New Look Cross Platform Database Application

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 weeks ago

Helge T

Jun 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Oslo, Norway)

@Richard D which icons are you talking about?

it is a program, that once it is installed, gives you a very quick access to a lot of icons, which you can drag and drop into applications for use.

And you can search by name, etc... very nice.

3. Richard D

Jun 8 Pre-Release Testers Europe (UK, London)

@SteveKelepouris In the "western" sense of reading, it would be more useful to show prominence from left to right, then down the page, and therefore the "hard gray box" does look out of place.

Hi Steve,

where should i put all those button on the sidebar (where "hard gray box" is and the title and function is )??

4. Richard D

@Rich H -image-

so what should go to the section for search option and what should go to the content?? i assume the menu section is the new stackview

5. Richard D

@Markus W The ugly blue background has to go, the icons need a complete redesign, and have a look at Martin’s StackView class for starters.

thanks for recommend Martin's Stackview to me.

6. David C

Jun 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Derby, ITM

I don't know if this is the best, but it's the design goal I'm using for my latest Web app:

• a single toolbar on the left (width is almost always > height) that replaces itself with another in the same location as you drill down
    • a back arrow to drill back up the tree. Ubiquitous log out and home button buttons.
    • every toolbar has an Export popup menu that allows the current listbox to be exported (to XLSX using Einhugur, CSV, TSV or PDF using DynaPDF, and either downloaded or emailed using CURLMBS)
    • Help is always one button away, but given low priority
    • dividing lines separate the disparate types of buttons
    • the toolbar item clicked remains greyed to show you where you are
    • a segmented bar across the top to allow multiple full-screens of content
    • a search bar directly above the listbox it's searching. To it's right is the total number of items in the listbox or 'X of Y items' if a search has been performed
    • the listbox is colour coordinated with the content and always centred (except where it doesn't make sense)
    • all fields are below the listbox and are emptied and show as grey/disabled if no listbox item is highlighted, otherwise they colour match the rest of the screen
    • all items, containers and windows have a white background to make it appear that the elements are floating
    • the buttons have a hover event that sets a grey shade that is offset to make the button pop as the move moves over it and show it has the focus
    • if there is something time-consuming then a large progress wheel appears in the bottom-left corner
    • it is able to scale well from small to large screens since you can determine in the Fields tab how many fields are displayed, plus you have access to almost 100% of the screen width.

What I cannot do yet — I would love to be able to make the toolbar appear or disappear when the mouse is hovered over it.

-image-

7. Neil B

Jun 8 Pre-Release Testers

@David Cox What I cannot do yet — I would love to be able to make the toolbar appear or disappear when the mouse is hovered over it.

A fly out menu? I did a proof of concept at one point but never used it in a production app. The space at the left can contain an icon, but isn't shown in this clip.

-image-

8. Emile S

Jun 8 Europe (France, Strasbourg)
    Edited 2 weeks ago

When I saw the "all in blue" window, I liked it. This recalls me The Boy in Blue (Thomas Gainsborough):

-image-

9. David C

Nice. I like how it reduces when you hover away. Is it making a Container visible/invisible? I could place a toolbar inside a container.

10. David C

He missed his forehead and hand with his spray tan. I hope he could run fast at school.

11. Neil B

Edited 2 weeks ago

A container didn't work on windows because buttons underneath would receive the click. A container might work on Mac but on windows I had to use a border-less window. I had to use declares to remove the border of a plain box window. There are issues with scaling and multiple monitor setups but here is the project (as is!) if you would like to get ideas.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt8ilp3b5it4z0j/Snap%20Design.xojo_binary_project?raw=1

12. David C

Got it, thanks…

13. Julian S

Jun 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

@Neil B A container didn't work on windows because buttons underneath would receive the click.

This was probably due to limitations in the Xojo framework before the recent windows update in 2018r1. It's pretty simple now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkhatmm7v9aye3c/ToolbarExpand.xojo_binary_project?dl=1

Works perfectly in Windows on 2018r1.1 but ironically it doesn't in macos if there a textbox with behind the expanded toolbar then you see the caret rendering on top of the container and it also clicks things behind the expended toolbar (might need a few feedback tickets to find out if these are bugs or not).

14. Richard D

@Neil B A container didn't work on windows because buttons underneath would receive the click. A container might work on Mac but on windows I had to use a border-less window. I had to use declares to remove the border of a plain box window. There are issues with scaling and multiple monitor setups but here is the project (as is!) if you would like to get ideas.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt8ilp3b5it4z0j/Snap%20Design.xojo_binary_project?raw=1

is this for windows machine only??

15. Neil B

Yes there are declares that work only on windows. You would need to modify it for mac. It's a very rough/untested project because it was only a proof of concept.

16. Richard D

@Neil B Yes there are declares that work only on windows. You would need to modify it for mac. It's a very rough/untested project because it was only a proof of concept.

i actually got it working by adding the following line to the paint

Adding 'If ParentControl <> Nil Then' to the 'If parentcontrol.ItemCount = 0 Then Return' and end the old thing with 'end If'

it look a bit weird since the opened menu is another window with title bar on top and it show a bit lower the the original closed menu

17. Hi Richard I have ask to Axialis for the Mac OS version and I have response, hi say me few days to put the Mac OS version.
    I Hoope this help you, have a nice day,
    JD

18. Richard D

Jun 10 Pre-Release Testers Europe (UK, London)

@J D Hi Richard I have ask to Axialis for the Mac OS version and I have response, hi say me few days to put the Mac OS version.
    I Hoope this help you, have a nice day,
    JD

Thanks J.D ... will check it out in a few days

19. last week

Edwin v

Jun 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands
    Edited last week

@Tim P Some basic guidelines that are easy to follow:

No custom background colors.
    No custom fonts either

Oh darn... and here I am sitting and working my 'behind' off to get the &CFF0000 Comic Sans font all over my &c0000FF UI...

20. Tim P

Jun 11 Pre-Release Testers, XDC Speakers

@Edwin vden ;Akker Oh darn... and here I am sitting and working my 'behind' off to get the &CFF0000 Comic Sans font all over my &c0000FF UI...

Not to say I told you so, but macOS Dark Mode proves my point.

Side note &cFF00FF is my favorite testing color since it's very visible.

21. Edwin v

Jun 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands
    Edited last week

Wow... magenta is really retro, thus visible. You've got your point. I usually go for a slightly modest &c006699, a dark turquoise.

But er... macOS Dark Mode? Can't I say I heard about that one. How do I use it?

or Sign Up to reply!