Mojave issues

The aim of this thread is to list out all the issues that we discover with Mojave and possible solutions.

Accessing the Dock Icon crashes the application.
Workaround: none yet.
Note: I’ve tried to report this in Feedback and after writing it all up. Reported to Xojo & Apple. <https://xojo.com/issue/52636>

Xojo listbox header is drawn wrong.
Workaround: Use a canvas and fake it.
Note: Xojo are working on fixing it. <https://xojo.com/issue/52409>

Cocoa exceptions are no longer logged to the console.
Workaround: none yet.
Note: Trying to prepare applications for Mojave are hard when things have changed, which causes a Cocoa Exception. This results in a function silently failing, with no pointers or indication why. You must manually step through code until you find the line it fails on, then do research to figure out why that line fails.

Remote debugging to a Mojave machine, doesn’t remove the debug build.
Workaround: Manually remove the build.
Note: Feedback report <https://xojo.com/issue/52637>

Edit: Updated reported status, now that I could get back into Feedback. Also Kudos for auto saving the report and offering to submit when I got back into Feedback. Added Cocoa Exceptions silently failing & Remote Debugging issues.

Apple trackpad no longer recognised by beta 2. Was OK in beta 1.
Need to use USB cordless mouse or USB mouse instead.

Not sure if others have seen this - bluetooth is working fine with the Apple Watch, not with the trackpad

[quote=394351:@Philip Cumpston]Apple trackpad no longer recognised by beta 2. Was OK in beta 1.
Need to use USB cordless mouse or USB mouse instead.

Not sure if others have seen this - bluetooth is working fine with the Apple Watch, not with the trackpad[/quote]

That’s not Xojo related and obsolete for this thread

Drawing a picture with the transparent property set into another picture causes a crash.

[code]Dim p As Picture
Dim p2 As Picture

p = New Picture(100, 100, 32)
p.Transparent = 1

p.Graphics.DrawRect(0, 0, p.Width, p.Height)

p2 = New Picture(p.Width, p.Height, 32)
p2.Graphics.DrawPicture(p, 0, 0)

break[/code]

Setting the transparent flag afterwards seems to prevent the crash

<https://xojo.com/issue/52527>

Dark mode issues:

Native controls do not have the correct behaviour when dark mode is enabled. For example the label control doesn’t change the font color.

Windows colors aren’t updated.

Toolbar colors aren’t updated.

@Sam Rowlands : you must be doing something odd ™ to the dock. Oh, that’s just 2 lines of code. Works fine with MBS so I don’t think the dock problem is an Apple problem.

[quote=394365:@Christoph De Vocht]
Dark mode issues:

Native controls do not have the correct behaviour when dark mode is enabled. For example the label control doesn’t change the font color.

Windows colors aren’t updated.

Toolbar colors aren’t updated.[/quote]

No third party app supports the new dark mode automagically. Developers need to enable it first.

It working fine with MBS means that it’s a Xojo issue and should not be reported to Apple.

@All - I would suggest holding off reporting issues to Apple unless you can recreate them in Xcode and are sure it’s an underlying Apple problem. My guess is that most issues are Xojo issues.

I’m using pure Xojo code, no declares or plugins used in this process, although I do have the declares in another project. I’ll dig them out and give it a try.

Dock icon crashing workaround.
Dug out my old code for doing this in the past and it works. I have updated the Feedback report to indicate this. Thanks to @Beatrix Willius for testing his code and forcing me to rethink about it.

[code]Dim p as new picture( 240, 240 )
Dim g as graphics = p.graphics

g.scaleX = g.width / 80
g.scaleY = g.scaleX

g.filloval 20, 20, 40, 40

#if targetMacOS then
Dim NSImage as ptr = p.copyOSHandle( picture.handleType.MacNSImage )

declare function NSClassFromString lib “Foundation” ( aClassName as CFStringRef ) as integer
declare function sharedApplication lib “AppKit” selector “sharedApplication” ( classRef as integer ) as integer
declare sub setApplicationIconImage lib “AppKit” selector “setApplicationIconImage:” ( NSApplicationInstance as integer, NSImageInstance as ptr )
setApplicationIconImage( sharedApplication( NSClassFromString( “NSApplication” ) ), NSImage )
#endif[/code]

Another bug, quite a big one for me, is that apps built with Real Studio 2012r2.1 crash on launch in 10.14b2, apparently due to an over-release of a CF object. Meaning I cannot use RS to develop on Mojave. I’m sure Xojo won’t fix this, but I still like to understand what’s changed to make this crash now. I then plan to report this as a regression bug to Apple and hope they’ll fix this.

