying…

64bit exe?

Yes.

Try 32bit, I suspect the problem will magically go away :slight_smile:

I think you may be correct.

Maybe the Xojo logo should be an Ostrich with its head in the sand?

Actually, it doesn’t. There’s still an exception happening in the event loop (the debugger acts like it’s hit a break point but the stack shows the event loop and I see no code). However, in 32 bit, I can resume and things work fine (well, sorta - see my other thread). In 64 bit it crashes completely.

And the thing is, these sorts of issues seem so obscure that I am not sure I could duplicate it in a simple project…

And just a confirmation again - Things work great in 2017R3

Python

How dare you release a not tested software ? :wink:

Shame.

Can’t submit the whole project as Xojo only?

OK people - just to be clear. I am NOT swearing here. The forum software is being overly aggressive policing swear words. The sentence is the contraction of:

or

I had to put two spaces between it’s and hit in order for the swear word algorithm to not flag it.

[quote=398231:@]Shame.

Can’t submit the whole project as Xojo only?[/quote]

Yeah, I’m thinking about doing that. I think I see what is happening though and I may be able to come up with an example project doing the same thing behind the scenes.

Not entirely sure what you mean. When a routine works for the last seven years, you don’t test it every new release of Xojo…

Actually you should (and not just because its Xojo)… any time a project is recompiled using a new version of the compiler (or any of its component parts), you should always retro-test every aspect of the application. This issue proves the case in point.

Maybe you have time to check every single function and aspect of an app. I do not.

It would be nice if I could do that but it’s just not practical.

[quote=398315:@Jon Ogden]Maybe you have time to check every single function and aspect of an app. I do not.

It would be nice if I could do that but it’s just not practical.[/quote]
Never said it was easy, but considering the cost of releasing an app with retro issues as you are describing… which is cheaper?
Where I used to work, we had an entire department dedicated to retro-testing prior to each release, and that was even if the compiler situation didn’t change, since so much of the code had shared methods… Again, not saying its easy, or quick… or free, just saying its necessary

Like you said - an entire department. I’m one guy.

my point is… which is “cheaper”… release and hope it works, or test it and know it does.
how you do that (or not) is up to you.

And MOST of us here are “just one guy” (or gal)

Just accept that Xojo is not [quote=398152:@Jon Ogden]I have come to the conclusion, like others, that Xojo 2018r1.1 is unacceptable to use with Windows. It’s not the slower drawing speeds that bother me. It’s everything else. [/quote]

True

Just accept that Xojo is not [quote=398152:@Jon Ogden]Now, I’m embarrassed at crap I’ve put out because of Xojo’s failings. And it is a Xojo problem[/quote]

Just accept that xojo is not consistent and can break your code from one edition to another. Just keep using your current version until you can do a thorough test.

Then if the code has broken. Decide if you can afford the refactoring if not, just keep using an outdated version to compile.

Some times there are really not good reassons to upgrade.

Black humour (schwarz = black).

I only wanted to dedramatize a bit the situation.

Did you read Marvel comics when you were young ?

Unfortunately, now you know you have to do that before release.

Most of the time when I wrote something at my desk, it stop working when I’m back home … so I understand you.

At last, excepted if a new release squash some of your bugs, use the development version to release your application. Then and only then, you can test a new Xojo version and check if everything works as epected and if so, you can add new feature(sà, etc.