IDE Suddenly Slow

I had a strange issue arise today where 2018 R1.1 on MacOS 10.13.6 suddenly runs as slow as molasses. I’m working on a sizeable web app, but nothing too crazy and it runs fine on my iMac. At first, I thought I was overworking my machine with different resources or that Hamachi was causing the problem but after an update and reinstall of Xojo, it’s still running really slowly. Just scrolling over a layout in the IDE seems like a chore for some reason.

Has anyone had any similar issues?

The computer is a MacBook Pro Mid 2014, 2.8 GHz Quad Core, 16 GB Ram with a 1 TB SSD.

Two friends have the same problem with MacBook Pro…
Solution this
Btw Check if you have the Chrome open there is a bug that slow down the Mac…

Well I did get same issue but on Safari this time after the last update, no idea what happened on the last update but indeed the Mac goes bad. I’ll keep on testing and I’ll update as well in case I find something that helps.

[quote=395651:@Loannis Kolliageorgas]Two friends have the same problem with MacBook Pro…
Solution this
Btw Check if you have the Chrome open there is a bug that slow down the Mac…[/quote]

I have already reset the NVRAM and the SMC…no dice and I’m not using Chrome on this machine at all.

I am not using Safari, I use Firefox for my regular browser as well as general debugging.

Is this a spam or what ? I see nothing related to the issue in that article , just an advertising to the website offering their services

Yes, it’s spam.

It’s best not to quote the spammers link, just call it out (since we have no report button on the forum).

Well seeing as that person JUST now created a forum account, and that is the one and only post ever made, yeah, I’d say it was a spam troll

Well it would be great to have a spam button I guess , it will help a lot as I noticed a lot of posts like this in the forum

It’s removed.

The current Firefox versions have a major bug: do not clear the Library, it will takes forever to recover: it takes hard disk free space (for what ?), and slow down as hell the whole computer.

Once in that state, you better force quit FireFox, shutdown, Power ON and never, ever (till new, non buggy Firefox).

Also, I have troubles running Xojo while Firefox is on too.

[quote=395683:@Emile Schwarz]The current Firefox versions have a major bug: do not clear the Library, it will takes forever to recover: it takes hard disk free space (for what ?), and slow down as hell the whole computer.

Once in that state, you better force quit FireFox, shutdown, Power ON and never, ever (till new, non buggy Firefox).

Also, I have troubles running Xojo while Firefox is on too.[/quote]

I will give this a try, I have actually had a nothing but fantastic experience using Firefox since I switched back several months ago when I got tired of Chrome’s RAM-sucking ways.

Well i have no idea if it’s related or not, but i just clear pram and all the other things, restarted the mac, started XOJO and tried to Run a project and now i get that Busy Round beach ball and my whole mac is stuck for the past 15 minutes or so , so i triggered that sysdiagnose and wait for it to finish and hopefully once it cools down i can submit the report and restart my pc . Until now pc is unresponsive , no idea if it’s related or what those lovely guys from apple messed up again with the latest release but is not good at all .

Thanks Dana

I see this sometimes after the IDE’s been running for a long time (a day or more) without a restart. For me, simply restarting the IDE sorts it for another day or so. 2013 Retina Mac Book Pro and a Mac Pro Canister. Both running Mac OS 10.12.6. I usually run my browser on either my iPad or my Surface Pro II.

I am using Firefox (and I love it), but a bug is a bug…

Here’e what I’ve noticed that can cause the IDE to slow down.

1. The same object open in two tabs.
  2. The same object (shared) between two projects open in two windows.
  3. You have an unsaved project open, but hidden (minimized to the dock).
  4. It’s been running for days or weeks.
  5. The Mac needs restarting (at least once a week).
  6. You have every single plugin known to mankind, loaded.

so, after leaving the Mac over night in the morning same thing , the Mac unresponsive, I had t force restart it and to start recovering projects, no idea if the project is corrupted or not, I guess I will find out once I start to test it . So far sysdiagnose give me few hundreds of MB of data, hope those guys from apple see what is the issue and fix the mess again .

Well I can confirm that after the last update on the OS it seems that all is going crazy, I Just opened a project that i work on daily basis and I cannot even use the IDE, I click on a windows the busy wheel shows and after one min or 2 it selects the window, Any idea what they updated there that messes up XOJO in this way ? basically XOJO is now unusable, specially for big projects.

Sorry if already asked, but how many Free GB in your boot disk ?

Do you have checked: Power off after quitting all opened applications, Power ON and only run Xojo. What gives ?