I'm trying to create a custom class to be re-used in a variety of future project I have in mind.
This class will pretty much consist of a canvas (although I "might" use a TextView instead, but that is not important)
What this will do is emulate a "teletype" or more closely the edit screen in early PC/desktop computers. Text only, 80 char per line, fixed font (Menlo)
What I am trying to determine is what built in functions need to be available and exposed to the controlling app
- CLEAR - this will clear the screen, and move the "cursor" the the top/left
- PRINT(s) will append the text in "s" to the controls buffer and update the display
- BACKSPACE - moves cursor back, but not before beginning of current line entry [NonDestructive]
- DELETE - moves cursor back, but not before beginning of current line entry [Destructive]
- TEXTCOLOR - set the color for any text from the PRINT command
- BACKCOLOR - set the display background color (Default=BLACK) .... I MAY get fancy and allow background changes same as TEXTCOLOR
This control will be somewhat "generic" in that it won't be tied to WHAT the app needs.... the app will accept entered text and decide what to "do" with it outside of the control. The control is soley for entering and display of the text data itself (think TRS-80 or IBM PC, QuickBasic etc)
No plans to add ability to set cursor position (other than bksp, and as char are appended
What features can anyone thing of the would be required for such a control.... other that what I mentioned?