Web-App doesn't start after updating to 2018-R1.1

1. ‹ Older
  2. last week

Ralph A

Jun 12 Santa Monica, California
    Edited last week

Have you thought about ServerWarp or XojoCloud? Just as XojoCloud, ServerWarp specializes in servers configured for Xojo.

3. Greg O

Jun 13 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

@dave d Im so confused, now. If my app does not even get to the first line of session.open, how can my app possibly be using 100% of the cpu. There is nothing in app.open that would use any sort of CPU.

Because Events on the app class run before the Session events do. App.Open on launch obviously, and App.HandleUrl for each request that comes in.

4. Jason P

Jun 13 Xojo Inc http://xojo.com/
    Edited last week

@Alberto D;Poo From the information I read from this thread, the problem happens on CentOS and not Ubuntu, also from other thread someone is having same/related problem with raspberryPi.

Xojo Cloud is using Centos - so it seems limited to Alexandre’s server at this point. The Pi issues are likely not the same issue - Pi’s are consuming 100% of the CPU which is not the same as Alexandre’s issue.

5. 6 days ago

Alexandre C

Jun 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Brazil

@brian f Ah well maybe the mystery has been solved!

Never ran or installed Cpanel before so did not think about it using it's own libraries.

It work with compiled version of XOJO 2017r3

So…

6. Alexandre C

Jun 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Brazil

@Ralph A Have you thought about ServerWarp or XojoCloud? Just as XojoCloud, ServerWarp specializes in servers configured for Xojo.

But that's not the point anyway.

I'm using a compiled version of 2017R3 and it's ok!… so, i want to use 2018r1.1…
    All requirements are fulfilled. I really want to know what's the problem.

Alex

7. brian f

Jun 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chilly California

@Alexandre C It work with compiled version of XOJO 2017r3

So…

OK so the search continues

8. Greg O

Jun 14 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC
    Edited 6 days ago

@Alexandre C But that's not the point anyway.

I'm using a compiled version of 2017R3 and it's ok!… so, i want to use 2018r1.1…
    All requirements are fulfilled. I really want to know what's the problem.

Alex

But it only fails on your server. As we have mentioned before, Xojo Cloud runs on CentOS 7.x, so the bug is not in Xojo. It is a configuration issue on your server. We periodically have to change libraries and compilers to keep moving forward which may mean that servers need to be reconfigured to support the updates.

You have already said that your apps work in a CentOS 7 VM, so the problem is most likely caused by the CPanel library replacements. Have you tried installing the same version of cpanel on your vm to see if that makes Xojo apps fail too?

EDIT: NM. I see that they no longer have an open source version to install.

9. 5 days ago

Alexandre C

Jun 16 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Brazil

Let me see if I get it.

As far as I know, cpanel is "nothing more" than a set of libraries, applications, etc. that helps in configuring the server, its hosts, databases, etc.

it does not "overwrite", nor even "nullifies" the base operating system.
    right?

(if i'm wrong, xojo.inc guys MUST say on the documentation that it ONLY WORKS ON "PLAIN" operating system.)

another point: is there no interest in xojo.inc to investigate in order to better guide its users?

because now I have a bigger problem, in front of several suggestions telling me to change my servers ...

I have some applications from different clients hosted on the same host. it'll be crazy for me to have to change hosts!
    the most sensible, not only for me, but for all users, to know PREVIOUSLY what are the incompatibilities of xhojo with this or that configuration.

say that is compatible with Linux / CentOS and forget to put the fine print that does not work with cPanel is really unacceptable.

is the same as saying that it is compatible with MacOS, but if you put your mac next to a window where it hits the sun, it will stop working ...

10. Alberto D

Jun 16 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 5 days ago

Alexandre, I will be hard for Xojo to find the problem with your host provider if they can't test/have control of the real configuration.

Your provider did say:

it's not "plain vanilla" CentOS. This is a cPanel server, cPanel often has its own libraries and implementations [i][b]that interact quite differently with third party software[/b][/i].

There is a Cpanel trial for 15 days.

What we know:
    1.- Xojo 2017r3 works with your host provider
    2.- Xojo 2018 doesn't work with your host provider, but it works with other hosts
    3.- Your host provider uses Cpanel

What we don't know:
    1.- If Xojo 2018 is not compatible with Cpanel or just with your host provider

What I would do if I have more linux/VPS experience:
    1.- Create a CentOS installation with Digital Ocean or Vultr
    2.- Install the libraries needed to make Xojo 2018 web apps work there
    3.- Download/install the Cpanel 15 day trial
    4.- Make sure it works or it doesn't work
    If it works, then there is something missing with your host. If it doesn't work, then repeat the test with other CentOS version or maybe Ubuntu, test Cpanel again.

