MacOS Dark Mode

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 months ago

Tim J

Jun 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ
    Edited 4 months ago

@Jeremie L Well that looks really ugly
    -image-

(Is that the new Finder look? - I haven't poked into it just yet.)

I disagree (unless you were being tongue-in-cheek). If you just fix the header and footer of the ListBox to support a darkened environment, that would be right at home on my system when I'm editing.

3. Sam R

Jun 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Tim J (Is that the new Finder look? - I haven't poked into it just yet.)

Nope. It's the older Finder that's modified to be dark. The new Finder has the "Windows Explorer Image Viewer" instead of "Coverflow".

4. Tim J

Edited 4 months ago

On topic - Dark Mode is important to those who need it, However, it is optional - just like HiDPI/Retina. It's your choice to support it or not, but I suspect that NOT supporting it will definitely keep you off of the MAS.

@Dave S But the good side is, today memory is cheap.... I remember in 1973, paying (well having a client pay) $895.00 for 4k of memory, and Hard Disk space cost well over $1.00 per MB

Or ~$2,000/MB for the 1.6MW (Megaword - around 2.4MB) RK05 for a PDP-8 - around $10K+ $100/mon for maintenance. It would also walk across the room if the pack became unbalanced.

5. Thom M

Jun 11 Pre-Release Testers Greater Hartford Area, CT

@Tim J On topic - Dark Mode is important to those who need it, However, it is optional - just like HiDPI/Retina. It's your choice to support it or not, but I suspect that NOT supporting it will definitely keep you off of the MAS.

This is exactly it. As a consumer, I don’t care how you feel about dark mode, I care how I feel about dark mode. If I want it, your competitor has it, and you don’t, I’m going to your competitor.

6. Sam R

Edited 4 months ago

@Tim J On topic - Dark Mode is important to those who need it, However, it is optional - just like HiDPI/Retina. It's your choice to support it or not, but I suspect that NOT supporting it will definitely keep you off of the MAS.

I don't think it will prevent your application from being on the App Store, but Apple will certainly not consider your application for promotion if you don't (if you can get your application promoted, that's how you can make money on the App Store).

Some users might get upset, but I suspect that the majority of users won't even know where to turn on dark mode.

7. Beatrix W

Jun 11 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

Customers are being teased with articles like https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/06/hands-on-with-dark-mode-in-macos-mojave . They have heard that Dark Mode is the new "place to be". They will expect it. Doesn't matter if they use it or not.

8. Tim J

I really suspect that they will since I have a tool that I tried to push to the MAS and it was rejected because my StatusBar icon didn't support the current "Use dark menu bar and dock" setting.

9. Sam R

@Tim J I really suspect that they will since I have a tool that I tried to push to the MAS and it was rejected because my StatusBar icon didn't support the current "Use dark menu bar and dock" setting.

Hmm... I can kinda understand that; Apple have provided some documents on how to unsubscribe from Dark Mode, it it's not suitable for your application, so I do beleive that not supporting it isn't going to be a problem.

Did you get it resolved btw? If not and you need some help, let me know.

10. Tim J

@Sam R Did you get it resolved btw? If not and you need some help, let me know.

Yes - Christian has a check for it. I just needed the proper icon support.

Now I just need to get off my backside and resubmit it.

11. @Tim J

I tried to push to the MAS and it was rejected because my StatusBar icon didn't support the current "Use dark menu bar and dock" setting.

Well, last week I submitted new versions of two apps of mine that make use of StatusBar with several icons; but the reviewer did not say anything. In a few hours both the apps were "ready for sell".

BTW, the two apps are still 32bit and for the StatusBar I use of macoslib.
    As for the icons, they are just plain .png; and I apply them directly from the Resource folder of the app, something like:
    myStatusItem.image = picture.open(f)
    where f is the pictureFile in the Resources folder.

I wonder if I was just lucky.

12. Sam R

Jun 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Carlo Rubini I wonder if I was just lucky.

That you were!

