XDC2018 Open Conversation - Day 1

Howdy all. I’m sitting here in the Magnolia Ballroom in Denver, CO with about 30 minutes to go before @Geoff Perlman starts the keynote address. I’ll post updates here for those who couldn’t attend, and, as always, welcome comments and observations from everyone.

Let’s do this…

If you’re still over in the hotel, cross 17th Street to the Ballroom (big, blue awning) to grab some breakfast and chat while we wait.

112 chairs are here if I counted correctly.

thanks kem… i will follow this thread

Wherein @Christian Schmitz reveals that he has too much time on his hands. :slight_smile:

Always appreciate your updates, Kem.

To paint the picture for those unfortunates who could not be here, the Magnolia Hotel is on one side of the street (and a nice hotel it is – more on that later) and the Ballroom on the other. We are sitting here in this giant room at tables 6 deep on each side of the room facing a giant screen. This is the venue today because the conference rooms in the hotel are being used by someone else (the nerve!), so it will be a single track of sessions today broken up by lunch in the main hotel. Tomorrow and Friday we will use the hotel’s conference rooms for two tracks of sessions throughout the day.

Why is the hotel so nice? Aside from the usuals (clean, comfortable, convenient), they put out milk and cookies in the lobby every night from 8-10 pm. They had me at “cookies”.

The hotel was the first skyscraper in Denver, built around 1910. 12 stories.
And the ballroom has a restroom in the fault, so I bet it was a bank before.

Could someone in attendance please stream Keynote for Xojo users who are not in Denver live on YouTube?

@Martin T I’m sure that would not make the Xojo staff happy.

@Paul Lefebvre takes the stage, the crowd goes wild…

Paul is giving us some event information now, including the logistics I mentioned above. Meet for dinner in the hotel lobby at 6:30 pm.

@Geoff Perlman takes the stage…

[quote=384433:@Kem Tekinay]To paint the picture for those unfortunates who could not be here, the Magnolia Hotel is on one side of the street (and a nice hotel it is – more on that later) and the Ballroom on the other. We are sitting here in this giant room at tables 6 deep on each side of the room facing a giant screen. This is the venue today because the conference rooms in the hotel are being used by someone else (the nerve!), so it will be a single track of sessions today broken up by lunch in the main hotel. Tomorrow and Friday we will use the hotel’s conference rooms for two tracks of sessions throughout the day.

Why is the hotel so nice? Aside from the usuals (clean, comfortable, convenient), they put out milk and cookies in the lobby every night from 8-10 pm. They had me at “cookies”.[/quote]

I just wanted to correct a statement here - this was the plan for the general session the whole time. We planned to do a full day in the ballroom across the street for the general session. We did not book the breakout rooms for today.

XDC sold out this year 2 months before the conference. 24% of attendees are first-timers. (Introduce yourselves!) 12 countries are represented. 31 sessions and two evening events.

The XDC app is available for iOS, but not Android… yet.

[quote=384435:@Christian Schmitz]The hotel was the first skyscraper in Denver, built around 1910. 12 stories.
And the ballroom has a restroom in the fault, so I bet it was a bank before.[/quote]
Yes, both buildings were built as a bank, which is why the ballroom is across the street. :slight_smile: Make sure to check out the cool safe deposit box art in the lobby. They’re original bank fixtures! We posted a pic on our Instagram.

Talking about the forum now. 18,000 members now.

The forum software is esoTalk by Toby Zerner. The software had been discontinued but Geoff offered to pay him to continue, so he did, but went further. He designed new software, Flarum, that was esoTalk reimagined. It’s in beta now, but that’s where Xojo will go when it’s ready. All content will transfer over.

http://flarum.org

Now talking about Xojo Cloud. Over 1 billion scans, but still zero breaches.

Handing out Design Awards now.

@Gavin Smith, who isn’t here, gets an award for Server Ranger. Nice going Gavin.