If we can prove that Cpanel is incompatible with Xojo 2018, then Xojo should add that information to the documents. Then, they can use that information to find what is missing/wrong with Xojo 2018 and Cpanel.

Good luck

11. Rick A

Jun 16 (Brazil. GMT-3:00)
    Edited 5 days ago

Just create a CentOS VM in your machine and test. If it's ok, install Cpanel, create a Cpanel user account, use it as a client, upload app as usual, check everything, and test again.

12. Rick A

Jun 16 (Brazil. GMT-3:00)
    Edited 5 days ago

To install the Cpanel trial, go to your "Linux server" terminal and:

cd /home && curl -o cpanel_installer latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh cpanel_installer
  13. 4 days ago

Alexandre C

@Rick A Just create a CentOS VM in your machine and test. If it's ok, install Cpanel, create a Cpanel user account, use it as a client, upload app as usual, check everything, and test again.

already created. it's working. so i think the problem is cpanel.

14. Alexandre C

@Rick A To install the Cpanel trial, go to your "Linux server" terminal and:

cd /home && curl -o cpanel_installer latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh cpanel_installer

Excellent!

I'll do it tonight!!

15. Alexandre C

@Alberto D;Poo Alexandre, I will be hard for Xojo to find the problem with your host provider if they can't test/have control of the real configuration.

Your provider did say:

it's not "plain vanilla" CentOS. This is a cPanel server, cPanel often has its own libraries and implementations [i][b]that interact quite differently with third party software[/b][/i].

There is a Cpanel trial for 15 days.

What we know:
    1.- Xojo 2017r3 works with your host provider
    2.- Xojo 2018 doesn't work with your host provider, but it works with other hosts
    3.- Your host provider uses Cpanel

What we don't know:
    1.- If Xojo 2018 is not compatible with Cpanel or just with your host provider will check tonight

What I would do if I have more linux/VPS experience:
    1.- Create a CentOS installation with Digital Ocean or Vultr
    2.- Install the libraries needed to make Xojo 2018 web apps work there
    3.- Download/install the Cpanel 15 day trial will do it tonight

4.- Make sure it works or it doesn't work
    If it works, then there is something missing with your host. If it doesn't work, then repeat the test with other CentOS version or maybe Ubuntu, test Cpanel again.

If we can prove that Cpanel is incompatible with Xojo 2018, then Xojo should add that information to the documents. Then, they can use that information to find what is missing/wrong with Xojo 2018 and Cpanel. i hope so!

Good luck

16. Alexandre C

Jun 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Brazil

Hello guys!

centos 7.5 + cpanel on my VMware…

worked!…

so now i'll contact my provider. thank you very much!!

17. Alexandre C

After a new ticket on my provider, the answer…

Have you considered the possibility of kernel-related differences? Our VPS platform runs on specially-modified 2.6 Linux kernel, which cannot be changed at the VPS level. Your VM installs likely used what CentOS ships with natively, which is a 3.x kernel. It's quite possible that the difference in kernel may be to blame here. Have you tried running your updated software on a CentOS install utilizing a 2.6 Linux kernel?

So i'll install the 2.6 linux kernel and check if it works or not.

18. 3 days ago

Alexandre C

My VMWare CentOS 7.5 Cpanel Kernel: 3.10.0-862.3.3.el7.x86_64

My Host Centos 7.2 Cpanel Kernel: 2.6.32-042stab128.2

i'm trying to install older kernel on my vmware, but not success yet.

19. René L

Jun 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Ratingen, Duesseldorf, Germany

Hello @Alexandre C,

Looks like your Hosting Provider is using Virtuozzo System (or the "Free" Version: OpenVZ as VM Host-System. That Kernel 2.6. is a special Kernel used only by Virtuozzo and OpenVZ (and even the only in the RHEL 6.x Version).

Best Regards,

R. Landscheidt

20. yesterday

Alexandre C

yesterday Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Brazil

Yes, the Virtualization environment is OpenVZ.

I confirmed.

So, compiled CGi, 64-bit for Centos 7, with virtualization environment OpenVZ, with Xojo 2018r1.1 DOES NOT WORK.

On documentation only says "CentOS 7" is compatible…

21. Daniel W

yesterday Australia
    Edited yesterday

I'm running 2018r1.1 on centos7 containers with no problems. I just had to run the following to solve dependencies.

yum -y install libsoup libunwind.x86_64

libunwind.x86_64 was the tricky package name for 2018r1.X

Edit:
    I see the OP says you have already installed libunwind.x86_64 so this might not help you.

or Sign Up to reply!