Would be interesting to find the case.

+1

Oops! I did spread incorrect information.

Correction: Apps built with RS 2012 do NOT crash at launch.

Only some apps that I made do. Now I have to find out what they have in common.

Update Seems to be related to using MBS plugins. I’ve notified Christian.

After some analysis that Christian did, we now believe the crash at launch is not caused by MBS plugins in particular but by Xojo’s code that loads a plugin, i.e. any plugin.

We see this kind of crash:

[quote]Application Specific Information:
objc_msgSend() selector name: release

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libobjc.A.dylib 0xa6c63240 objc_msgSend + 16
1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9398635f ___CFXRegistrationPost_block_invoke + 105
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x939862b0 _CFXRegistrationPost + 428
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9398601b ___CFXNotificationPost_block_invoke + 101
4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9395210a -[_CFXNotificationRegistrar find:object:observer:enumerator:] + 1562
5 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x939513ab _CFXNotificationPost + 891
6 com.apple.Foundation 0x953cc893 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] + 71
7 com.apple.Foundation 0x953d7b8f -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:] + 37
8 com.apple.AppKit 0x9157a975 -[NSApplication finishLaunching] + 525
9 rbframework.dylib 0x00458c12 0x357000 + 1055762
10 com.apple.AppKit 0x9157a3dc -[NSApplication run] + 225
11 rbframework.dylib 0x00458c93 0x357000 + 1055891
12 rbframework.dylib 0x003db437 0x357000 + 541751
13 rbframework.dylib 0x003ac4d2 RuntimeRun + 50
14 0x0012c115 REALbasic._RuntimeRun + 34
15 0x00002979 _Main + 245
16 0x000024f0 % main + 36
17 0x001687ac _start + 116
18 0x00168702 start + 43[/quote]

It seems that the code that loads a plugin (through dlOpen) does not correctly retain some object that is then later supposed to receive a notification.

Christian also found that this crash does not always occur, suggesting it’s a race condition where the object in question might get autoreleased too early, or live long enough for the notification to get posted.

Either way, this will break a few tools I and maybe others have released in the past unless we can coerce Apple to add a special case to avoid this particular crash in Xojo-made apps.

Does the 2012 IDE crash for you under Mojave? It loads plugins exactly the same way as your apps do.

I noticed a tremendous lag in the IDE. It takes about a second to respond to mouse moves, but once you’ve hit the ‘run’ button it’s gone.

Like this here <https://xojo.com/issue/52624>? Not even reviewed. Drives me totally nuts.

This occurs immediately after startup. MacBook Pro 8 Gb 2017. Scrollbars do not respond but after clicking on other screen objects they seem to get ‘unstuck’.

Bug Reports (as opposed to Feature Requests) no longer have a “Reviewed” status. We did away with that several years ago because it’s functionally indifferent from “Needs Review”. Once it’s reviewed, it will take on one of the following statuses:

• Information required (and then back to Needs Review) – If the tester needs more information from you to reproduce the bug.
  • Closed - If the case is not reproducible or otherwise not a bug.
  • Verified – This doesn’t mean that it’s actually a bug however, just that a tester has been able to verify the behavior stated on a case. The engineering team will make the final determination whether or not something is a bug.
    Since we are in the beta cycle for this summer’s release and Mojave isn’t due out until late fall, those cases are being gathered into a common place where we can keep track of them for testing all at once on a version of Mojave that is much closer to what will be actually released is available. As I’ve said before, It’s not uncommon for the things that our users to report in the first few public betas of an upcoming macOS release to be resolved by the time we reach late summer and we’d rather not waste the cycles trying to fix those things.

A) This problem drives me nuts.

B) You never ever know if something is fixed or not.

C) Oh, and this lovely problem only affects Xojo. It so sounds like the problems that our Windows friends have.