Buy two platform licenses?

After buying a Pro license for several years I am now only going to buy a license for macOS and Linux.(*)
Do I understand it correctly I just need to add two Desktop ‘lite’ licenses or do I need to buy it in two times separately?
Does the ‘lite’ license have full access to the bought licenses (read: the same as Pro license)?
It is a bit confusing and spares info on the website about this.

(*) As soon Xojo Windows is usable again, I may consider upgrading again to a Pro license.

Your best bet is to email support@xojo.com directly with such questions.

I think (check by your own) that lite license do not allows BAS and XML import / Export; only binary project.

Also check for the SQLite Data Base (if included).

Roger advice above is OK.

Please note that a ‘Desktop’ and a ‘Lite’ license (for a single platform) is something quite different… See the FAQ there: What features are included in each Xojo license?

• Pro: all you (don’t) need
  • Desktop license only: no Beta access, no Console apps (Web, iOS of course not)
  • Lite: even more restricted. just 1 computer activated for builds, no Databases (except SQLite), no Version Control projects, … ()
    (
    ) the Description on the Store should be much more clear what a ‘Lite’ license is…!
    So yes… maybe ask support@xojo.com, and let them explain in more detail what their Store-website doesn’t explain good enough.

If you need/want version control I think Desktop license is good choice over 2 lite licenses.

[quote=396436:@Christoph De Vocht]After buying a Pro license for several years I am now only going to buy a license for macOS and Linux.(*)
Do I understand it correctly I just need to add two Desktop ‘lite’ licenses or do I need to buy it in two times separately?
Does the ‘lite’ license have full access to the bought licenses (read: the same as Pro license)?[/quote]

I concur with Alberto that a single Desktop license ($299 USD) is a good choice over two Lite licenses ($198 USD) because it is version control friendly, you can build for each platform from any platform, etc.

I concur with Roger and Jürg that asking support is prudent; Dana is very responsive to license questions.

But my experience is as follows.

New licenses (as opposed to renewals) have no access to a previously bought license. They are a new license, even if you install on the same machine. You could install a new license on the same or another computer as you previously licensed.

Note that a license expiration only means you can’t get upgrade/install versions released after your expiration date. You can continue to use an expired license as long as you want for versions released up to that date. (Meaning for example, that you could still build a console/web/iOS app using versions released up to the point your Pro license expired.)

If you get a Lite license, I believe you’ll only be able to build for that platform from that platform. And only using the binary project format. I’m less sure of restrictions on remote debug in a Lite license, but my guess is that you cannot remote debug to a different platform without the Desktop (or higher) license.

I started with a lite Windows license, coding on Mac and building for Windows.

Didn’t know you could do that, but I suppose that makes sense. Especially since you can actually use the IDE and debugger without any license at all.

I suggest you let Dana clear up any questions.

That said, I’m pretty sure you will be restricted to saving binary project formats. Though I believe you can still load projects you previously saved in another format. And while you can do version control commits of binary files letting you revert back to an earlier version easily, you can’t easily do source compare/merge /etc.

To me, that alone is worth the extra cost to move from two Lite to a single Desktop license. Even when a single developer and not working on a team.

YMMV.

I cannot imagine doing serious coding without Version Control software like git or mercurial. And the Lite version of Xojo does not support that because it only saves a project in binary format. In my mind, that alone is worth the higher fee.

Hmm… yes that is an issue for me. Probably will choose the Desktop license.

Xojo Inc really should make a clear comparison table about the difference license schemes.

Also look into Arbed.
http://tempel.org/arbed

It can be used for several of the things you would use a text version control system to do.