IDE Suddenly Slow

1. ‹ Older
  2. last week

Aurelian N

Jul 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited last week

Well i have no idea if it’s related or not, but i just clear pram and all the other things, restarted the mac, started XOJO and tried to Run a project and now i get that Busy Round beach ball and my whole mac is stuck for the past 15 minutes or so , so i triggered that sysdiagnose and wait for it to finish and hopefully once it cools down i can submit the report and restart my pc . Until now pc is unresponsive , no idea if it’s related or what those lovely guys from apple messed up again with the latest release but is not good at all .

3. Aurelian N

@Dana B It’s removed.

Thanks Dana

4. Tim J

Jul 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Phoenix, AZ USA (desication ce...

I see this sometimes after the IDE's been running for a long time (a day or more) without a restart. For me, simply restarting the IDE sorts it for another day or so. 2013 Retina Mac Book Pro and a Mac Pro Canister. Both running Mac OS 10.12.6. I usually run my browser on either my iPad or my Surface Pro II.

5. Emile S

Jul 10 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Jonathan E using Firefox since

I am using Firefox (and I love it), but a bug is a bug…

6. Sam R

Jul 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

Here'e what I've noticed that can cause the IDE to slow down.

1. The same object open in two tabs.
    2. The same object (shared) between two projects open in two windows.
    3. You have an unsaved project open, but hidden (minimized to the dock).
    4. It's been running for days or weeks.
    5. The Mac needs restarting (at least once a week).
    6. You have every single plugin known to mankind, loaded.
  7. Aurelian N

so, after leaving the Mac over night in the morning same thing , the Mac unresponsive, I had t force restart it and to start recovering projects, no idea if the project is corrupted or not, I guess I will find out once I start to test it . So far sysdiagnose give me few hundreds of MB of data, hope those guys from apple see what is the issue and fix the mess again .

8. Aurelian N

Jul 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Well I can confirm that after the last update on the OS it seems that all is going crazy, I Just opened a project that i work on daily basis and I cannot even use the IDE, I click on a windows the busy wheel shows and after one min or 2 it selects the window, Any idea what they updated there that messes up XOJO in this way ? basically XOJO is now unusable, specially for big projects.

9. Emile S

Jul 11 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Sorry if already asked, but how many Free GB in your boot disk ?

Do you have checked: Power off after quitting all opened applications, Power ON and only run Xojo. What gives ?

10. Aurelian N

Jul 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Emile S Sorry if already asked, but how many Free GB in your boot disk ?

Do you have checked: Power off after quitting all opened applications, Power ON and only run Xojo. What gives ?

Around 140 GB free and it is exactly what I did, I restarted the Mac and open it again, start XOJO and opened the project, nothing else. This drives me nuts .

11. Emile S

Sorry.

One last question: what about Disk Utilities (the application inApplications/Utilities I think) ? If there is a bad in the hard disk catalog tree, it can detect and eventually repair it.

Sometimes, he said nothing but do something as the trouble (here) stops.

12. Beatrix W

Jul 11 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

Is this similar to Feedback Case #52624? Did you check where Xojo is meditating?

13. @Emile S The current Firefox versions have a major bug: do not clear the Library, it will takes forever to recover: it takes hard disk free space (for what ?), and slow down as hell the whole computer.

Hi Emile,
    my Firefox version is: 60.0.1 (64 bit): is this version affected by such bug?
    Thank you.

14. Tim P

Jul 11 Pre-Release Testers, XDC Speakers

I'm a little confused as to why everyone is getting so detailed about browsers. I thought it was just a known fact that the web layout editor is slow as molasses on HiDPI. It's been an issue for ever as far as I'm aware, and I deal with it by making smaller WebPages with clever locking so that they expand properly.

15. Edited last week

Check the Activity Monitor for cpu % and the login items in the preferences..
    Best CHECK solution make a new user install xojo and make a test if response better !!

16. Emile S

@Carlo R my Firefox version is: 60.0.1

I do not believe that version have the bug.

The current version is 61.0.1 (64 Bits).

I started to notice the bug when I deleted some entries in the Library pane (window).

Click then press the delete key. If you notice a slow down… bad.
    Better not delete anything in the Library and wait for a new version. It is more an annoyance than anything else when you are used to clear the Library window.

The entries in the Library window name does not appears and the size / location / date/Hour is displayed in a smallr text size: 8GB of RAM is too small for FireFox and EyeTV (current El Capitan).

17. 5 days ago

Michael D

Jul 15 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

MacBooks will do this when they are overheating. KernelProcess will show 500% or more of CPU in activity monitor as the CPU is throttled.

Is it hot there? Have you ever cleaned the dust out since you bought your 2014?

18. Emile S

Jul 15 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

You are right Michael, but not this time.

Another condition is low memory (too many running applications).

BTW: the above descriptions are when running El Capitan.

19. Emile S

Jul 15 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Emile S BTW: the above descriptions are when running El Capitan

While running on High Sierra, Firefox works fine (boot on a standard , external HD, not the internal SSD. The internal SSD may have troubles. I have to investigate.

20. 4 days ago

Sam R

Jul 15 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Michael D MacBooks will do this when they are overheating. KernelProcess will show 500% or more of CPU in activity monitor as the CPU is throttled.

I can concur with this, my little 2015 MacBook went all crappy with playing YouTube video. The whole machine slowly ground to a halt, I rebooted and it worked for a few minutes and then went slow again. Rebooted into Yosemite (as that's the OS it came with) and after a 5 minutes of watching YouTube a message popped up to say that the machine was getting too hot, I then put a stand underneath it (to increase airflow) and all's well again.

This silently slowing down Apple devices has to stop, it's not going to improve their sales in the long run, it's frustrating to their users and having a huge negative impact on their reputation.

21. Markus W

Jul 16 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

@Sam R I can concur with this, my little 2015 MacBook went all crappy with playing YouTube video.

Are you watching them as flash movies? My mothers MacBook Pro used to go bonkers on Youtube because of flash. Enforcing html5 video helped a lot.

or Sign Up to reply!