blue pushbutton outlines missing

Hi all. Like the title says…I have a window with several pushbuttons on it, yet only one has the blue outline. I’ve check the settings on each one, and they’re all identical:
default on
cancel off
enabled on
visible on
autodeactivate on
buttonstyle pushbutton
transparent off

It’s a small thing, but I like the blue outline. Any help would be most appreciated. :slight_smile:

I just dropped two “default” buttons, and they have the exact attributes you mentioned, and both are “blue”
you said “outline”… they are “solid” blue, not outlined… I’m on macOS

normally you should only have ONE default button…

@Bill Dawson Do you mean the focus ring?

Buttons don’t have focus rings

They do on a Mac with Full Keyboard Access enabled.

They also do under Windows.

The blue outline shows only when the button is selected. You can change button by pressing “Tab”. Under Windows, when a button is selected that way, pressing Enter will validate it like if it where pushed.

[quote=387882:@Michel Bujardet]They also do under Windows.

The blue outline shows only when the button is selected. You can change button by pressing “Tab”. Under Windows, when a button is selected that way, pressing Enter will validate it like if it where pushed.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. But all my other apps have blue-outlined buttons all the time.

[quote=387857:@Dave S]I just dropped two “default” buttons, and they have the exact attributes you mentioned, and both are “blue”
you said “outline”… they are “solid” blue, not outlined… I’m on macOS

normally you should only have ONE default button…[/quote]
Thanks, Dave. I removed the default settings and still the same thing happens. None of my other windows have this issue.

Screen shot(s) please.

This problem shows up in the xojo ide as well. Odd.

Whatever you say. The Windows standard is that only one button can be selected, and have the blue outline. It is a navigation system. Windows can be used with the keyword only. By using Tab, the user can select which button to push by pressing Enter, or check/uncheck the check boxes.

This has been standard since Windows 1, back in 1985.

But hey, who am I to know ?

[quote=387921:@Michel Bujardet]Whatever you say. The Windows standard is that only one button can be selected, and have the blue outline. It is a navigation system. Windows can be used with the keyword only. By using Tab, the user can select which button to push by pressing Enter, or check/uncheck the check boxes.

This has been standard since Windows 1, back in 1985.

But hey, who am I to know ?[/quote]
no need for the sarcasm. this is honestly the 1st time I’ve seen this behavior. maybe my other apps are buggy somehow, maybe my system is buggy…or any of a million other possibilities. I know what I’ve seen. I always appreciate your help, but I can do without being belittled.

A screen shot comparing the two behaviors would help. Your screenshot looks perfectly normal. Does the focus ring move as you tab through the controls?

I can’t even create an example showing two buttons with focus rings on each (which makes sense to me…)

[quote=387937:@Tanner Lee]A screen shot comparing the two behaviors would help. Your screenshot looks perfectly normal. Does the focus ring move as you tab through the controls?

I can’t even create an example showing two buttons with focus rings on each (which makes sense to me…)[/quote]
I can’t get the other screenshot because as I said, my app/system doesn’t do the multiple outlines thing anymore. If that’s how it’s supposed to be, then I guess just chalk this up as a really stupid question. :wink:

I just reminded you what the blue outline is. Now, if any time someone takes the time to answer your questions you find a way to not like the answer, you do exactly what is required for all to run away when you ask anything.

Ignoring now this ridiculous thread :confused:

Bill, I concur with Michel’s statement that only one button at a time can have the focus in Windows. The blue outline is the focus ring, so unless the UI is specifically tweaked, only one button can have the blue ring at a time. Here is a link that shows how to specifically draw a focus ring (potentially on a control that does not have the focus). Perhaps you did something similar in other applications? Whether this is a good idea is subject to discussion, best to be had over a good beer.

That said, we all have our style. I have mine, Michel has his and you have your’s. I would recommend (as a general rule for everyone, not just for you specifically) staying away from arguing over the sex of angels, who is more right than the other, whether the grass is really greener here or there.) Regardless of style: mild, harsh, sarcastic - some find it funny, etc., answers are provided to help. Sometimes, we hit the bullseye and sometimes we are way off mark. Just take answers as attempts to help. Distill the factual information from the style.

[quote=387946:@Louis Desjardins]Bill, I concur with Michel’s statement that only one button at a time can have the focus in Windows. The blue outline is the focus ring, so unless the UI is specifically tweaked, only one button can have the blue ring at a time. Here is a link that shows how to specifically draw a focus ring (potentially on a control that does not have the focus). Perhaps you did something similar in other applications? Whether this is a good idea is subject to discussion, best to be had over a good beer.

That said, we all have our style. I have mine, Michel has his and you have your’s. I would recommend (as a general rule for everyone, not just for you specifically) staying away from arguing over the sex of angels, who is more right than the other, whether the grass is really greener here or there.) Regardless of style: mild, harsh, sarcastic - some find it funny, etc., answers are provided to help. Sometimes, we hit the bullseye and sometimes we are way off mark. Just take answers as attempts to help. Distill the factual information from the style.[/quote]
Point well made and fully accepted. Thanks for the attitude adjustment.

So right. I apologize for being such an ***hole.

It’s alright :slight_smile: