Auto closing the browser window when the server closes

Hi all,

I have a potential unique situation of having a stand alone xojo web app that sometimes closes down or looses communications with my iPad running the web app in Safari.

This is expected but the problem I’m having is that the user has no idea when the server has disconnected. Ie, it takes a few minutes for Safari to realise that the website isn’t there any more…

Is there a way to close the local browser window or at least alert the user that the server is no longer present?

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Cheers,
James

[quote=397071:@James Mullins]Hi all,

I have a potential unique situation of having a stand alone xojo web app that sometimes closes down or looses communications with my iPad running the web app in Safari.

This is expected but the problem I’m having is that the user has no idea when the server has disconnected. Ie, it takes a few minutes for Safari to realise that the website isn’t there any more…

Is there a way to close the local browser window or at least alert the user that the server is no longer present?

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Cheers,
James[/quote]
What you are describing is not the designed behavior. When the server goes away, the browser should notice almost immediately.

Does it do this with an empty project?

What version on Xojo are you using?

Hi Greg,

I’ll double check in the morning but this machine is off network and has an Xojo version released in the past 12 months I’m sure.

I’m running this from an iPad where I’ve saved the page as a bookmark on the home screen. I’m wondering if this has something to do with it? I’ll try with a clean project tomorrow and report back.

As it stands it can be several minutes or even tens of minutes before safari realises that the server is gone…

Of note, the iPad is still connected to a wifi network, it’s just that the stand alone xojo web server has been closed.

Cheers,
J

It could be. There are some behavior differences, but I’ve never heard of one like this.

Thanks Greg, I’ll report back in a few hours with findings. I’ve tested a basic app under OSX here at home and it certainly behaves as you describe. I’ll try to pull functionality until I find the culprit and report back.

Cheers,
James

Hi Greg,

Just confirmed the issue with both 2017 r3 and 2018 r1.1

Create a new web app, drag a button onto it. Run from debugger.

Connect via iPad and iPhone as well as the local browser (Edge).

When I close the server, Edge goes offline within a few seconds (maybe 5- 10). My iPhone goes off-line maybe 1-2 minutes later. older versions of IOS take much much longer.

I’m guessing this isn’t a Xojo thing? but it’s a pain if our users a clicking buttons, but the system has reset or gone offline.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Probably worth noting that this configuration is on a local network with static IP’s at each end. Is there a way that the web-app checks connectivity that would be broken by this configuration?

Cheers,
J

As a prerelease tester, have you tested this in 2018r2?

Not that I’m aware of.

No, but I can tomorrow. Would you expect any changes to this functionality in this build?

There’s always the possibility, but we don’t talk about the betas on a non-beta channel.

Sorry Greg, forgot about the first rule of beta club :wink:

Have a good weekend!

Hi all,

Raised as #52802, would appreciate it if someone else could verify and bump the ranking;)

It’s pretty easy to replicate.

J