13. @Thom M #if TargetMacOS
    Declare Function NSClassFromString Lib "Foundation" (ClassName As CFStringRef) As Integer
    Declare Function NSSelectorFromString Lib "Cocoa" (SelectorName As CFStringRef) As Ptr
    Declare Function RespondsToSelector Lib "Cocoa" Selector "respondsToSelector:" (Target As Integer, SelectorRef As Ptr) As Boolean
    Declare Function SharedApplication Lib "Foundation" Selector "sharedApplication" (Target As Integer) As Integer

Dim SharedApp As Integer = SharedApplication(NSClassFromString("NSApplication"))
    If RespondsToSelector(SharedApp, NSSelectorFromString("setAppearance:")) Then
    Declare Function StandardUserDefaults Lib "Foundation" Selector "standardUserDefaults" (Target As Integer) As Integer
    Declare Function StringForKey Lib "Foundation" Selector "stringForKey:" (Target As Integer, Key As CFStringRef) As CFStringRef
    Declare Sub SetAppearance Lib "Foundation" Selector "setAppearance:" (Target As Integer, AppearanceRef As Integer)

Dim Mode As String = StringForKey(StandardUserDefaults(NSClassFromString("NSUserDefaults")), "AppleInterfaceStyle")
    Dim DesiredAppearance As Integer
    If Mode = "Dark" Then
    Declare Function NSAppearanceNamed Lib "Foundation" Selector "appearanceNamed:" (Target As Integer, Name As CFStringRef) As Integer
    DesiredAppearance = NSAppearanceNamed(NSClassFromString("NSAppearance"), "NSAppearanceNameDarkAqua")
    End If
    SetAppearance(SharedApp, DesiredAppearance)
    End If
    #endif

But only Darks the window, not the controls, I tried to put on the Open Event's App.

14. And what about the Darkmode for XOJO, not for apps developed in Xojo.
    I mean that Mojave's mode its quite good thinked about us, all the coders that develop 24hours a day, and at the end of the day ends with our eyes fried like KFC chicken :D

15. Beatrix W

Jun 14 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

Nice tip from AppleInsider (https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/14/how-to-toggle-dark-mode-with-a-keyboard-shortcut-or-the-touch-bar ) how to toggle dark mode without going to System Preferences. They do a video and Automator. Us developers just need the core which is an AppleScript:

tell application "System Events"
    	tell appearance preferences
    		set dark mode to not dark mode
    	end tell
    end tell
  16. Sam R

Jun 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Beatrix W Nice tip from AppleInsider (https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/14/how-to-toggle-dark-mode-with-a-keyboard-shortcut-or-the-touch-bar ) how to toggle dark mode without going to System Preferences. They do a video and Automator. Us developers just need the core which is an AppleScript:

Don't use this in an application you intend to ship on the Mac App Store, it will get rejected for attempting to script "System Preferences"

17. Beatrix W

Jun 14 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

That's not for an application but for us developers when testing.

18. Thom M

Jun 19 Pre-Release Testers Greater Hartford Area, CT

Just promoting the Feedback case for this. For some users, this will be a big deal, so we should make our voices heard by Xojo as best as we can. Feedback Case #52391

19. Sam R

Jun 19 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

All I can say at this point is to check out the upcoming edition of xDevMag :)

20. 3 months ago

That will be really useful is that in a future version of Xojo will be Dark Mode capable. Yes I mean that XOJO's IDE will be in dark Mode instead of Normal mode as nowadays.

Its very comfortable for many of us, who are sitting a lot of time, in front of a computer coding, developing, and much more.

21. 7 weeks ago

Vaughn C

Sep 2 Pre-Release Testers Tropic of Cancer

It seems its not explicitly mentioned, so I'll include this tidbit if someone ends up here:

Aside from targeting 10.14 SDK as Gavin mentioned, if you want Mojave to attempt dark mode in your older app, add this in its Info.plist file. It is safely ignored in earlier OS versions.

NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance=false

Source: Apple Developer: Choosing a Specific Appearance for Your App

Conversely, you can use true to prevent Dark Mode in an app that is targeting 10.14 but is not ready for Dark Mode.

or Sign Up to reply!