error binding port

I have two applications running on linux mint 18.3 and querying a postgresql database on ubuntu server 16.4.
When I start the first, everything works (it connects to the database on port 5432), when I try to start the second one too, I have this error: “error binding port”
has anyone already had this problem? Some help ?
I’m using Xojo 2017 R3.

thank you

Tell us you do not use the same port (value) in both applications.

If both Apps using the same Port and there’s Data incoming from this Port, how would your System know which App should receive the Data? Assuming we stick to the standard TC Protocoll. :slight_smile:

yes both on 5432, on mac osx it works
may I set multiple port on postgresql server ?

it works is a small sentence I dislike strongly. Unfortunately, I also use it, sometimes.

Read back Sascha answer: he explained (better than me) what I had in mind.

sorry Emile and Sascha,
English is not my main language, and I did not understand the solution … how can I keep active the two apps that sometimes have to do database operations?
In my case the two applications, cyclically verify new outcomes from two different couriers and if there are they have to updates the postgresql database.

[quote=398072:@Ercole Gosi]sorry Emile and Sascha,
English is not my main language, and I did not understand the solution … how can I keep active the two apps that sometimes have to do database operations?
In my case the two applications, cyclically verify new outcomes from two different couriers and if there are they have to updates the postgresql database.[/quote]

As so often, there are multiple ways to solve this.

You could run a Helper App which connects to the Server instead of the 2 Apps. Your 2 Apps would then communicate with the Helper App (via Interprocess Communication, Files, local TCP connections, …)

You could bind multiple IP’s to your Network Adapter and let each App use a different IP-Address (said simple but hard to do…)

And i am sure those are not the only possible solutions (and by far not the “best” anyway…)

:slight_smile:

Maybe you can in both Apps “just” connect to the Server, do a querry, receive the RecordSets and disconnect rightaway? So that the other App just needs to do connect attempts until the first App has finished and the Port is closed again?

[quote=398073:@Sascha S]As so often, there are multiple ways to solve this.

You could run a Helper App which connects to the Server instead of the 2 Apps. Your 2 Apps would then communicate with the Helper App (via Interprocess Communication, Files, local TCP connections, …)

You could bind multiple IP’s to your Network Adapter and let each App use a different IP-Address (said simple but hard to do…)

And i am sure those are not the only possible solutions (and by far not the “best” anyway…)

:)[/quote]
The Helper app is a good solution. In order to add in future other app.

Thanks Sascha