Alternatives for Cornerstone

I’m still using Cornerstone 2.7 and had the bad idea to check if there is an update. Cornerstone 4 is now subscription-ware with 80$ per year where you need an active subscription to use the app. I don’t much mind spending the money but if an app doesn’t work anymore if your subscription period is over: no thanks.

Are there any other alternatives than Versions (doesn’t like my Captain) and SmartSVN (yucky Java app)?

I’m not interested in using Git.

Hi Beatrix,

I don’t have an alternative for SVN but if you change your mind for Git…

I stopped using SVN a long time ago and now using Bitbucket (Git) and SourceTree (Mac & Windows). Everything’s working smoothly on High Sierra (10.13).

I use sourcetree - free to use and can be used as a local repository, so private. It works well on High Sierra and there are two videos in the Xojo resources

[quote=392565:@Beatrix Willius]Cornerstone 4 is now subscription-ware.
Are there any other alternatives than Versions (doesn’t like my Captain) and SmartSVN (yucky Java app)?[/quote]
Cornerstone by Zennaware has been a very good swiss product… We’ve used it, and aren’t happy that Assembla has bought it and turned it into subscription ware…
For this reason we’ve switched from Cornerstone to Xversion.

They even deactivated my “old” License and said i used it for too many installations!

Later they apollogized because they made a mistake and reactivated the License. But i had also already switched to Versions and i am very happy with it.

Thanks, guys. I’ll either try XVersion or wait until I can update my dev machine.

Changing to Git isn’t in the immediate future.

FWIW, I use SmartSVN, even though it’s Java. It’s very complete in terms of features and allows me to have the exact same UI on Mac, Windows and Linux.

That said, I also miss the very cool “diff” and “blame” options in Cornerstone. I pretty much use Kaliedoscope for that now

Is Cornerstone also subscription if you buy it in the App Store ?

Same story here…

Maybe because I showed them the EULA (of Zennaware) we’ve agreed to, which allowed 2 installations :wink:
And by any means… a single installation for a developer product? Please… But I didn’t care to check if Cornerstone 4 really only allows 1 installation.

Versions looks very nice, too - but i miss a built-in Diff. Of course you could buy both their products, Versions along with Kaleidoscope.

That’s why we’ve chosen XVersion. It looks nice, works very well, has all feature we’ve been using with other SVN products. Even has a built-in Diff (and allowing 3rd party tools, too - if you like those better). And the developer/support is very quick. I once sent a bugreport about the internal Diff, and got a Beta to try the fix on the next day. Besides he noticed something not looking as expected on my ScreenShot, and fixed that as well.

This one I do not understand.

Suppose I have five differenct computer and I am the only one to use them. Per some eula, I do not have the right(s ?) to install some software I have one licence for on all computers.

On the other hand, if I install that software on all five computers, who will check them ?
(here enters the anti-piracy measures from the software Editor…)

Cornerstone 3 (by Zennaware) allowed: 1 developer, installation on 2 computers (or virtual machines).
Cornerstone 4 (by Assembla): I don’t know
XVersion: 1 developer, installation on all the developer’s computers (or virtual machines).

Yup. The EULA of Cornerstone will not allow this.

[quote=392589:@Emile Schwarz]Suppose I have five differenct computer and I am the only one to use them. Per some eula, I do not have the right(s ?) to install some software I have one licence for on all computers.

On the other hand, if I install that software on all five computers, who will check them ?
(here enters the anti-piracy measures from the software Editor…)[/quote]

They use an online activation System and wrote "Please note that if you need to have more than 1 device(s) access Cornerstone, you will need to add more licenses. "

I use SmartSVN too.

+1

Not only that, but version 4 will install over version 2 without checking whether the OS you have installed (I’m still on Mavericks) can run version 4. Very bad.

Xversion looks OK but is there a way to import Cornerstone v2 logs and archives into Xversion?

@Tim Streater: shouldn’t a Subversion repository be accessible by every SVN client? The only thing that Cornerstone does extra is the caching.

Humph! Perhaps I should try to feed to it the repository I have and see what happens (I know nothing about the internals of these things).

Thanks.

In Versions f.e. you just add a new Working Copy Repo and it will be the same as in Cornerstone. To “sync” it to the Server, just add your credentials.

I’ve been contacted a month ago by the Assembla guys about the “too many installations…” thing, what was not true at all. Anyway, I was using Cornerstone just in one of my computers and the free Sourcetree in the second one; and after using both probably I prefer the Sourcetree option over Cornerstone.

Exact same thing happened to me. Sounds very fishy, as if they were doing this on purpose…

Yeah, that seemed to work. I could get it to find the working copy, logs, …

I just need to update my licence so I can get a text version of the project.