A Utility to create Application Icons

based on an earlier conversation, I have created an app that will create all the icons required for

• iOS applications (both for Xojo and Xcode)
  • macOS (per Xcode requirements)
  • Apple Watch
  • Xojo (which seems to be different than “macOS”)
  • Android

It is a simple drag and drop interface. You create one LARGE (larger the better for the most part) PNG formatted icon (with or without a mask), and drop it on the app screen. It then creates the icons for which ever platform(s) were selected. Based on my prelimanry testing, the results are really good :slight_smile:

On my machine it produces all the required icons for all platforms in just a few seconds. All in their own folders, ready to be added to your Xojo, Xcode or Android project.

It produces 31 different sizes, including iTunes Artwork

If you are interested, I’m looking for $10 … right now it is only for macOS, but when I get around to putting my Windows Machine back on line I’ll test it there too.

And for anyone who does want a copy, I am more than open to suggestions for other sizes, platforms etc.

I based the design on a website I had found (which did not do “Xojo” or “macOS” sizes)

Or if you would like to see what it does with a particular icon to see the results, let me know

This program even produced its own AppIcons :slight_smile:

Suggestion :
Automatically send each rendered image to ImageOptim.

Don’t you just take 1 1024x1024 Image and throw it on the Application Icon Dialog, to automatically generate all the needed Application Icons, within Xojo?

When/Why may it be “better” to use individual Icons?

Quality / “readability” in smaller size.

Check by yourself using Xojo own Icon Editor: copy / paste the 1024 x 1024 image in all fields (smaller sizes)…

[quote=391009:@Dave S]based on an earlier conversation, I have created an app that will create all the icons required for

• iOS applications (both for Xojo and Xcode)
  • macOS (per Xcode requirements)
  • Apple Watch
  • Xojo (which seems to be different than “macOS”)
  • Android

If you are interested, I’m looking for $10 … right now it is only for macOS, but when I get around to putting my Windows Machine back on line I’ll test it there too.

This program even produced its own AppIcons :)[/quote]

Could you post some screenshots? I’m quite curious.

Hint: Just drop the Image into the Xojo Icon Editor Dialog, but NOT on one of the squares. This resulting in Xojo copying the Image into all Icon Sizes.

I’d say Xojo does a good enough job here. Never had any complain from a User regarding Icon Image Quality. And my eyes are to weak to see a dif. by mayself. (I do not wear glasses, because i am to vain) :smiley:

Drop feeds all sizes:
I knew for icns drops, doe not knew for images ! ;-

Quality / Glasses:
without glasses: I cannot do anything (write / read);
with: it is OK, but not everyday (yesterday was a bad day: I had to enlarge the screen to be able to do something; [back to Retina mode, instead of “show all pixels”]. :frowning:

Well, I wonder who is on the photo, then… :wink:

OK. Except Sunglasses, because i am vain :wink:

First off I added the “Xojo” sizes as an after thought… And I think the icons created here are better than the Xojo Editor does, but this is an available option, not a requirement :slight_smile:

[quote=391032:@Jeremie Leroy]Suggestion :
Automatically send each rendered image to ImageOptim.[/quote]
Not quite sure what you mean by this? EDIT : its an image file size reduction tool

What would you like to see… since the interface is rather “boring”… as in “Drop Icon Here”

I thought of another option, which I will add today, and that is to convert to “template” icons, for use in toolbars, tabbars and navigation bars, there are where one icon can have its color altered by the hosting app

Application now creates proper “template” icons to be used with UITabbar, UIToolbar and UINavigationbar controls, these are “different” in that they require the source icon to be converted to grayscale and used as a mask instead of an image.

Very interesting.Most of the icon editors I have played with are much more limited than this. I would be interested to test it out, and happy to pay a small fee for the privilege.

gee I thought that there would be much more interest in a utility like this… I know it has save me hours and that is just in the past few days…

Well, honestly, these apps are a dime a dozen, just look for them: https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/icon
They also tend to be priced much cheaper than yours because they’re quick and easy to make.

Making icons at the different sizes is a science and just scaling from a larger size is often not the right call.

I read a very helpful article about this years ago which used this example:

Think of designing icons as if you were designing buildings for model trains. At the O-Gauge, things can be rather detailed. Bricks are raised, windows have sashes and panes, doors have doorknobs, roofs have shingles. When you move to HO-Gauge (half the size of O) windows are depicted as a rectangle divided by two or small openings to indicate glass, but there’s no room for separate sashes. Doorknobs are gone. Roofs are usually just rough. N-Scale is roughly half the size of HO, Z-scale about ? of HO, and T-Scale ¼ of HO. The designers of models for these scales are masters at removing just the right stuff to maintain a level of realism.

Often when designing icons you need to follow an 8x8 pixel grid to avoid blurryness or you end up having to tweak the positions of significant parts to make them stand out at smaller sizes. Just scaling when you go from 1024x1024 down to 16x16, 32x32 or 48x48 just results in a blurry mess. It depends on the icon of course, but in my experience it’s important to make sure that each of the icons is tweaked to look the best it can at all sizes so that users with lower ppi screens can still tell what your icons are.

Usually yes, that is the case, but so far the algoritihm supplied by Sam, results in as near perfect results as can be expected.

But hey, I wrote it to solve a problem for myself, which it does quite nicely, and thought it would garner more interest is all, since the amount of time it would take me to manually tweek 600+ icons (200 @1,@2,@3x) would be 10x longer than it took me to write the app they are being used in…

Which is where Dave’s app would help.
If you drag a big icon into the Xojo screen, it makes smaller images, true.
But presumably the individual images Daves app generates are then available for opening and fine tuning if you are that way inclined.

I personnally use SketchApp for all my icons, and it can already export any icon in multiple sizes then run these images through ImageOptim.
I am sure some people will find your app useful :wink:

[quote=391351:@Jeff Tullin]Which is where Dave’s app would help.
If you drag a big icon into the Xojo screen, it makes smaller images, true.
But presumably the individual images Daves app generates are then available for opening and fine tuning if you are that way inclined.[/quote]
But you don’t want to be manipulating the bitmaps themselves. Usually you are working from vector source material like SVG.