IPAddress and IPName

In AutoDiscovery1.MemberJoined, I have:

JoinUIP = System.Network.LookupIPAddress(ip) JoinUN = System.Network.LookupDNSAddress(ip)

but both returns an IP Address (the four values typical address like: 123.456.789.0 for example)

Since this appears on screen to choose the message person name to send the message, this is far from useful.

IDs ?

If you’re on a private network, LookupDNSAddress requires that you be running a local DNS server to give you a name. Otherwise it can only return what you put in.

Hi Greg,

No, I was on a public WiFi Hot Spot.

Even if its a public WiFi hot spot you’re still connecting to the private network provided by the public WiFi hot spot which probably wont have internal DNS names for its internal IPs.

You need to come up with an alternative method of resolving a username for example, the user enters a name when they start the app and this is transmitted on connection.

I run a local DNS address that resolve all local and Internet hosts and if i run the documentation example:

Dim s As String s = System.Network.LookupDNSAddress("178.73.17.204") MsgBox(s)

If i do:

s = System.Network.LookupDNSAddress("INTERNET_IP_ADDRESS_THAT_HAS_REVERSE_RESOLUTION")

Then i get the passed IP, not the hostname or reverse hostname

If i do:

s = System.Network.LookupDNSAddress("LOCAL_IP_ADDRESS_THAT_HAS_A_DNS_ENTRY_IN_DNS_SERVER")

Then i get the passed IP, not the hostname or reverse hostname

If i do:

s = System.Network.LookupDNSAddress("HOSTNAME")

Then i get the passed HOSTNAME, not the IP that that hostname resolves.

So it seems, yes there is some kind of problem as you always get the passed string.

I forgot, this is 2018r1.1 on macOS 10.13.5

Thanks all.

I will make more checkings tomorrow (probably, if I can).

The original project (.rb !) dates from 2005-10 (or 11, probably too). Unfortunately, I do not do screen shots then, and the Carbon application… cannot be run (and I do not have an older enough computer to run Carbon).

I do not recall what I get - then - in the Listbox’s list of registered users (on line users in that group), but who recalls an IP address is Joe’s Newbie IP Address (this seems logical to provide a name).

I remember that I do not have to be registered in the Hot Spot to be able to communicate.
Also, earlier today when I made my tests, I was not able to go to the Internet, but I saw the HotSpot name and connection window.

Or checking the computer user name ? I forgot how, but I remember its possible to get that (someone shared that information years ago).

Ah, the ins and outs of the brain memory ! (and this goes wronger day after day,).

New test. Mixed result:

At one location, I get the IP Address as User Name, at another, I get the machine name (DESKTOP-) on the Windows Machine.
On El Capitan: IP Address only.

I am starting to think my EC machine is broken.

BTW: since I get home, yesterday, after testings, I do not have sounds anymore on the Windows machine. Nobeep, no Speak (in my example), no TV Sound :frowning: Why Lord, why ?

[quote=395334:@Emile Schwarz]New test. Mixed result:
BTW: since I get home, yesterday, after testings, I do not have sounds anymore on the Windows machine. Nobeep, no Speak (in my example), no TV Sound :frowning: Why Lord, why ?[/quote]
Make a safe Boot and then reboot
Then check for malware (malwarbytes is good)

If you need more functions, you can try our DNS Lookup class:

http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.net/pluginpart-lookup.shtml

In my networking experience, anytime I do a DNS lookup using an IP address, it returns the Computer Name, never a User’s name. The Computer may have been named something like “JOE” or “SANDY”, to match the person’s name that is using it. There are ways to get the user’s name, but I am not aware of any using DNS to get it.

All: Thank you for your answers.

Loanis: I will try.

I removed the screen part (tablet mode), toyed a bit / find nothing / re build the two-in-one laptop, reboot and I heard the boot sound ! Incredible…

Launched the TV sofware… sound is back !

I prepared some screen shots that displays “trouble”. I can trash them now.