Spideroak with database

Hi, I am some clients using the spider oak backup for the company server.

i am just wondering how this will affect the database when it is in use (when running my application).

have anyone have experience with freezing of the application when the backup is syncing

You didn’t say what database you’re using! Important.

I would schedule a backup process to export out a file, and then use Spider Oak to back up that file. I wouldn’t rely on a backup solution to accurately backup a database file, even if it was “simple” like SQLite.

HTH. $0.02.

[quote=387887:@Kevin J Cully]You didn’t say what database you’re using! Important.

I would schedule a backup process to export out a file, and then use Spider Oak to back up that file. I wouldn’t rely on a backup solution to accurately backup a database file, even if it was “simple” like SQLite.

HTH. $0.02.[/quote]

The client use SQLite with cubeSQL server backend

How large is your database typically? Is Spideroak doing blocklevel backup? Does SQLite have it’s own backup command?

The larger the database is the more annoying a backup becomes. If Spideroak is not doing blocklevel backups then a large database may cause problems with the network.

If SQLite has it’s own backup command this should make sure that the data is flushed and that the users don’t have to wait. https://sqlite.org/backup.html ???

so if the database file is not in used, then it can be backup and NOT when it is being use by other machines with the application

in this scenerio replace the word SpiderOak with Amazon S3 and what would you do?
SpiderOak is a “lower end” cloud storage company. nothing wrong with them, just smaller and less features than the big boys.

me personally I would not backup the sqlite file that cubeSQL is using. I would do a sqlite backup to a file and back that up.

my cubesql schedule backup the file everyday at noon and at midnight.

so i assume even the small little sqlite file on the program folder for report definition and preference should not be sync either